Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Reborn dolls

(25 Posts)
Shazel1 Sun 29-Sep-19 21:12:35

Thankyou ladies who have ask about reborns x yes there work of art they take wks to reborn every single hair is put in one at time with special needle .and they are given depth to there skin with many coats of paint around 30 .also have veins mottling and shading and cappilerys. And can add milk spots or tiny scratches,I've been artist for many yrs and seen joy they bring to ppl from someone who collects to someone who have lost babies or cannot have babies x and.old people in homes suffering with memory loss etc.but strange thing they never forget how to love and cuddle baby .. ?

lemongrove Sat 28-Sep-19 19:07:22

Welcome Shazell and yes, don’t be put off by any comments, and keep posting regarding the reborn dolls.
I saw a programme about them and the women who wanted them and it was very moving ( although of course not all women who collect them have sad stories.)

LondonGranny Sat 28-Sep-19 19:04:55

Fair play to you Shazell for returning. I probably wouldn't have. I'm afraid the reputation for British politeness is a myth. It probably existed once but no more. sad

SirChenjin Sat 28-Sep-19 18:59:13

Ignore them!

A few of us have asked you about your hobby in more detail - it would be great to hear more about it smile

Shazel1 Sat 28-Sep-19 18:57:52

What a lot of nasty ppl on hear.

Willow500 Fri 27-Sep-19 21:35:59

I've seen a video of someone making a mould for one of these dolls - they are incredibly intricate and the work that goes into them is amazing. I've also seen people receiving their newborn babies and the accessories which go with them - they are beautiful!

LondonGranny Fri 27-Sep-19 20:19:11

Correct me if I'm wrong Shazell but didn't they first get made for mothers of stillborn children? I'm sure I read that somewhere but I think I read it on the internet so could be completely wrong.

Urmstongran Fri 27-Sep-19 19:54:17

Hello Shazell
?

Why are the dolls called ‘reborn’ please?

leyla Fri 27-Sep-19 19:34:42

Welcome! I can’t imagine having one but I am fascinated by the dolls! I believe they bring a lot of comfort to some people. Are you a conventional portrait artist too?

LondonGranny Thu 26-Sep-19 15:40:55

I think they are amazingly realistic and have also heard they are very useful in homes where people have dementia. The skill required to make them is truly impressive.
I can't say I don't find them creepy but I hated dolls when I was little too because I thought they were dead babies.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 26-Sep-19 15:04:35

Welcome. I think that they made some of the residents in the nursing home where my mum was very happy indeed and serve a real purpose where otherwise medication might have been used. I saw some residents calm down and be so gentle with the dolls. This applies to both the ladies and the gentlemen. I know some people don’t like them but have seen the effect they had I believe every care home should have them. Well done you.

SirChenjin Thu 26-Sep-19 14:50:08

Shazel1 - that must be a very interesting hobby and you're obviously a very talented artist to be able to make them.

I watched a documentary on the subject a while back and was struck by how sad some of the stories of the women who ordered them were. Do you find that to be the case, or do people (women?) order them for all sorts of reasons?

BlueBelle Thu 26-Sep-19 14:46:40

Welcome to Gransnet shazet and I bet you are a really talented artist as they are very realistic but I m so sorry Im another one who thinks they are, gosh what word can I use to not insult, ...strange, very cleverly made but not my thing at all and I do think people that push them around like they are a real baby are acting very weirdly I woman came in my shop and was parading it like a real baby getting people to look in the pram
When my mum had dementia she loved every doll as a real baby even ones with very unbabylike faces ?
Am I right in thinking you paint the faces to specification sometimes ?

MiniMoon Thu 26-Sep-19 14:25:06

Those dolls are beautiful. You must be talented as they look so real.
I was walking with DH and a couple, about our age were pushing a buggy with a baby in it. When I looked again I realised that it was a doll and not a real baby. I was on the point of congratulating them on their grandchild ?, I'm glad I didn't.
My hobby is crochet, I make pretty baby clothes, if you need any. ?

ninathenana Thu 26-Sep-19 12:20:46

Sorry Shazell I should have said welcome to GN. Please do not be put off.

ninathenana Thu 26-Sep-19 12:18:48

They are indeed a work of art with amazing detail. Yes they serve a purpose. A lady with dementia in the same home as mum was in loved hers like a real child and it was a great comfort to her.

Sara65 Thu 26-Sep-19 11:21:33

Three of my grandchildren have them, I love them, can’t resist picking them up for a cuddle.

Shazell, I’m amazed at the details these dolls have, when I bought them I spoke to the lady who made them several times, and she was quite happy to tweak them to the requirements of the children. Sounds like a good hobby to me.

jaylucy Thu 26-Sep-19 10:47:32

No, sorry, not my thing but I know they are really popular. I also know that they take a lot of time to make and everyone that I have met that loves them have been some of the nicest, kindest people you could meet.
One of the nursing staff when I was in hospital was telling me that she collects them (funny conversations you have when being washed in the morning!) She was saying that she started with one because it reminded her of her daughter when she was a newborn and went on from there!

Chestnut Thu 26-Sep-19 10:39:33

Shazell you have just been shot down in flames! I think it would be kinder for people not to comment if they don't like someone's hobby rather that use words like 'horrible' and 'the creeps'. I hope you are not put off from posting again.

grannylyn65 Thu 26-Sep-19 10:33:19

Horrible

vena11 Thu 26-Sep-19 10:28:02

No don't like them

BBbevan Thu 26-Sep-19 10:19:32

Dislike those dolls. Though I expect they serve a purpose

EllanVannin Thu 26-Sep-19 10:10:22

My hobby is solving crimes. Among other things.

EllanVannin Thu 26-Sep-19 10:09:37

Sorry, they give me the creeps. Having spent most of my working life with the NHS and the amount of deceased that you see inc. children and babies I could no more have one of those " dolls " in the house than fly in the air.

Shazel1 Thu 26-Sep-19 09:40:25

Morning just joined so very new lol looking forward to seeing your hobbies .ime reborn artist which is I make realistic dolls grin