Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

11 year old GD with new sewing machine

(35 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Dec-19 16:09:51

I want to put together a kit to move her on a little to the next stage after scrunchies - any ideas?

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 19:18:39

theidearoom.net/simple-sewing-projects-kids/

I don't know if that link will work

midgey Tue 11-Feb-20 18:59:47

Sometimes Aldi and/or Lidl have various kits in the middle aisle. The boxes are usually massive but the kits inside much lighter!

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:56:20

I second the patchwork idea. I used to make little squares from spare bits of material, even recycled clothes, then stuff and stitch them together. I made cushion cases, little bags and pram quilts from them.

Sussexborn Tue 11-Feb-20 18:50:42

I bought a sewing machine a few years ago but haven’t really used it very much. Will have to follow up on some of these ideas.

Welshwife Tue 11-Feb-20 18:41:11

She could also maybe learn how to do different types of seams - flat - run and fell - enclosed etc. I can remember I learned to do these (by hand) when I was about 11.
I also used to adapt clothes to my fancy - I learned valuable lessons there too.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 18:14:24

I may try scrunchies next - surely I can manage that?

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 18:13:16

I have a new sewing machine!!
Hurray
However, it took me 30 minutes to work out how to thread it and wind the bobbin.

Wind the bobbin up? It was me who was wound up, it seems so much more complicated than my old machine.
And I seem to have completely lost the knack with curtains!
Please may borrow your DGD, mcem.

mcem Tue 11-Feb-20 17:43:26

Chapter 2
DGD is 9 and took the ironing seriously too.

mcem Tue 11-Feb-20 17:39:00

Very topical! My DGD was given a simple brother sewing machine a few weeks ago. So far she has made 2 quilts for the dolls of friends. Slightly wobbly straight seams! About to start on patchwork and plans to make a cushion cover for mum's birthday.

Susie42 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:31:34

Some good ideas mentioned but all I would say is please make sure that your GD is taught that all seams, etc. must be pressed so that her sewing always looks good.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 31-Dec-19 07:00:22

Just to add a bit more to what I am aiming to do. My GD lives in Australia. We talk and face time and I can record a demonstration of techniques if needed. I thought I could put together packs (lightweight!) With step by step instructions. I will have a look at Hobycraft and kits for children as that will give me inspiration. I know from the scrunchy making that young people like to make what appeals to them and their friends so I would like to add simple clothing projects as time goes by. I can always make a sample if it helps.

Thank you for following this thread. It really helps.

ladymuck Tue 31-Dec-19 06:40:01

If you watch the craft shows on tv, you will know there are lots of kits available....simple and more advanced. Have you looked at Hobbycraft? They have plenty of simple things intended for children.
Lucky little girl, I hope it opens up a new world for her.

BradfordLass72 Tue 31-Dec-19 06:08:42

Why not try Crazy Patchwork?

It's freeform, great fun and lends itself to learning about the machine by multiple stitch styles.
It's very forgiving and all you need is a backing sheet of any size (this one is small) and colour; some fat quarters and any oddments from the 'rag bag' (does anyone still have a rag bag?)

As you see, I used some left-over, patches from quilts for the central panel but you don't need anything so structured.

The rest are pieces of any shape and size from old garments, plus some sparkly and silvery materials.

A quilter friend made one from many different lace shapes - beautiful.

Mine has been much admired (ny didl has laid claim to it on my demise!) and it took me (after tacking pieces in place) only about an hour to make up.

You can sew it with a thin batting already inside and bind the border with a contrasting ribbon, or leave one end open and slide the batting in later, before sewing up the end.

craftyone Mon 30-Dec-19 16:10:06

mine made a skirt, a bag and an apron at 11. She was very keen but now she is 12 and pre-teen and hormonal, no more sewing interest. Oh well, I tried and even bought her a decent machine for her 11th birthday

GracesGranMK3 Fri 27-Dec-19 17:29:41

Just to say thank you for the added ideas. I am making a list smile

H1954 Fri 27-Dec-19 16:49:23

What about a mat to stand her sewing machine on? I always have one under my machine, it makes it really easy to "push away" the machine if I need the table space for any reason when I'm sewing. Just two layers of fabric with some wadding in between, this need not be expensive either; I've used old towels or flanelette sheeting before.

Carillion01 Fri 27-Dec-19 16:48:18

What a great age to start the love of sewing and fabric for her. Last year when I was visiting my GD in the UK I bought three books from The British Heart Foundation charity shop.

They were all by Debbie Shore and covered a big variety of small and bigger sewing projects ( I think you can get them very reasonably on Amazon and from a company called World of Books found on a famous auction site...free postage in the UK I think). I bet she'd love them

kittylester Fri 27-Dec-19 16:41:26

We bought our dgd, aged 11, a book of things to make from fat quarters together with a couple of bundles of fat quarters. We wanted something that produced a fairly quick result for her. She seemed pleased!

PamelaJ1 Fri 27-Dec-19 16:37:54

No ideas, but just wanted to say- what a fabulous thing that she wanted a sewing machine.
Does this mean that there is hope for the future?

HildaW Fri 27-Dec-19 13:17:51

Sewing machine patchwork - helps to learn measuring and cutting accurately and sewing seams neatly. First in strips then using the strips to make a bag or a cushion cover.
Also its not too early to start on a very simple pattern try the Minerva website for inspiration.

lavenderzen Fri 27-Dec-19 12:02:29

I think that's lovely GG, lots of ideas for her to make. I loved sewing as a child and my Mum taught me to use her sewing machine from a very early age. I used to make clothes for myself later on in my teenage years.

Fennel Fri 27-Dec-19 11:47:57

I was given my Gran's old fashioned manual Singer at that age, and later passed it on to my 2 girls.
They were more interested in making clothes for themselves. Or for their dolls.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Dec-19 22:24:14

Her mum will help but I would like to do my long distance granny bit. I shall have a good list!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 26-Dec-19 22:21:44

Buy a simple pattern from the craft section of the pattern books and start her learning from scratch. Did this with my 11 & 13 year olds, the made bags and now much older buy patterns to make other things and love it.

Doodle Thu 26-Dec-19 22:15:06

What about bunting. Cut out triangles and sew onto a tape strip. Could be colours to match her bedroom.