Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Drawing upside down

(8 Posts)
Nellie098 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:45:30

I went to a 2.5 hr class yesterday entitled "I would like to draw but can't." As I was useless at art at school couldn't image what we would learn in that time. All the work was in black and white and only using a pencil and paper. We started off with a basic side face outline and had to draw it in reverse. Then were given a small squared pattern to follow upside down. Next came a picture of a man in a chair in quite a lot of detail, again had to draw upside down and finally one of the pictures the teacher brought in. I copied a horse upside down and was really pleased with the final result. Apparently the psychology is to do with how our brain works and that instead of seeing the overall picture we are working on the lines and patterns. I haven't yet had time to work on anything else but it was so interesting. The tutor was great and so enthusiastic which is what you want. Anybody else tried something they couldn't do at school?

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 12:43:07

I couldn’t sew for toffee at senior school.
So when I married I paid for evening classes and bought all the gear - good scissors, pins, tape measure etc.

I still can’t sew!
?

eazybee Sun 14-Jul-19 12:51:45

I did something similar at a drawing class I go to, and I drew a rather fine elephant upside down; when I turned it the right way, it had five legs! But it does generally help you to draw better, because you see the relation and perspective between shapes.

ninathenana Sun 14-Jul-19 13:06:40

I can draw to a certain degree. I find this thread fascinating and will be giving it a go.

BBbevan Sun 14-Jul-19 14:04:57

We were taught at art school to turn our work upside down. Often mistakes of perspective ,shape or proportion are more obvious when you do this.
Good luck with the art classes. Nellie
I disliked pottery at school. I had another go at art school but still disliked it. Something to do with the feel of wet clay I think

shysal Sun 14-Jul-19 14:20:28

Our teenaged foster child with learning difficulties used to easily complete 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles upside down and with no reference picture. She was brilliant! Maybe this explains it.

Is anyone watching the Portrait Artist of the Year on TV? on yesterday's programme one person was studying their picture upside down, which I thought strange.

shysal Sun 14-Jul-19 14:25:01

Sorry, didn't answer the OP's question.
I hated needlework at school and only completed a lop-sided Dirndl skirt. I later taught myself to sew and made all of my own and my daughters' clothes for many years.

BradfordLass72 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:20:05

I was hopeless at maths. My Dad spent hours trying to teach me and used every method possible, plus a special game devised by our local bobby (policeman) which had much success - but not with me.

At 14 I could not (and still cannot) do long division or multiplication and even simple addition often foxes me.
Of course I was labelled stupid.

I contented myself with the idea that I was pretty good at all the other subjects (though a bit lumbersome at PE!)

Then, when I was 63, I read about dyscalculia and realised what had been wrong all along.

This was the last portrait I did before my eyes went wonky and stopped me doing any artwork at all.

The framing was the sitter's choice.