Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Which batting do I need?

(9 Posts)
puppylove7 Sat 11-Feb-17 23:21:05

I'm thinking of making a fabric book, similar to the busy books for children, and I think that I would need to use some sort of batting to strengthen the pages, but I haven't a clue which to get. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

ninathenana Sun 12-Feb-17 08:45:28

Battening wouldn't work, it would either be to fragile or too heavy.
You need to soak the page material in a 50/50 solution of PVA and water and leave flat to dry

Nansypansy Mon 13-Feb-17 06:33:55

I would probably use the heaviest iron on vylene.

suzied Mon 13-Feb-17 07:16:15

You can get heavyweight iron on woven interfacing used for making bags etc. That would give the outer fabric some rigidity.

ginny Mon 13-Feb-17 08:20:16

Most good patchwork shops will have a variety of batting and similar. Ask at you local one or send an e-mail to one on line , they will advise you.

ninathenana Mon 13-Feb-17 08:34:19

Well I got that totally wrong gringrin
I wiĺl own up to my ignorance and go hide in the corner and not look at the craft thread again.

Lisalou Mon 13-Feb-17 19:32:25

I agree with you ninathenana, batting wouldnt work, but the woven interfacing would, as suggested by suzied. I like your suggestion too - might try that at some time :D

pen50 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:21:09

ninathenana, batting is the American word for wadding. So many craft sites and books are American in origin that many people (myself included) find themselves using US words because they've become more familiar. I do have a bit of a battle with myself about it. It's particularly irksome when doing crochet as the same phrase can mean something different in each language.

maureensinicola Fri 29-Sep-17 16:50:37

Hello puppylove7

If I were to make a fabric book I would use a cotton wadding (80/20) and cotton fabric . This combination would work well if sewing by hand or machine. xxx