Among my mother's possessions were some dainty embroidered and lace-edged handkerchiefs.
As we have loads of lavender in the garden, my sister suggested making lavender bags out of them, as no one uses hankies these days.
It's the wrong time of year, but can anyone give me some ideas? I am not a very neat needlewoman. I have a sewing machine and an overlock machine, but the material is very fine and will probably have to be hand-sewn.
- when is the best time to pick the lavender?
- how long should I dry it? Do I dry it in the oven or just lay it out on newspaper in a dry place?
- how can I be certain there are no insects on it?
- what is the best technique for pulling the buds off the stalks?
- Can I put the lavender directly in the handkerchief bags or should I make inner packets? Or would this muffle the scent?
- how much lavender is necessary per bag? The ones I have been given on occasions are usually stuffed absolutely full with about 2-3 handfuls of lavender - that seems too much to me.
Very grateful to hear anyone's advice.
JackyB Sun 03-Nov-19 13:30:57
Ilovecheese Sun 03-Nov-19 13:47:29
Pantglas2 Sun 03-Nov-19 13:53:28
Squiffy Sun 03-Nov-19 14:13:53
MissAdventure Sun 03-Nov-19 16:10:17
M0nica Sun 03-Nov-19 16:19:48
Winniewit Fri 27-Dec-19 02:27:44
DoraMarr Fri 27-Dec-19 10:57:34
Chardy Fri 27-Dec-19 19:34:46