Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Special birthday cards

(19 Posts)
Nannyxthree Sun 28-Apr-19 17:46:33

I've got several 'big' birthdays for friends and relatives coming up and want to make some of the cards. Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions on design please? Cards are for male and female and I was thinking of cross stitch, but other ideas welcome.

J52 Sun 28-Apr-19 18:46:32

Go and have a look on Pinterest, there’s loads of ideas for cards. You could mix and match some designs to make your unique.

BrandyButter Sun 28-Apr-19 18:56:12

I have made cross-stitch cards and been asked not to put Happy Birthday or age on the front (I just write inside) so the card can then be framed as a picture and last for years. Mind you I have done three anniversary ones with the couple's names on and they all soon after divorced so I won't do any more I feel I jinx them grin

Nannyxthree Sun 28-Apr-19 19:46:34

I will look at Pinterest thanks for the suggestion.

Brandybutter you've reminded me I have a 40th and 60th anniversary to think about too! Hopefully they won't divorce but I'll leave the names out anyway!

BradfordLass72 Mon 29-Apr-19 03:46:19

www.pinterest.nz/bigjul/homemade-card-ideas/?lp=true

www.auntannie.com/GreetingCards/Ideas/

Two sites for ideas - the second shows you how to make unusual cards.

Humbertbear Mon 29-Apr-19 08:15:45

We asked for donations to a local charity when we celebrated our 50th anniversary but we treasure the celebratory sampler that was stitched for us by one of my oldest friends. It has pride of place on the wall in the hall (out of the sun)

Marrymarry Mon 10-Jun-19 05:57:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kittylester Mon 10-Jun-19 07:41:34

Reported

Urmstongran Mon 10-Jun-19 08:22:29

I’m confused kitty ?

Elegran Mon 10-Jun-19 08:38:34

Poster is spamming is about her Etsy shop elsewhere on the forum.

kittylester Mon 10-Jun-19 09:03:21

What Elegran said!

shysal Mon 10-Jun-19 09:29:45

If you Google 'Card making ideas' you will find lots of pictures including those on Pinterest. I have started cardmaking in the last year and am OK at the practical side but have little imagination. I have also found ideas on the Create and Craft TV channel (23 on Freeview).
Good Luck, I am sure your efforts will be appreciated.

shysal Mon 10-Jun-19 09:43:30

One technique that I have tried recently is Isis Folding. It is very easy but looks impressive, only needs cheap materials like origami papers or even paper from old envelopes with a pattern on the inside.
Google will show you templates for many designs and there are video tutorials on Youtube.

shysal Mon 10-Jun-19 09:45:39

Sorry about the typo - it is called Iris folding!

Nandalot Mon 10-Jun-19 10:00:22

Wow! They are very effective Shysal. Although I make card I wouldn’t have the patience for those. Well done!

Antonia Mon 10-Jun-19 10:51:33

I used to make lots of my own cards using the Sizzix Big Shot machine and cutting dies. It's only really worth it if you intend making a lot of cards, but it is strangely addictive, and you get such satisfaction with the finished cards.

jackfowler Mon 22-Jul-19 12:53:37

I love to make handmade birthday cards. It shows the love and affection towards that person. These cards were made for family, friends, colleagues, besties.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 13:35:16

I tried folding, shysal, at a craft meeting, however mine looked too wonky to send to anyone.
Fumble fisted, that's me.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 13:35:43

ps yours are lovely!