Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Cable needles

(20 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 26-Feb-19 23:04:35

This is my favourite cable needle/hook. Theoretically it should stay hooked into my work, but still manages to escape.

Niobe Tue 26-Feb-19 20:37:17

There are two types of cable needles, the little straight ones and the ones with a little V in the middle . The V ones stay better when pushed through your knitting or your jumper.

Chewbacca Tue 26-Feb-19 20:17:40

Hold it between my teeth. Otherwise I'm like Jalima scrabbling around looking for it down the side of the chair, under the knitting pattern or on the floor.

mcem Tue 26-Feb-19 19:55:05

DS really liked his Aran sweater.
Looks great with his kilt for rugby etc!

Sarahmob Tue 26-Feb-19 19:52:12

My grandson (15 months) has lots of cable patterned jumpers. I have small food container with all my little bits in - it keeps everything to hand.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 26-Feb-19 18:53:49

I don't think men wear cardigans of any sort as much as they used to, do they? Babies don't seem to wear knitted anything very much either sad . DH wears Aran jumpers which I have knitted for him, but none of the younger members of the family do, now I think about it.

B9exchange Tue 26-Feb-19 18:44:14

WIWYA I am so glad I am not the only one! Is it me, or is cable work not as popular as it used to be, you don't see babies wearing cable cardigans as often now, and I can't imagine DH would wear a cable cardigan now if I were to make him one.

mcem Tue 26-Feb-19 18:40:55

Move it down from the area you're working and stick it through the rib. Always works for me.
Nice pattern. If our new baby is a boy I' d enjoy knitting that. Only problem is that I could see Daddy (DS) asking for a matching one!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 26-Feb-19 18:37:54

I do the same as B9exchange or else stick it into my jumper, and if I do that it doesn't usually fall out.

Like you, *Auntieflo8, I had a large collection of needles, and then inherited more from my DM, and a while ago even more from DMIL. Can I apply for National Collection status?

Auntieflo Tue 26-Feb-19 17:57:22

Oh, thanks for all your ideas. I’ll have a go at using a very small tray, but you can bet that whatever I use, it will hide from me !
I am enjoying doing this pattern, but daren’t buy more needles, as I have quite a collection already.

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Feb-19 17:33:40

They'd get caught up with my specs!

Oldandverygrey Tue 26-Feb-19 17:29:14

Behind your ear I have enough hair to hold it into place.

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Feb-19 17:13:13

Knitpro needles are lovely to work with.

B9exchange Tue 26-Feb-19 12:27:46

Oh dear, have never used a cable needle, used to either hold the stitches to be moved in my left hand if moved in front of the work, or slip them onto the right hand needle and knit across in front of them if twisting behind, found it much quicker than picking up a cable needle each time, am I the only lazy so and so doing this? smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 26-Feb-19 12:17:20

Not done cable for a while, I used to stick it behind my lug holes (ears) like a pencil.

Elegran Tue 26-Feb-19 12:15:43

PS If you used one of the safety-pin-style cable pins, it could be pinned into your work when not in use.

Elegran Tue 26-Feb-19 12:14:10

Just realised you asked about keeping track of the needle while NOT using it. I was giving ideas for stopping it sliding out while it is holding the cable stitches (and cable stitches then dropping down through the work).

A saucer or a ready-meal tray would hold all your small tools etc.

Elegran Tue 26-Feb-19 12:11:02

Twist an elastic band around each end of the cable needle.

Buy some of these www.amazon.co.uk/KnitPro-Aluminium-Stitch-Holders-Set/dp/B007AYW97Q/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=knitting+cable+safety+pins&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1551183003&sr=8-4

Invest in a set of Knitpro interchangeable needles - they come with a pair of ends to put on the needle tips to stop stitches slipping off. They are very nice needles to use, too.

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Feb-19 12:09:21

I usually sit on the sofa and put it on the seat next to me then scrabble around between the cushions, or else put it on a table next to me then pick it up from the floor because it rolls off.

Actually, a very small oblong tray on a table next to you would work, I may try that.

Lovely pattern, Auntieflo

Auntieflo Tue 26-Feb-19 11:56:17

Morning all. I am knitting a small cardigan for GGS, and it has a cable and twisted stitch design .
I have tackled cable before, but, is there a way to keep hold of the cable needle, when not using it, so that I don’t lose it?
I tried
A. sticking it through the work, it falls out
B. sticking it into my sweater, it falls out
C. putting it on the arm of the settee, it falls down between the cushions
D. holding it in my teeth, not a good look.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

By the way, for others who asked about knitting with two strands of yarn, I am doing this with this little jacket, and it works fine by not winding them together.