Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What project are you most pleased with?

(68 Posts)
Witzend Fri 27-Apr-18 10:35:22

For me recently it was a couple of gigantic box cushions for a large garden seat in between 2 big raised beds built by son in law.
Having rashly promised to make some, since nothing to buy would fit and would be so expensive to have made, I then wondered whether I was mad! (Or rather more mad than usual...).
However, I ordered 2 big pieces of foam to fit, and then fiddled out patterns, with the help of squared pattern paper from John Lewis.
Lovely garden-flower fabric also came from JL.

My only sticking point was zips long enough to go right round the ends so covers could come off for washing. I was too dense to think of what Dh finally suggested - 2 to meet in the middle! Dhurr... I do sometimes wonder where on earth I was when logical thinking was being dished out!

But they turned out so well and have been much admired. When not used outside they live in dd's new kitchen extension, where little Gdcs enjoy jumping/playing on them.
I'm sure other GNers will have rather more accomplished projects under their belts, but that's my best so far.

LapetEmb1244 Tue 05-Jun-18 16:15:32

I'm more into embroidery and kitchen (food/sweets) projects. The ones that I was pleased with were always those that made people around me happier. A nice marzipan cake for a child's birthday or a nice embroidery piece eve if it were only a design embroidered on a towel or bag. I think that we should all be pleased with anything that makes someone's day better. Have a nice day!

Nanabilly Mon 30-Apr-18 10:29:10

I am so envious of all those who have the patience to do quilting . I thought it would be something I really enjoyed doing being a crafty person. So when my first gs was on the way I decided to make him a pram quilt, start small was my idea.
I duly ordered matching "old MacDonald had a farm "fabrics, got a pattern, cutters etc dusted off my special quilters sewing machine (only called that because of the huge clip on quilting table that came with it otherwise an ordinary sewing machine) .I cut out all the strips and shapes and started sewing......... I hated it !!!
I don't know why I hated it but think it could be the fiddliness of It all . I did complete the quilt but it was a bit messy in parts and I was not proud of it but 6years later it is still in use ... As a bedside floor mat in his bedroom.
So to all you people with the patience and fiddleability to do quilting and enjoy it . I salute you !!

shysal Mon 30-Apr-18 09:51:30

Last week I bought myself a die-cutter and have been experimenting with it. I am quite pleased with the 'inlay' effect on washi taped card.

Rosiebee Mon 30-Apr-18 09:29:04

Linus quilt in the making. Had to set it out on bed to see if star was ok. Few more rows to add.

Rosiebee Mon 30-Apr-18 09:25:45

When I retired from teaching 8 years ago, I seemed to become obsessed with making things. I rediscovered patchwork after a gap of 40 years and started with a simple quilted bed runner. Eventually bought a new sewing machine and now can't stop. DH commented on the rash of seasonal cushion covers that kept popping up and there's a limit to how many quilts the beds need. But a year ago I joined a Linus Project group. They make quilts for children in hospitals, so I can continue to quilt away but with a purpose. Maybe after leaving teaching that's why I felt the need to make stuff. Now need to find homes for all the crocheted shawls that are draped over sofas and do something with the drawful of finished but not framed cross stitch.blush I am pleased with birth samplers I did for both GC and samplers made for our home. Think cross stitch is what I enjoy doing best.

Happysexagenarian Sun 29-Apr-18 20:37:59

I love those cushions witzend and what pretty garden.

Gerispringer I would love to make a quilt but the enormity of it is a little daunting. Maybe one day. Your quilt is stunning, beautiful work!

Hm999 Sun 29-Apr-18 17:45:05

Thanks Gillyknits, I've just bought the crochet book, second hand through Amazon.

Stansgran Sun 29-Apr-18 14:57:32

Love sewing but I'm making patchwork these days which I send off to a hospital shop to raise funds. I do hope they do as I don't know what I'd do with the stuff I make. The last two were scrap quilts and I'm making two more to go as soon as possible

Jalima1108 Sun 29-Apr-18 10:43:30

The cushions look very professional - and the garden looks lovely too!

tanith Sun 29-Apr-18 10:39:50

Love those cushions.
Thanks gillyknits I found it and have it stored to buy when I find the time maybe next Winter.

Witzend Sun 29-Apr-18 10:24:49

Very impressed with all your projects!
Here's a pic of my garden seat cushions for dd. Well over a year ago now but they still look nice.

Might add that there are projects I've abandoned, inc. not long ago a long black card I was knitting for a sister. Did it all except for the band all round the front - the dreaded 'pick up and knit' about a million stitches - nearly went blind/mad trying to do it and eventually gave up. Just as well the yarn wasn't too expensive....

grannyactivist Sat 28-Apr-18 22:38:36

Some wonderful things here - keep posting the photographs. Although I don't have an artistic bone in my body I do enjoy seeing the products of the skills and talents of others.

kaybomba Sat 28-Apr-18 22:07:27

There’s a lovely Facebook group ‘Sewing in the UK’. Everyone is very encouraging and helpful.

Gerispringer Sat 28-Apr-18 20:56:22

I’m a bit of a seamstress so have made wedding dresses, bridesmaids dresses and my own outfits for several weddings as well as special occasion clothes. I have recently made patchwork quilts out of my DH and DS old cotton work shirts, the white ones I dyed and the striped / checked ones I tried to colour coordinate. So far have made 3 and still have a box of old shirts left waiting..

Grammaretto Sat 28-Apr-18 20:35:58

WOW!! you are all giving me a complex. What a creative crowd you are. Maybe I'm on the wrong thread.

I recall setting out to make my DD pyjamas when she was a little girl. By the time I'd sourced the material, pattern, buttons, the cost was about £15. The kind lady in John Lewis suggested I go up to the children's department where I could buy a pair for under £3.

It's sad really that clothes are so cheap to buy but I persevered and was very pleased with those home sewn, seriously expensive PJs and probably have them somewhere in the attic.

My DD went on to study textiles and costume making so perhaps she was inspired by my efforts.

Nanabilly Sat 28-Apr-18 19:00:09

Oh my I adore that knitted caravan!!!
So many fantastic projects completed .thanks for sharing I love this thread as I'm an avid and varied crafted and always have been but I've jumped from one to another so not got perfect or even really good at any but I have enjoyed it all.
I started with knitting at about 8 years old but kept making or losing stitches so gave up pretty quickly on that.
Sadly money was tight when we were a young family and parents never had money to spend on crafty materials but used to watch mum making us summer dresses and knitted thicknits as we called them huge thick zipper jackets that were used as coats in milder weather to save coats for winter. I did pinch offcuts to make dolls clothes though.
Since marrying many years ago I have done
Embroidery.
Cross stitch.
Dressmaking.
KNitting.
Crochet.
Scrapbooking.
Card making.
Wedding stationary...ery???? Which one is it?
I'm sure there is something I've forgotten..
Would really love to have a go at pottery classes but with my fibromyalgia I think I might struggle.

Witzend Sat 28-Apr-18 18:28:22

Lovely fairy castle cake! I made a similar one, not as big, for a dd"s 4th birthday party - she's 41 now. I've still got the recipe - I think it was in Woman's Own. Sponge baked in soup tins for the turrets! Turned out really well.

At the time we were living overseas among a community who thought English people couldn't cook anything, and were sometimes rude enough to say so. So my fairy castle cake was a bit of 'I'll show them' - as well as to please dd. It certainly shut the critics up for a bit!
Might make it for Gdd when she's a bit older.

I love the crocheted caravan! I never did learn to crochet, maybe it's high time I did.

gillyknits Sat 28-Apr-18 18:06:30

Hi Tanith .Yes there is a pattern, it’s from a book called ‘ Let’s go camping’ by Kate Brunning. There’s a cabin, tents and my next project, a canal boat. I adapted things to suit available materials but cotton yarn certainly worked well. Hope you give it a try. It’s a bit fiddly but the rewards are worth it!
The book was on Amazon when I last looked.

AdeleJay Sat 28-Apr-18 17:32:45

Very creative blankets, I love them

AdeleJay Sat 28-Apr-18 17:29:14

Those cakes are fantastic Nandalot

chelseababy Sat 28-Apr-18 17:26:24

Up cycled 4 chairs from my late mums house. It was my first attempt at covering a seat. Have also made various patchwork quilts but the time and money involved means I've called a halt after 3.

chicken Sat 28-Apr-18 17:20:05

Alas, can no longer knit or sew because of arthritic hands. I used to make all the clothes for myself and the kids and for some of the first grandkids. We were taught to sew in the first year at grammar school; my project was a hideous blouse, red with white polka dots, with a Peter Pan collar and puffed sleeves. Luckily, I had grown out of it before it was even finished. The project I'm most proud of at the moment is my new vegetable garden, two large raised beds which are already full to bursting with healthy little veg. plants all grown from seed. I really need another two beds now!

Happysexagenarian Sat 28-Apr-18 16:54:29

As I'm sure I've mentioned before here cooking/baking does not come naturally to me, so when I rashly offered to make a Fairy Castle birthday cake for DGD a few years ago I was particularly pleased (and surprised) with the result. I confess I cheated and bought ready made sponges and swiss rolls and 'remodelled' them, but the fun part for me was the icing and decorating. DGD was delighted with it.

I have made countless sewing / craft / DIY projects over the years that I've been pleased with, but last year I made some some Hobby Horses for my grandchildren which turned out well. They love them. I still have three spare ones for sale on Folksy if anyone is interested. folksy.com/shops/Overner
I probably won't be making any more though as the turning and stuffing is too painful for my hands now.

Currently I'm experimenting with book making and binding with varying degrees of success. So many things to try and not enough time!

Happysexagenarian Sat 28-Apr-18 16:32:12

gillyknits that's fabulous. I can crochet but it's not one of my favoured crafts! That must have taken you hours and lots of patience. Destined to become a family heirloom I'm sure. smile

tanith Sat 28-Apr-18 15:22:10

gillyknits I’d love to make that for a granddaughter it’s fabulous. Did you have a pattern?