Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting for baby

(5 Posts)
Grannyknot Sat 23-Sep-17 16:47:42

Hi new welcome to Gransnet and to becoming a granny. You will find your knitting skills will improve tremendously. I went from where you describe yourself as being to knitting quite advanced patterns for my grandson, who is now a toddler.

I have a basic garter stitch cardigan pattern for babies, it is knitted all in one. I will find the pattern and send it to you, my DIL loved it because it was so stretchy and easy to get on the baby.

Farmor15 Sat 23-Sep-17 16:41:35

Some of the wool available now is great, like Sirdar Baby Crofter. It's multicoloured in the ball, but when you knit it magically comes out in a FairIsle type pattern. I only started knitting again after my first grandchild was born 2 years ago and have got hooked! I've found it easier to go into wool shop and ask advice on patterns and wool than to look for free patterns online. Sirdar does books of patterns which are better value than buying individually. www.sirdar.co.uk/designs/books/377
The items I knitted have been much appreciated and used and now being worn by second grandchild. I try to choose bright, unisex colours so could be worn by boy or girl.
Enjoy knitting and being a gran!

LadyGracie Sat 23-Sep-17 16:06:33

Go on LoveKnitting.com lots of free baby knitting patterns. Enjoy the new baby

tanith Sat 23-Sep-17 15:52:59

There lots of free downloadable patterns on Ravelry.com. I found some delightful patterns there, as simple or as difficult as you like.
Congrats on the expected new baby.

Newatthis Sat 23-Sep-17 15:11:35

Hi, I am going to be a new gran in November and I'd love to knit something. I can knit although 'basic learner' I would call myself. I want to knit a little cardigan (just stocking stitch maybe) and can't find a pattern. Also some hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.