Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing Forum gone

(35 Posts)
eddiecat78 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:41:22

I`m clutching at straws here but I was a regular visitor to The Sewing Forum (a separate forum, not part of Gransnet) but it seems to have vanished. I`m really missing it as it was very helpful for sewing advice. Just wondered if anyone knows anything about it

henryleo025 Mon 09-Aug-21 16:39:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Susie42 Sat 15-Aug-20 13:59:57

@Tiwi
Just a quick note to say it's "Sewing Machine World" not just Machine World. There are one or two sewing machine companies out there which should be avoided at all costs.

Sewing Machines Direct are based in Wrexham and Sewing Machine World is in King's Lynn.

Tiwi Sat 15-Aug-20 08:13:15

@Susie42 and @Bathsheba thank you!
I've never heard about those companies being sold. That makes sense, if the quality not as good a in the past.
I'll check Machine World or Sewing Machines Direct.

Bathsheba Tue 11-Aug-20 13:08:30

I second Susie’s advice about modern Singers. The brand was sold, along with a couple of others (Pfaff and Husqvrna I think, but don’t quote me on that!). Anyway, they’re no longer made by Singer, and have nothing like the quality and reliability of the original machines.

Susie42 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:59:12

I would steer well clear of modern Singers. I can recommend either Sewing Machine World or Sewing Machines Direct if you are planning to buy on line, both companies offer excellent advice with regard to choosing a machine suitable for you or visit your local dealer if there is one near you. It also depends on how much you want to pay as prices range from about £50 to £12,000 but £500 should get you a good basic machine.

Tiwi Tue 11-Aug-20 04:08:16

Hello everyone! I’m new to this forum, but I need your recommendations. I’ve begun sewing just this month. I’m using my mom’s old sewing machine, but I realized that it is not as good as I want it to be. I think of buying a new one, but I don’t have any idea what machine should I choose.
Here www.craftyhangouts.com/best-sewing-machines-for-cosplay/ I found a good comparison. Singer Start 1304 looks nice, though if someone uses it, please let me know, I would be happy to hear your comments on it.

craftyone Sat 16-May-20 17:38:18

anything to do with sewingland by any chance Li`tom? I personally got some very good machines from GUR with the most excellent customer service
www.gursewingmachines.com/

I think we need a dedicated sewing thread again, I am raring to get back to it. First I need to sort my new sewing room, I moved into this new build exactly a year ago and could not find some things yesterday so upmarket pegboards and shelves are now ordered

I have a bernina sewing machine, babylock overlocker and babylock cover stitch, all out and ready to use, I took the keyboard shelf off a desk which holds the two babylocks and the bernina is on a horn foldaway table with a perspex insert. I have the cheval mirror, the ironing board, the pressing cloths, tailors ham and so on but I need to sort my bits and bobs

LiTom Mon 27-Apr-20 05:10:32

I recommend this forum sewing.patternreview.com if you are still up to date smile Also, if you're into sewing, I'm sure you'll be interested in these reviews sewingland.org/best-computerized-sewing-machine/. Yesterday, I got my sister one of them.

LiTom Fri 24-Apr-20 09:19:33

I wanted to share that I found an excellent sewing guide in leather and a review site, there is only about sewing, so I'm sure you will like it sewingland.org/best-sewing-machine-for-leather/. I've ordered a few tools from there for my work.

Susie42 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:51:41

I too was a member of The Sewing Forum and I think the end of it was contentious. I now belong to The Sewing Place, which is very friendly and supportive. I also belong to Pattern Review which is good for sewing advice but doesn't have the cosiness of TSP.

Urmstongran Wed 11-Mar-20 09:57:36

Honestly I have to give my head a wobble sometimes. I don’t even sew - so why peep here in the first place ha!

Then I notice
Aargh! the OP was from 2017 as well.
That’s 10 minutes I won’t get back again!

lolpost Wed 11-Mar-20 09:29:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Alectia Wed 04-Mar-20 08:47:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

boss567 Wed 11-Dec-19 21:38:35

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Lisalou Wed 01-May-19 07:21:01

Looks like a fun website - i wish i had the time to join in with some of those contests - maybe one day in the future, when i retire...if i ever do

Dillyduck Tue 30-Apr-19 20:45:32

I used to belong to The Sewing Forum too. Now I've found the American "Pattern Review" site and pop in there from time to time. It's especially handy if you have a pattern you are not sure whether to make up, or not. People show what they have made, what adjustments they've done, and say whether or not they'd recommend it and make it again. They also have competitions and forums for various aspects of sewing.

Benjaminphillips Tue 30-Apr-19 08:18:10

panita123 Thu 31-Jan-19 06:56:15

RonaldMak Wed 30-Jan-19 18:06:02

yogagran Mon 27-Mar-17 20:00:25

We could always start a GN sewing room thread here

Tallulah57 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:55:48

There are many contributors on this forum that were also on the the sewing forum, hope this helpssmile.

Tallulah57 Sun 26-Mar-17 20:41:36

Hi try this, www.thesewingplace.org.uk

GrannyA11i Wed 08-Feb-17 21:51:54

Oh I loved that forum too! People were so helpful! I hope I'll be able to join the Reddit one.
We could always have a sewing cafe here like the soup kitchen!

Lisalou Wed 08-Feb-17 20:44:36

franhaselden, am on my way over there now. Thank you!!!

eddiecat78 Wed 08-Feb-17 14:16:13

thanks so much - Ive tried to sign up - not convinced I have done it right but fingers crossed!