Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Celebrity painting challenge

(22 Posts)
Nannyxthree Sun 28-Apr-19 17:52:58

Did anyone else watch the series? I couldn't really understand why Laurence LLewellyn- Bowen was on it as he is in a different league to the others, but enjoyed it anyway.

Luckygirl Sun 28-Apr-19 17:59:20

I rally enjoyed it - apart from the usual contrived challenges and time constraints. But it was fun to watch how they developed.

Yes - LL-B was a strange choice as he had had training - although he made a basic perspective error in his final pic. I was glad he did not win - and thought Josie was a worthy winner.

One of the women (LeBon?) seemed utterly talentless to me; but I liked the cricketer's work.

ninathenana Sun 28-Apr-19 18:02:09

Yes, we watched it. Laurence L B is talented, I agree but I didn't always like his paintings. I didn't think much of the rest of them either.
I did however think his self portrait was brilliant.
I prefer watching the Joe Public series

Kittye Sun 28-Apr-19 18:47:42

I really enjoyed it. Was it the first series?

aggie Sun 28-Apr-19 18:50:52

I liked the format , not sure if LLB should have been on it

Jane10 Sun 28-Apr-19 18:53:12

LLB's self portrait was superb. It alone would have made him a worthy winner. Can't understand how Josie won. Nice lady. I just didn't like her paintings.

BlueBelle Sun 28-Apr-19 18:57:19

I think Llewelyn Bowen’s self portrait was excellent not so sure about most of the other celebs work I thought old Phil Tufnell had the most fun he just didn’t care a hoot I thought the young chap can’t remember his name wasn’t really my taste in painting I like the paintings of Josies that they showed at the beginning but wasn’t very intrigued with what she did within the show

BBbevan Sun 28-Apr-19 19:07:02

Really enjoyed the series .JosieD'Arby was an intuitive painter and learned from the tutors. A worthy winner. LL-B didn't listen, continued to use a restrictive palette. favoured in art schools around the 60s and 70s and was a little bit up his own a--e. But amusing to watch. Look forward to the next one

Treebee Sun 28-Apr-19 19:09:17

I can’t draw or paint for toffee but found this series, and others like it fascinating. Good to witness how they learn and progress.
I loved a couple of the hen paintings, and thought Laurence’s final painting was amazingly good. I thought he would win tbh.

trisher Sun 28-Apr-19 19:13:35

I wondered if LLB was on it because they couldn't find enough people. Thought Tuffers was great and didn't take it too seriously. I do prefer the public one.

Nannyxthree Sun 28-Apr-19 19:40:55

When they do the general public series the competitors have a very mixed range of abilities too.
I thought LLB's self portrait was good too, but when he did the whole of the Nat. Hist Museum that was something else! However, Josie's giraffes were inspired.

Sparklefizz Sun 28-Apr-19 19:51:36

I can't understand how Josie won. Call me a cynic but I wondered earlier on if there was something of a "fix" when Amber's painting was voted to go up on the wall. She was the only one who had not had a painting hung up so I was waiting for it, even though her pic was not very good. Sure enough, hers was picked, so .....

....it made me wonder about Josie winning. Her giraffes were a good idea but badly executed - the legs were completely wrong. The best actual artist all round was LLB by a mile but I think it had been decided that he wouldn't win. It was obvious he was not best pleased.

George's butterflies looked like a shower curtain and I thought he could have picked a much better subject.

I never think the mentors are very clear in what they are advising people to do. I have been painting for 19 years and if Pascal came up to me and suggested some of the things he has said, I wouldn't have a clue what he was on about. Maybe they explain more off camera, who knows.

But I shall definitely watch the next series if there is one.

Sparklefizz Sun 28-Apr-19 19:54:09

LLB's self portrait was the only one that was recognisably him..... as good as a photo. You wouldn't have known who the others were.

Nannyxthree Mon 29-Apr-19 12:57:27

The judging public recognised Jane Seymour's self portrait too ( or one lady did at least).
It seemed to me that the official judges were looking for the most creativity rather than the best artist. It was the same in the 'Sewing Bee'.
LLB was the only one who could draw / paint a human form.

Labaik Mon 29-Apr-19 13:27:35

I thought George was the best [loved his War Horse painting] but his final work let him down, My favourite of the lot though was probably Ambers chicken painting,

Sparklefizz Mon 29-Apr-19 13:28:52

Nannyxthree I think you're right about looking for creativity rather than the best artist. I remember a programme years ago called Watercolour Challenge which I used to watch, and one time a young woman won it and she had done a painting of a landscape but she had added alien spacecraft in the sky so it looked entirely weird.

The judges seemed to think it showed good imagination and voted it the best. Suspect something similar going on with Josie's winning giraffe.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Apr-19 13:31:37

If that’s the case Soarklefizz Phil Tufnell should have won hands down he was on another planet and seemed totally oblivious to any rules or regulations and good for him but I think he thoroughly enjoyed himself

Ilovecheese Mon 29-Apr-19 14:08:14

I loved Amber's chicken painting too. She did have talent but lacked confidence.

LLB said himself that he tended to 'draw things then colour them in' he wanted to stretch himself to do more than that.

I wanted George to win because I liked him, but am quite content with Josie because I loved her chicken too.

Sparklefizz Mon 29-Apr-19 17:21:20

Yes, George's War Horse painting was brilliant. I was very surprised that he chose the butterflies and not something more impressive for the final.

Josie took on board all the advice she was given so perhaps that impressed the judges. Never heard of her before but she is very likeable..... in fact, they all were, although Phil Tuffnell is too OTT all the time.

Labaik Mon 29-Apr-19 18:57:46

I think George's butterfly painting had something to do with him losing his sister the other year. I seem to remember seeing that in the news but didn't know who he was. The giraffe picture looked great to start off [the head was brilliant] but the overall painting didn't work for me.

varian Mon 29-Apr-19 19:04:00

LLB is a competent painter. He can produce quite an accurate image of hie subject, probably better than any of the others, but he lacks originality, vitality, spark. I think that is why he didn't win.

Jane10 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:32:29

His self portrait had such an interesting expression. It seemed much more than just an accurate depiction of him.