Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Hand made presents for grandchildren

(52 Posts)
Farmor15 Tue 17-Dec-19 21:00:47

Anyone else been making presents? I just made this activity bib for 9 month old GD. You can buy them, and older GD gets good entertainment from hers when travelling in car, but I decided to do one myself. She loves zips, so I incorporated one and various other playthings, all attached firmly.

I also made dolls clothes for another GD and decorated hand towels for the older 2. Enjoyed my bit of crafting, but now have to put away all sewing stuff before the invasion!

Doodle Wed 18-Dec-19 19:20:47

I am making quilts. 2.
Never made one before. One ¾ done other ½ done. Will I finish before Christmas? ?

Farmor15 Wed 18-Dec-19 19:46:16

Nice to hear about others efforts. ?. I got the idea partly from a bought one other GC had, and partly from “fidget quilt” for dementia patients. I’d actually made one of those and had been collecting odds and ends that might be suitable. The fabric I’d bought last year in a lovely shop in Netherlands.

Molly10 Wed 18-Dec-19 21:51:01

Brilliant idea. Well done you and it looks lovely. Far more special than overpriced commercial stuff.

Hithere Wed 18-Dec-19 21:52:38

It is so cute!

H1954 Wed 18-Dec-19 22:00:28

That looks lovely Farmor! I've made quite a lot of gifts this year; oven gloves mainly but we do have a young relative with a birthday very close to Christmas, I've made her gifts for both occasions, saved a lot of money and hugely reduced my overflowing fabric stash!
I've also made lots if things fir charity sales too!

glammagran Wed 18-Dec-19 22:44:42

That’s a fab idea Farmor looks great. Wish I’d known about these 9 months - DGD too old for one now.

Witzend Wed 18-Dec-19 22:50:47

@Feelingmyage55, it's a Sirdar pattern. If you google Sirdar Advent Calendar Alan Dart (the designer) or Alan Dart Advent Calendar, it should come up.

Just be warned, it's huge - finished size 70 x 50 cm - the one I made for little Gdcs hangs on the back of their kitchen door, but they love it. And it's a LOT of work, so don't do what I did and leave it until mid September to start it!

Well worth it though, if you have the time. The inserts hang on the Christmas tree.
Here's my finished article, though some of the inserts did come from a different pattern book - the Jean Greenhowe Christmas Special.

Farmor15 Wed 18-Dec-19 22:57:28

That’s amazing Witzend and certainly a lot of work. But it should last for years.

Witzend Wed 18-Dec-19 23:09:14

Did you have any sort of pattern for the bib, Farmor15?
I've just been googling but couldn't see anything - whether to make or buy - that looked as good as yours!

Farmor15 Wed 18-Dec-19 23:20:39

www.amazon.com/Amazing-Baby-Bunny-Activity-Bib/dp/B01D98EXMA?tag=gransnetforum-21
This is the one other GC has that I used as idea. But I added more stuff - just making it up as I went along. My one isn’t intended as bib for eating, just play, but I made it so toys could be detached for washing.
If anyone wants details, PM me and I’ll send fuller description and more photos.

Evie64 Wed 18-Dec-19 23:21:50

I paint designs on small glass jars and give them with a tea light candle in them. I also make garlic & Rosemary infused olive oil in handpainted bottles. They always go down well and I enjoy doing it. I find it relaxing.

grannybuy Thu 19-Dec-19 00:10:09

I make Scottish tablet as gifts. My tablet has been to various countries in the world, taken by my SIL, who travels through work. The Japanese were a little bit worried about the effect of the sugar on their teeth, apparently. Sensible people!

Feelingmyage55 Thu 19-Dec-19 00:25:46

witzend Many thanks. An added bonus is that I can reduce my embarrassingly large stash as I have the wool already.

DillytheGardener Thu 19-Dec-19 00:45:58

I’m not a very proficient seamstress, do you have a pattern for this for dummies? I would love to make something like this, my dil favours the handmade over the bought, she would adore this.

DillytheGardener Thu 19-Dec-19 00:46:35

Oh just saw the link, thank you, On mobile I struggle navigating this site.

DillytheGardener Thu 19-Dec-19 00:48:46

And once again, just realised the link is to a product not the pattern, yes please could you send photos etc to my inbox. Next I’ll have to figure that out. Feeling ancient! hmm

Gemini1789 Thu 19-Dec-19 00:50:10

My lot are getting a hat. I love knitting hats. This one was much admired , ‘ What a lovely er ...... ( scratch head ) tractor / car ! Thank you Grandma ‘
But it was meant to be a train. It needs more wheels I’m told. Never mind I tried.

MaternityLeave Thu 19-Dec-19 01:10:50

I love your bib op! Any chance of giving me a quote for an activity mat or cushion? My LO loves buttons and Zips atm. I am rubbish at sewing.

GreenGran78 Thu 19-Dec-19 12:56:13

I love the bib, Farmor15. What a lovely gift for a baby.
I used to make lots of things, but not any more. I hadn’t even knitted for some years, but noticed a sweater pattern with a Peppa Pig design on the front in our local charity shop. My little granddaughter is potty about Peppa, so I decided to make it for her.
Knitting the motif was very tricky, with all the different strands of wool requiring regular untangling. I was very relieved to finish Peppa, and get back to the plain knitting. Then I realised that in my absorption in knitting the design I had omitted to shape the armholes! I had to unpick Peppa down to her hips, and start over. Grrrrr! I was so annoyed with myself.
GD was delighted with her gift, but I think that I will stick to one colour in any future knitting!

Farmor15 Thu 19-Dec-19 16:38:31

Maternity Leave - I won't have time to take orders for the moment! A few people I showed it to thought there would be a market for them - might consider in a month or so after it's been tried and tested on GD. I noticed that the few available commercially seemed to be only in USA.

Oldandverygrey Thu 19-Dec-19 17:10:53

Love the hat Gemini, like you I am also a hat person.

MaternityLeave Sat 21-Dec-19 14:30:08

Farmor15, if you do go commercial with it, please let me know.

Xima Sun 22-Dec-19 08:10:22

very helpful, thank you!

Carenza123 Sun 22-Dec-19 09:45:53

I absolutely love the idea of handmade presents. I always remember one of my grandmothers making me a little sewing set as a present for one Christmas as a child. Unfortunately it’s lost over the years but it was crocheted, you could put it round your neck and on one side were the attached scissors and on the other a little pins and needle pad with attached thimble. It was so handy. These gifts mean so much more as they are made with time and love. Children should be encouraged to make a card or gift for others - it’s not all about them receiving lots of material presents.

goldengirl Sun 22-Dec-19 10:39:07

I've enjoyed watching Kirstie's Handmade Christmas - way beyond my ability but I have made some pull on hats and scarves to give away. I want to do more crafting in the New Year [first NY resolution!!!]