Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Love quilting but struggle with free motion on domestic machine?.....

(17 Posts)
mamamags Fri 24-Aug-18 16:41:30

Not being a very artistic person I have really been struggling with this free motion quilting that you need to finalize your hard, but, rewarding work.
I have watched dozens of you tube videos and they make it look so easy, and say that all you need is practise, practise and practise
Well, I've done that, and still not completely happy with the outcome, decided to invest in a special foot,(Westalee) that has been designed to work with unique rulers that come with sticky pads..
They seem to do the trick, but, I suffer from RA and have noticed that my hands become very painful after a short time in using them.
Not one to give up, I have just found another product available in the UK, (Parrs Rulers), and their rulers have a 1/2 inch channel cut out to fit the foot that I already have, and a non slip mat that lies on the bed of your machine.
Have any of you quilters used this.?....

Would love to get your opinions on this product before I lash out even more money. lol………….

Stansgran Fri 24-Aug-18 17:29:36

I'm impressed you've bought so many things. I quilt a lot do all the free motion quilting I've done has been unpicked. I cannot get the hang of it. The person who runs our local classes says "you have get the rythmn it's like good sex." so perhaps I've never got the hang of that eitherconfused

Stansgran Fri 24-Aug-18 17:30:23

Do= although

muffinthemoo Fri 24-Aug-18 17:36:05

....your classes sound a damn sight more exciting than mime

mamamags Fri 24-Aug-18 17:41:10

Oh dear!!! not only am I non artistic but it appears I have no sense of rhythm either. grin

Doodle Fri 24-Aug-18 20:06:24

What about quilting with a walking foot. There are lots of videos on YouTube. I too have problems with my hands and find gripping the rulers troubling.

Hm999 Fri 24-Aug-18 20:26:26

Am just starting out with FMQ, and have found it really tough. My best attempt has been drawing with a washable ink pen, 'trying' to follow the lines, and washing the fabric before showing it to anyone!
Advice from course is use quilting needle, a darning foot, not too fast, not too slow.

millymouge Sat 25-Aug-18 06:26:19

I think it was the Parrs Rulers that I saw being demonstrated at the quilting exhibition that I go to. They looked so easy to use but I wasn't convinced enough to buy them as they can come up quite expensive. Have tried with a walking foot and the results were "passable" so will just keep trying.

mamamags Sat 25-Aug-18 10:27:36

Yes they do seem to be very pricey for what they do. If the rulers contained multi designs on one single ruler then I wouldn't hesitate.

rubysong Sat 25-Aug-18 12:16:28

Walking foot is fine for straight lines but a foot with a circle and a spring lets the stitching flow better. I can't remember the name of it. (Not that I can do it very well.)

mamamags Fri 14-Sep-18 12:32:56

Well quilters, I decided to go on Ebay and found some pre-used Parrs rulers at a very reasonable price. So I bought them. (Can't take your money with you when you go , So, enjoy, that's my motto)wink
Lets just say, I am so glad that I didn't pay full price for them.
They are so strange to get used to, but, I won't give up.

There must be a way of holding the layers and the ruler. Its possible that I could be gripping everything too tightlyconfused

I shall still continue to use free motion stippling on my present quilt the old fashioned way, otherwise , if I tried to do it with these rulers, I would be too old, by the time I finished, to have the strength to place the quilt on my bedsmile

millymouge Tue 18-Sep-18 16:46:42

Thanks for that information mamamags DH has tried to persuade me to buy them but have never heard from anyone that has actually bought and tried them. Think I will hang on for now.

Happysexagenarian Wed 26-Sep-18 18:35:22

I am not really a quilter but I do a lot of machine sewing. I have both a quilting foot and a walking foot for my (Janome) machine. I love the walking foot and very rarely take it off, it was expensive but worth every penny. I have arthritis in my hands which causes my finger joints to lock and spasm painfully when I grip things for any length of time, so gripping fabric to move it around on the machine can be a problem. I bought quilting gloves with rubber tipped fingers which help a lot. So far I have only used free motion machining on smallish collaged panels - it does take some getting used to!

Stansgran Wed 26-Sep-18 18:47:39

I tend to quilt everything in the end with a wavy line pattern and a walking foot. I enjoy the piecing more than the machine quilting.

mamamags Thu 27-Sep-18 12:06:13

I tend to rely on the quilt and go method these days if my RA is playing me up.
Then I quilt patterns on alternate blocks with my embroidery machine and add to my pieced blocks.

It is so much easier to handle single blocks and rows than the whole quilt.
It does get a lot harder when you reach near completion, but with the help of my ironing board and a pair of steps to take the weight I manage to get throughgrin

rockgran Thu 27-Sep-18 12:25:06

I find that gloves with gripper dots on the palms and fingers make a difference. I just use cheap gardening gloves (new, obviously}. I also do just one block at a time - "quilt as you go" method.

mamamags Thu 27-Sep-18 12:36:04

Forgot to mention, I am talking about king size quilts here.

Also that the QAYG method can be found on you tube.
I prefer the ones that show how to use the sashing for joining the blocks. I picked this method up by watching
" The Welsh Quilter Blog" Not sure if its still online now, but there are others similar if you do a search