Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Novice buying a sewing machine, advice and recommendations please?

(56 Posts)
MarionHalcombe Mon 07-Aug-17 19:58:41

Hi. I haven't done any sewing for about 30 years, I could make simple (very simple!) Clothes.

I'd now like a cheap machine to make curtains and soft furnishings but I'm lost when I look on Amazon.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

PernillaVanilla Wed 23-Jan-19 13:24:14

I have a Brother inovis. It is one of the least complicated and modestly priced computerised models. It is blissfully easy to use and has a wide variety of stitches.

M0nica Mon 31-Dec-18 16:24:44

We bought DGD a sewing machine for Christmas. We couldn't rise to a new one, so looked on ebay. We purchased an ex-hire machine from a School equipment hire company. It came fully serviced and in immaculate condition. DD and I tested it thoroughly. It is a current Janome model and we payed a third of the retail price of a new one.

The controls are slightly different from mine but it took 11 year old DGD only a few minutes to get the hang of it and she was away.

prestbury Mon 31-Dec-18 15:42:08

I don't sew but my wife does in a big way. Her machines are 3 x Janome, 1 standard machine, 1 embroidery machine with digitiser and 1 overlocker. She also has a vintage treadle Singer with full cabinet and draws.

Me, I retreat to the man cave smile

oldgaijin Sun 23-Dec-18 09:53:45

I would steer clear of Lidl machines...once the bottom tension goes, they are murder to sort out. I have a thirty year old Pfaff (computerised) and has been wonderful. Have you a sewing machine shop near you? You may be able to pick up a reasonably priced machine that someone has traded in when upgrading.

ReginaD Fri 03-Aug-18 09:35:37

My aunt - she was a professional sewer - is so pleased with Janome we bought her for the last Christmas. At first we thought she wouldn't like all these electronic features. But she totally surprised us (in a good way!). She adore decorative stitches and uses them quite often. It's very useful for us, 'cause most of our curtains were made by her. And now she's encouraging me to buy another one for myself, so I could accompany her smile
So i'd recommend you to look at something like this (second one): wisepick.org/janome-sewing-machine-reviews/ or something like that. If I'm not mistaken, my aunts machine is from the same model line.

HildaW Mon 30-Jul-18 20:39:42

When the Great British Sewing bee was on....they used Janome. Its not a bad idea to visit a stockist if there is one nearby, you can see and hear the machines in action....some are more noisy than others.
P.S. if you are just into dressmaking type sewing there is absolutely no need to get one with too many 'fancy stitches'. I treated myself to a very technical book on tailoring and sewing so that I could improve on my dressmaking and I was amazed to see how few stiches are really needed. Of course if you want to go down the embroidery or quilting route then you will need something more complicated. But I'd recommend the best non computerised one you can afford for 'just' dress making.

petra Mon 30-Jul-18 20:26:11

If you have problems threading the kneedle.
I was shown this when I did a curtain making course.
Put a piece of white paper behind the kneedle, it works grin

Cowgirlgrandma Sat 28-Jul-18 16:15:30

I too have a Janome. As you progress with your sewing you find you need more features and have to upgrade. I found it a good idea to buy something a little more advanced in the first place. My Janome M 200QDC is great and I am gradually learning to use all its features. Have you heard of Craftsy. This is a website that has lots of online sewing courses. I have learnt a lot! Good luck!

muffinthemoo Tue 24-Jul-18 09:21:15

Have a mid range Janome, very pleased with it. I don’t do curtains though although I do at times work with heavier fabrics.

I have a Brother entry model overlocker but have never got round to going to a class to figure out how to use the dmned thing

Diana54 Tue 24-Jul-18 07:09:48

I have a Bernina 140, that copes with most things including curtains, it's a mid range model, with a range of features, it is quite heavy but lovely to use.
There must be lots of second hand machines at auctions or on EBay so if you can't run to a new one a S/H machine will be cheap

grannyactivist Tue 24-Jul-18 02:05:20

You know when people say they mention something on Gransnet and then get an advert pop up for just that thing? Well a few days ago my son decided he would like a sewing machine for Ch******s and I thought I'd put a thread up asking for advice on which machine to get.........! shockhmm confused grin

SpringyChicken Mon 23-Jul-18 23:50:48

We ordered our daughter's Janome from that company, Mamisissimo and were very pleased with the service. I see they still have a free offer of sewing accessories with the machines which is a fantastic selection of threads, scissors and other bits and bobs. Daughter is a novice sewer and likes her machine very much.

MargaretX Mon 23-Jul-18 20:55:38

Its important to say to the assistant that you are not interested in all those embroidery stitches and other fancy attachments.
It should be quiet and fast. I have heard only good things about Husqvarna machines and of course Bernina.

Farmor15 Mon 23-Jul-18 19:40:17

Update - I brought my old Elna to local sewing machine shop and it seems that part was broken and now obsolete. I was actually quite pleased to have a chance to buy a new one as I weighed the old one and it was 12 kg!

The man in the shop was great - good choice in stock including the Janome brand I had been considering. He showed me a few, giving me a chance to try them, and I was able to play around with them, testing the different stitches and settings. I considered one of the Janome ones, but it was all electronic and he suggested I try a Husqvarna. It didn’t have as many ‘bells and whistles ‘ but was more similar to my old Elna, so I went for it. Model - Viking 116. Mid-range machine, does everything I need and copes with heavier fabrics.

So far I’m happy with purchase, as also with service in independent shop, as suggested by a few other posters. For some things, personal service is better than buying online.

Doodle Sun 22-Jul-18 22:56:41

If you want to make curtains or soft furnishings you may be planning to use thicker material than for dressmaking. The motor in the machine needs to be reasonably heavy duty to cope with the thicker material. If possible get some samples of the material you want to use and try out in the shop first. My machine is quite a decent mid price one (Janome) and will handle ordinary fabrics well. If your layers are too thick then I find mine bangs a bit as it try's to punch the needle through the fabric. When I bought mine I was going for a cheaper model but the woman in the shop said it wouldn't cope with curtains only light dress fabric. Hope this helps and you enjoy your sewing.

Nannarose Sun 22-Jul-18 16:30:44

I agree with those who say find a good independent shop that sells secondhand machines, and go in and talk to them. They will usually offer a basic skills session, and will advise.
I'd also look at local adult education courses (if you still have them) as they may run 'back to sewing courses'.
Also look for independent teachers, you'll find advice at thesewingplace.org.uk/
Look for sewing shows - head for those that emphasis sewing rather than 'craft' and have a good nose about and chat.
Good luck!

Fennel Sun 22-Jul-18 13:00:00

If you are getting on in years (like me) an important feature is ease of threading. Especially the shuttle, and the pickup of its thread from the needle.
And easre of threading the needle.
I have a modern basic Singer and it takes me ages to re-thread.

Farmor15 Sun 22-Jul-18 11:03:59

I have an Elna machine I got for my 21st birthday- but it suddenly stopped working a few days ago. Gave it plenty of oil- my mother’s cure-all - and took it apart as much as possible, to no avail. It seems the bit underneath the bobbin has a problem.

I’ll bring it to the repair shop, but if it can’t be fixed, I’ll be looking for a new one. I’m interested in the Janome brand mentioned in a few posts at beginning of this thread, as posters said they are light- my Elna is very heavy. Anyone else with opinions?

I don’t want a very cheap one- my daughter bought one of the Aldi ones and though it works ok, is noisy and the metal has a kind of rough finish.

Stansgran Sun 22-Jul-18 09:49:14

There is a good sewing machine shop in Sunderland if you are near there. Very helpful . I have a bernina which I love but they have others there.

Mamissimo Sun 22-Jul-18 09:35:25

I’ve always sewed and recently needed to upgrade in modernity terms so that I could take advantage of things like walking feet and stitch in the ditch feet.

I found a wonderful company online and they have great staff who ask you lots of questions about your skills, what you plan to use it for etc and then suggest models for you. Their prices are really competitive and their delivery and customer service is great.

www.sewingmachines.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjw1tDaBRAMEiwA0rYbSJm9U7LbKYWzzZ8-9yEGyVD733pjmSv7fDElQs0X6dY4SJeu9hrw_BoCt8oQAvD_BwE

I don’t work for them! ?

Oopsadaisy53 Sun 22-Jul-18 08:50:25

Didn’t.

Oopsadaisy53 Sun 22-Jul-18 08:49:41

I had my first sewing machine for my 21st birthday, it’s still a great machine, but unless I get a dedicated table and sewing room it will stay in the garage as it’s far too heavy for me to lift.

I have a hand Singer which is in a lovely wooden cabinet.

I have a hand singer which is in a ‘Sarcophogus’ style wooden cabinet, it has every attachment you could ever need if you want to put a ruffle on your smock, or do strange things ( we don’t have an instruction booklet, but there is a website with all the bits named on it)
I use a fairly new Singer for every day sewing that I can easily lift and carry.
Lastly I have a Brother that only does Embroidery, that I used a lot when the GCs were younger, not so much now.
Oh dear it seems I might be a sewing machine collector and dint realise it unless just now!

MamaCaz Sun 22-Jul-18 08:43:29

If you live near a town that has a reputable privately-owned and owner-run sewing machine shop (such as Northampton), I strongly suggest starting there. Such shops have a reputation to maintain, so will want to sell you a machine that suits your needs, and will know what questions to ask you to work that put. Also, the follow-up help can be excellent.

Seven years ago, when DH decided to buy me a machine as a surprise, he did just that, and I became the proud owner of a mid-range Janome that suits my needs perfectly.
On two occasions in the early days, I thought I had broken it (trying to go through too many layers of fabric at once!), and both times the shop sorted it out for me free of charge. Their customer service was great.

I would start somewhere like that - you are under no obligation to buy if you don't think they have anything that suits your needs or budget.

Auntieflo Sun 22-Jul-18 08:36:02

J52, that's exactly what I thought. I've got a Janome one like that as well, and for me it has been ideal, and I have had it for several years now.

J52 Sun 22-Jul-18 08:23:30

That one looks identical to the JohnLewis machine that is made by Janome.
It’s quite light, I bought one to take to my sewing group.