Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

making bunting

(5 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 21-Jul-19 17:24:20

Anyone made bunting before and got any helpful tips on getting it right first time. I have the flags all cut out and the ribbon to pin them to but before i sew any thing else i should be doing.Also need to make a cushion from a jumper any tips??? Thanks

Luckygirl Sun 21-Jul-19 17:44:07

I have made miles and miles of bunting over the years as my family organise outdoor folk festivals. Several things to remember......bunting needs to work from both sides as it blows about, so you really need material whose pattern appears on both sides..........you also need material that does not fray unless you want to spend hours hemming it...........also the tape needs to be non-fray.........make sure the flags are not too far apart or it seems sparse; one and a half widths between each flag is good..........flag material needs to have some weight to it, or it will simply wrap itself around the tape/ribbon as it blows in the wind............the tape itself needs to be quite strong.......make sure it dries out before storing.........store with one flag lying upon the other or you will spend hours ironing it next time it is used. Good luck!

ninathenana Sun 21-Jul-19 17:55:15

I don't think anyone could add to Luckgirl's post, all the help you need right there.

silverlining48 Sun 21-Jul-19 18:05:47

I bought fat squares and the tape ...ready to make bunting, checked online how to and was advised to be careful of tape stretching. It all started to get a bit complicated but then saw some fir sale locally at a very fair price so chickened out and bought them instead. Lazy I know but was getting a bit stressed about it. Am left with the material and tape and wonder what I might do with it, but would need to be even simpler than bunting.

shysal Sun 21-Jul-19 18:11:10

As regards sweater cushions, here is a video (the chat is tedious!), which includes the use of interfacing which seems a good idea. Good luck with both projects.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_NmBQB2FcE