Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

New Year/New Craft?

(18 Posts)
PoshGran Fri 13-Jan-17 14:53:34

Is anyone out there battling with taking up a new craft in '17?

Personally I'm in a consolidating stage at the moment. I tried to teach myself shuttle tatting last year when a temporary flare-up of arthritis made knitting & cross-stitch almost impossible for a while. YouTube was reasonably helpful - up to the point where left hand was wound up with thread, right hand with shuttle (did she say over or under the thread?) and I need a third hand to pause/backtrack the commentary!
Then I found out about needle tatting smile. Much easier to do, producing very similar results to shuttle work and possibly a little quicker. My efforts to date include about 20 butterflies, two circular table centrepieces,an edged hankey and dozens of "snowflakes".

What's everyone else up to?

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 15:58:00

Sounds interesting Posh, not heard of needle tatting

kittylester Fri 13-Jan-17 16:03:58

Please post pictures.

I'm totally non creative so not much hope for me.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jan-17 16:38:52

I just looked it up on utube, am more interested now

PoshGran Fri 13-Jan-17 16:54:21

Hi Kitty
I only have use of a temperamental camera & haven't needed to take photos of my work before. Give me a couple of days to set up & fathom uploading to this site. (Only joined yesterday!!wink)

Greyduster Fri 13-Jan-17 18:00:12

When I was small I used to sit and watch my sister's mother in law do shuttle tatting; beautiful work. This very patient old lady tried, and failed, to teach me to crochet, and I still can't so I would be hopeless, but I've never heard of needle tatting and would like to see how it is done.

PoshGran Sat 14-Jan-17 11:15:13

PoshGran's tatting!

PoshGran Sat 14-Jan-17 11:20:29

A selection (most) of my work to date.Diameter of top left doily is about 13 ins. The snowflakes are my "go to" project - which is to make a cover for the entire table by next Christmas! DiL's mother is also promised an edged hanky similar to lower left.

Greyduster Sat 14-Jan-17 16:31:23

Superb! I don't think I'd have the patience. Well done!

NanaandGrampy Sat 14-Jan-17 17:02:36

Oh beautiful !

Too fine a work for my clumsy fingers and failing eyesight I think . I'll still with crotchet .

But I love your work PoshGran

Izabella Sat 14-Jan-17 17:56:06

Lovely. Where do you find time?

GracesGranMK2 Sat 14-Jan-17 18:17:36

PoshGran they are beautiful. I am a sewer and have decided to develop my knowledge of machine heirloom sewing. I love hand sewing as well so that may include a diversion into smocking - I have tried it in the past and am not sure I have the patience for all that gatheringsmile. The only problem is that as this is a minority craft most of the classes seem to be in the USA but there are a couple of online/CD ones that look interesting.

I have never done tatting but can knit and love crochet - crochet tends to win of those two smile but I have always been interested in the results of tatting and look forward to seeing more of your work.

kittylester Sat 14-Jan-17 18:43:48

Those are lovely Poshgran and would be beyond my capabilities. I'm very impressed!

Pammigran Sat 14-Jan-17 20:23:53

I taught myself tatting from a book, I found that it was a case of getting the tension right so the loop was formed. I have to admit it often landed in the hearth through frustration then my mum would say she would fling it in the fire.

I've had to stop knitting, machine knitting and crochet due to arthritis in my neck so now I make cards and other paper/card crafts. I don't buy a cards now so I can justify the cost of my craft.

desjumeaux Sun 15-Jan-17 07:08:50

they are beautiful

PRINTMISS Sun 15-Jan-17 08:41:50

They are really beautiful Poshgran, lots of patience I think. I had to re-read your post GracesGran I read the word 'sewer' and thought surely not! The English language.

Teetime Sun 15-Jan-17 09:37:03

Love the tatting poshgran so neat and lovely. I am trying to t5each myself to crochet but not getting on very well.

PoshGran Sun 15-Jan-17 15:14:44

Many thanks all for your kind words.

Izabella - I often tat in the evening, half-watching tv or listening to cd or radio. I also am lucky enough to be a member of a weekly Knit & Natter group which has been going for years & has about 20 members & meets in a village hall 5 minutes away from where I live.

GracesGran - I did some smocking at school: we were allowed to "do something different" in our final year as long as it was based on the various ginghams that we had as our "house" colour.Some people did cross stitch, others embroidery but a few of us smocked. I don't think we actually produced anything of note & seem to remember my final piece of work incorporated a bit of everything (otherwise known as a dog's dinner!), but the gingham fabric was a great starting point for smocking!
Am curious about machine heirloom sewing - more info please....

Pammigran - For me, with shuttle tatting, it was getting the "flip" right (you'll know what I mean). I always admired the cardmaking prowess of one of my group's (see above)members, and I agree with you about justifying costs, whether it's in either actual or personal terms.

Teetime - Stick with it!(says she who has never seriously tried it & only uses a crochet hook to help with & perhaps embellish knittinggrin)

Talking of Craft Groups - is anyone else a member of one?

I recently approached our local branch of H*Craft to see if they had one or were thinking of setting one up - alas the answers were no and no because they were very busy sad. I think I might nudge them again in the not too distant future.