Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Phew, finally finished my stable!

(30 Posts)
Witzend Sat 01-Dec-18 14:26:18

I found some help on YouTube, but it was still a bit of a ##*# to make, first effort discarded since my engineering skills weren't up to working out how to support the roof. Nearly gave up altogether. Roof is still propped up with a sturdy twig, it since tends to droop a bit.

In case anyone's interested, cardboard carton is covered with torn up bits of brown paper, stuck on with Ryman's glue stick, then painted with very watered down brown acrylic paint from the art shop.
Snow is cotton wool balls, again stuck on with glue stick.
A bit of sphagnum moss for rustic effect.
Just got the battery lights for £3.50 in B&Q.
Some mulled wine would now go down very nicely!

Have just noticed that whisky decanter next to it on the sideboard is nearly empty. Had better refill, in case any of the wise men or shepherds fancy a snifter to keep the cold out...

Marthjolly1 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:47:22

Well done Witzend quite an achievement and must be very satisfying for you now it's finished. Definately deserve a dram from the decanter, never mind the shepherds

Billybob4491 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:31:43

Its all part of the fun Storynanny, my Nativity scene is a bit battered these days, every year I am going to replace it but never get around to it

storynanny Fri 07-Dec-18 17:28:16

Just got my vintage set out, no stable this year, it has finally fallen into disrepair after about 30 years! My boys used to move them around and sometimes the lamb was in the crib, the donkey flying from the roof, , the angel riding the donkey etc. What memories it brings back.
Got an 11 month old and a 3 year old granddaughters this year so who knows where they will end up!

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Dec-18 13:16:28

as you can see from Witzend's photo they are kind of decanter sized wink

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Dec-18 13:15:27

Be warned Day6 - they're not that tiny! Apart from Baby Cheeses (as someone on another thread said, quoting her DGS).

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Dec-18 13:13:30

Marmight!! why am I struggling on, should have trawled the charity shops grin
I made Jesus and manger etc last year as part of a group project, the worst thing was stitching his face.

Marmight Sun 02-Dec-18 13:10:51

???

Witzend Sun 02-Dec-18 08:00:52

Ha, Marmight , my Gdd (3) loved baby Jesus so much on a recent visit, I have made an extra with manger to give her. I think Gds (2) will like the donkey best, so I'm fully expecting his legs - stiffened with plastic drinking straws! - to suffer multiple fractures within a few hours! Gds is still very much at the chucking/bashing everything stage.

Marmight Sun 02-Dec-18 06:28:02

Brilliant Witzend. I love it! I recently bought a very similar knitted nativity set in a charity shop. Tbe GCs love it especially baby Jesus who looks like a small finger with a face ?. I keep finding him in strange places and have to pop him back into his manger. I wish I could produce something like this but far too fiddly for me. Admiration for all you talented knitters!

Day6 Sun 02-Dec-18 02:47:36

It's lovely Witzend! So cute! Well done you!

You have inspired me to order some of the knitting pamphlets. Thank you. I haven't picked up my knitting needles in years. Last thing I made was an aran cardigan for my then three year old. She is now 35! grin

I shall try and knit a few of the cute little figures in the new year and perhaps work my way up to the Nativity scene before next December. grin

gillybob Sat 01-Dec-18 23:29:37

Oh Jalima are you knitting a nativity too? So many talented, crafty people on GN. I’m so jealous.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Dec-18 23:25:11

and patient
Yes, definitely! I'm fast losing patience with mine!

gillybob Sat 01-Dec-18 23:18:11

That is so lovely witzend you must be so talented (and patient).

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Dec-18 22:58:50

I am ploughing through the second king Witzend - one more king and a few beards and crowns etc! The kings may arrive on 12th night and not before then.
There's all the sewing up to do as well.

GrandmaKT Sat 01-Dec-18 20:18:32

Lovely display! If you have GC they will love it!

aggie Sat 01-Dec-18 20:14:42

Just beautiful , you are very talented xxx

Witzend Sat 01-Dec-18 20:00:11

Have you got much more to do, Jalima?

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Dec-18 17:21:06

That's lovely Witzend, well done.

I haven't finished knitting yet …..

Billybob4491 Sat 01-Dec-18 16:45:05

That looks great Witzend well done, I did notice the whisky decanter bottle but didn't like to say anything!! Expect you will be reluctant to store it away once Christmas festivities are over.

Bathsheba Sat 01-Dec-18 16:00:54

Well done Witzend, a true labour of love which has turned out beautifully!

Buffybee Sat 01-Dec-18 15:56:43

So cute! The tiny lambs and little baby Jesus are gorgeous!

Witzend Sat 01-Dec-18 15:50:45

Thank you all for kind comments.
ILovecheese, yes, I did knit them - extremely simple patterns from Jean Greenhowe - I can't do complicated patterns. The stuffing and sewing up were a bit more of a fiddle but her meticulously detailed instructions made it quite straightforward.

nanaK54 Sat 01-Dec-18 15:23:03

Beautiful

lemongrove Sat 01-Dec-18 15:15:43

Witzend that is really amazing, well done! You will be able to bring it out every Christmas for years to come, your DGC will be delighted.smile

Auntieflo Sat 01-Dec-18 15:13:29

Witzend. That is lovely. You are clever, well done.