Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Just bought a house!

(17 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Mon 21-Oct-19 17:17:42

It's for me, and now I've finally got back to it. It is papered and painted and today I have fitted the skirting boards, made out of the thin wooden strips you get in coffee shops to stir your coffee with.

I've roped DH in to help me with the windows tomorrow. The dolls are clamouring to move in before Christmas!

crazyH Wed 29-May-19 19:25:20

You have a bargain, Grandante. I once saw a beautiful doll's house, much like yours, in the window of a charity shop. They wanted £100. I was tempted to buy it for my little granddaughter, but it meant I would have to balance it and buy something for my grandsons (from my younger son). My budget doesn't stretch to expensive random gifts ......
Btw is the house for yourself or your GD.....have fun either way.

crystaltipps Wed 29-May-19 19:13:14

We had a Lundby house in the 70s you can buy the furniture on eBay reasonably cheaply, plus you can get the lighting etc. We had the pink bathroom suite ! Only thing with lundby is they are 1:16 scale whereas other dolls houses are 1:12 so getting the scale right isn’t always easy. We have a 1:12 modernist house which my OH built but I may still get a Lundby so the GC can play with it!

Farmor15 Wed 29-May-19 17:16:27

I thought I recognised the shape of the house grandtante. It's a Lundby, Swedish brand (lundby.com), though you may know that already.

My Swedish dil found one for sale near where they live - it came complete with everything. It wasn't as good a bargain as yours though, costing about €100, but still good value as it included lighting and lots of funiture. She and I had good fun putting everything into it and then took photos, which might give you some ideas.

Most of the fun with a doll's house is making your own furniture and accessories, but knowing the brand, you could buy stuff if you wanted, such as lighting kit.

rosecarmel Wed 29-May-19 16:47:30

Oh! I had so much fun redoing a hand me down house! I found some awesomely colorful scrapbook paper at the craft store that I used to paper the walls, and over the years when the grans were little collected the furniture from charity shops, ebay and where ever they turned up- The grans helped with some of the painting, but spent hours upon hours p!aying, even the boys who filled it with dinosaurs and little cars and trucks- Fantastic imaginative play for ANY age!

annep1 Wed 29-May-19 14:43:38

What a fun thing to do. Enjoy ?

leyla Wed 29-May-19 13:35:04

At least they're decent now lol

grandtanteJE65 Wed 29-May-19 13:30:26

I'll post when it's finished.

It will take a while, I have spent three days removing the orange and yellow wall to wall carpeting and now the search for suitable wallpaper begins.

Slowcookervegan Mon 27-May-19 15:47:46

Hope you have lots of fun playing with it.

Buffybee Mon 27-May-19 15:38:09

So cute! Let us see when you have put your 1950's furniture in your "new" house.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-May-19 15:33:34

Now at least they are all decent again! Twins in school uniform, the others in casual clothes.

I'm not satisfied with the boys' trousers, such a fiddly job in that size, and I have cataracts forming, so my sewing isn't as neat as I would like.

ayse Fri 24-May-19 17:32:12

How lovely. I bought some minutely patterned paper from a nationwide cheap craft and bookshop. If you needed any, this would be ideal for new wallpaper. Enjoy

EllanVannin Fri 24-May-19 17:21:09

I have lots of beautiful dolls house furniture but no house !

The furniture was originally intended for GGC's dolls house but it would be ruined as it's antique furniture and my D had voiced her objections on it being too nice for children to play with as they wouldn't appreciate it so she said she was going to buy herself a Victorian dolls house online.
I'd bought boxes of it from the BHF internet shop, on bids and it's beautifully made.

I hope you get pleasure from " setting up home ".

Nonnie Fri 24-May-19 16:34:51

Enjoy

Ilovecheese Fri 24-May-19 16:34:15

Have fun!

Auntieflo Fri 24-May-19 16:31:59

Ooh, lucky you. Have fun.
My dad made me one when I was small, and wish I had it still.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 24-May-19 16:07:21

A dolls' house. It cost £6 in the charity shop run by the local bin men.

It has obviously been much loved and played with and is in need of a few repairs.

The dolls (daddy and four children) were with it, plus a three piece suite and some dolls' china . Sorry, about the family being in a state of nature, but they are just out the bath and their clothes, apart from dad's denims, which are in the wash, haven't stood the test of time.

I have nearly all my 1950s dolls' house furniture, it's going to be such fun!