Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Dressmaking

(27 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sat 09-Jun-18 07:21:39

I saw some material whilst on holiday and decided to buy enough material to make a dress and jacket. It is still in the bag, I can't find any of my old patterns, it has been 20 years since I made the last one, cannot find a pattern or a dress I can copy one from. Has anyone any suggestions for a dimple sheath dress, midi length, and waterfall jacket. Thanks in anticipation. If not it could end up covering the garden chairs, it is a very bright design.

HildaW Mon 11-Jun-18 15:40:44

Talking of dressmaking.....have just learnt something new.....you never stop learning.......do not match your thread too precisely colour wise when sewing a loose wool tweed......makes it very difficult to unpick!!!

Bathsheba Mon 11-Jun-18 12:20:47

And just for the record, there is no such thing as a stupid question ?

Bathsheba Mon 11-Jun-18 12:20:09

Lisalou that was a typo - the OP meant “a simple sheath” ??

Lisalou Mon 11-Jun-18 09:50:53

Quick question for the OP, I am a fairly newbie dressmaker, so do not know all the terms - what does "dimple" mean in the context of a sheath dress?
(Sorry if it is a stupid question)

Lisalou Mon 11-Jun-18 09:38:14

Burda online is great too!

Bathsheba Sun 10-Jun-18 16:11:06

GN is a great aid to procrastination
It is Jalima. The idea is that I go on GN as a gap filler in between doing all the important things. The reality is that the important things become the gap fillers in between coming on GN hmm

HildaW Sun 10-Jun-18 14:28:42

The website Minerva is excellent for patterns....and lots of other things!

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Jun-18 12:23:00

sorry, Bathsheba

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Jun-18 12:22:39

Bathsheb grin
Ditto - GN is a great aid to procrastination

Bathsheba Sun 10-Jun-18 11:29:40

I've got more threads than I'll probably ever use in my lifetime. Ditto fabric. Ditto patterns. And so many projects going round in my head all the time that I often find it hard to focus on just one.
So then I sit down with a cuppa. And GN grin

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Jun-18 11:02:49

Yes, I have a sewing box filled with Gutermann threads now but no sewing projects in mind grin

Moongirl Sat 09-Jun-18 22:13:53

Some John Lewis haberdashery departments still stock the main pattern books, if that’s any help.

Bathsheba Sat 09-Jun-18 21:47:27

Actually, I tell a lie! I was getting the 65p Coats threads from another well known household store to be found almost next door to the well known craft store beginning with.... oh for God's sake, this is getting silly! I got them in Dunelms, not Hobbycraft!
I think in Hobbycraft they're selling Gutermann threads half price, not Coats.

Bathsheba Sat 09-Jun-18 21:44:17

I've been stocking up on threads from that well known craft store Jalima - at 65p each (Coats), great value!

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Jun-18 20:49:44

A very large chain-style craft store has a sale on at the moment of some sewing patterns, good quality sewing threads and other necessities.
It begins with H

PamelaJ1 Sat 09-Jun-18 20:30:32

We can still buy patterns in Norfolk both in Norwich and Kings Lynn. Is this strange these days?

Nannykay Sat 09-Jun-18 16:42:27

I’ve bought a number of patterns off amazon, like previously mentioned, not as much fun as looking through the books at a haberdashery though

Ilovecheese Sat 09-Jun-18 10:07:47

Simplicitynewlook is my go to site for patterns

Bathsheba Sat 09-Jun-18 10:04:40

I bought Sew Style magazine this week from Tesco - the ‘quick and easy’ edition, and it came with 3 patterns, one of which is a simple sheath dress.

Bathsheba Sat 09-Jun-18 10:00:50

Also have a look at Etsy - they don't just sell arty crafty handmade stuff, but patterns as well.

here are some sheath dress patterns
and some waterfall jackets

Just watch out for the delivery charges because many of the 'shops' are in the US. You can select 'United Kingdom' as the shop location in the left hand side bar, which will bring costs down (but also reduce the range sad)

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Jun-18 09:51:14

Prima magazine still has a decent pattern free inside every month. It's the only reason I still subscribe, even though I haven't made any clothes for around 25 years. blush

M0nica Sat 09-Jun-18 09:38:44

Try sewdirect.com or go on ebay. They always have lots of dress patterns of all vintages on sale and are so random that you can find almost anything.

I googled 'Buy dress patterns' and the ensuing reults pages also included references to shops, local to me, that sold them. I know the shop well. It still has the big books of Butterick, Simplicity and Vogue paper patterns to leaf through.

crystaltipps Sat 09-Jun-18 08:08:27

This a good site for sewing patterns.
jaycotts.co.uk/collections/patterns_dresses

Auntieflo Sat 09-Jun-18 07:42:32

Luckylegs, why not try a trawl through some charity shops. I know that our local ones sometimes have a selection, though not neccessarily in the right size. wink

MrsJamJam Sat 09-Jun-18 07:32:08

There are lots of online sites where you can buy patterns now, though not as much fun as the old days of looking through those big books in the local haberdashery department.