Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How big is an Aga cover?

(16 Posts)
Elegran Mon 16-Oct-17 17:26:21

No, not to cover the whole Aga (don't be silly ) but to cover the submarine-hatch thingy that comes down over the hotplate. I don't have an Aga and am not familiar with their vital statistics.
Those on sale seem to be about 38cm diameter, but I would like to know for sure. Also - some have loops to anchor them to the hatch handles. How long are those loops. please, and are they usually fixed to the cover at two places or just one?

Elegran Mon 16-Oct-17 17:27:34

And how heatproof do they need to be - or are they more for protecting the enamel?

MawBroon Mon 16-Oct-17 20:07:23

Oh I had this wonderful mental picture of a knitted (or crocheted) cosy to cover the whole AGA.
Labour of love though.
Disappointed grin

Elegran Mon 16-Oct-17 20:20:42

No-one seems to know the answer. I felt sure there would be Aga addicts on GN who could tell me. Perhaps I should ask Jilly Cooper.

Elegran Mon 16-Oct-17 20:21:57

Your idea would keep the heat in and save on fuel, Maw. you should patent it.

Baggs Mon 16-Oct-17 20:39:53

I stick folded teatowels on top of our Rayburn lids, which might answer your suitability question, elegran. Covers are usually to prevent scratches when you out a pan from the oven on top of the lid rather than for any extra insulation.

Rayburn lids are rectangular so can't help you on the size. are there no measurements on an Aga website?

Baggs Mon 16-Oct-17 20:40:34

PUT dammit! Always typing o instead of p.

Baggs Mon 16-Oct-17 20:41:44

PS I have made quilted covers too but I've never attached them. I just chuck 'em off when necessary.

Elegran Mon 16-Oct-17 21:08:30

Thank you, Baggs (My keyboard keeps typing BNaggs, but I am sure you don't )

I am trying to use some of my fabric stash making things to list on Folksy. Quilted casserole cosies and Aga covers seem a good idea. No-one but me listing casserole cosies at the moment (which could be a good sign or a bad one)

Aga's own online shop has them 37cm diameter, but some other sellers make them 38cm. Aga are coy about what is between the front and the back, if anything, but Folksy sellers put in insulation, some polyester, some Insul Bright (polyester with metal fibres, and apparently more heatproof). Aga seems to have made them with loops once upon a time, but not any more (too much work, not enough profit?) and there are complaints on the website from buyers who prefer to be able to hook them on so that they stay in place when the lid is up and now they have to sew on tapes themselves.

If loops make them more attractive to potential buyers, then loops they shall have, but I don't know how big the loops has to be to go over the handle.

grumppa Mon 16-Oct-17 21:26:23

Is this the ultimate First World Problem?

Elegran Mon 16-Oct-17 21:38:45

Casserole carriers must be, Grumpa. They don't seem to exist over here (which is why I thought there might be a desperate need for me to sell make some) but in the States there is a tradition of potluck suppers where everyone cooks something and brings it along. There are many for sale online, and many websites with instructions and patterns. Some of them are very elaborate and complicated. I suspect contributions are judged as much by the way they are wrapped up as by what they taste like.

M0nica Tue 17-Oct-17 07:30:21

Life anywhere is full of small problems, I do hate this 'First World Problem' sneer. It is just virtue signalling.

I love my range cooker, but wouldn't have an Aga or similar if you paid me. That is purely a matter of choice not virtue.

I once bought a crafted cover for my Kenwood Food mixer in a very pretty fabric that matched the kitchen decor. I would like one for my mother's old mixer, which lives in our house in France, but haven't seen any recently.

Elegran Tue 17-Oct-17 09:31:10

Solving small problems is satisfying and keeps the brain working. They may not matter in the grand scheme of things, but it doesn't matter that they don't really matter.

Baggs Tue 17-Oct-17 11:09:42

You could give your Aga lid covers ties, to be tied in knots or bows, rather than loops, elegran, then size is less of a problem. If the ties are made of several folds of fabric they could be tied in reef knots. If bows were the desired effect they'd need to be thinner perhaps. I reckon five inches would be fine with thickish ties.

Baggs Tue 17-Oct-17 11:10:21

I'd do two ties for each cover, for each side of the handle.

Elegran Tue 17-Oct-17 11:15:15

Thanks, Baggs, I'll try that. I have lots of wide bias binding stowed away so might use that, Not wide enough for a reef knot, though, it would tighten up too much.
PS How big are your Raeburn hotplates?