Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Can any of your children or grandchildren knit?

(53 Posts)
Daddima Fri 27-Dec-19 18:53:24

The sewing machine thread made me realise that neither of my granddaughters or indeed any of my sons/ grandsons can knit. In my day, knitting was taught in school ( albeit only to girls!), though my granny had already taught my cousin and me to knit.

Judy54 Sat 02-May-20 14:23:10

No I am not a knitter myself. My excuse is that being left handed made it difficult to learn. In truth it is because knitting, sewing and any sort of craft work hold no interest for me whatsoever. I have the greatest admiration for those who can but it is just not my cup of tea!

CraftyGranny Sat 02-May-20 13:34:42

I have three boys who, when young, were never interested in hand knitting, although I would leave them to do straight rows on my knitting machine. Does that count?

Two of my DGDs can knit, I used to sit them on my knee to start with, so they could watch me knit slowly, then let them do some. They got there quite quickly. One of them now (16) can knit, crochet and sew, she does this between revision for GCSE ! She is very enthusiatic to learn new crafts.

My DM taught me to knit when I was young but she could never crochet. My DGM taught me to crochet but she didn't knit although she did lacemaking.

My DM and DA were machinists (or is it seamstresses) so my sisters and I were able to use the machines and get help too.

I don't know about you but when my GC get to about 8 years old, they are not very keen on granny knitting for them, they much prefer shop bought clothes.

Which reminds me, when my DSs were in Junior School, one asked me if we were very poor, I asked why, and was told that one of the kids at school had said we must be poor because your mum makes your clothes!

twinnytwin Sat 02-May-20 12:56:56

My eldest granddaughter (10) can knit - she has a club at school to learn. I bought her a sewing machine to use here as she watches me sew all the time. She's getting quite good now. The second (8) doesn't seem to be interested yet. Their Mum hasn't a clue about sewing or knitting, but can bake like a professional.

Bossyrossy Sat 02-May-20 12:39:28

YouTube is great for learning to knit and for more advanced knitters it’s brilliant for interpreting knitting patterns. You can stop and start the video and watch over and over again until you’ve got it.

mcem Sat 02-May-20 12:25:06

Dd1 knits beautifully and found knitting very therapeutic during difficult pregnancies. Dd2 has recently gone back to crochet in lockdown!
Both currently seen as 'mindful' activities.

Gran Mum and I were all knitters from and early age. DGD is latest recruit and has grasped the basics.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 02-May-20 11:32:13

Yes my adult GD can knit, just.... She was taught by a resident in a nursing home, unfortunately she couldn't remember how to cast off.

Witzend Sat 02-May-20 11:20:57

I have thought of it, thank you, @littleflo, but at only just 5 I would much rather be sitting next to her on the sofa.
My dd says she’s going to try to work it out, so she can help her, but since she’s also got a 3 3/4 year old human hurricane aka Gds, plus a young baby, I’m not holding my breath!

ninathenana Sat 02-May-20 09:20:29

I know lefties can learn to knit but I could never teach my daughter.
Odd thing is her friend taught her to crochet, which is something I have never learnt.

littleflo Sat 02-May-20 08:19:26

@Witzend, have you tried teaching her over face time. We bought a couple of games for us and the children that we play over the net. Although Grandad did get accused of cheating when he dropped the board

Esspee Fri 01-May-20 22:46:03

The school my granddaughters attend in Los Angeles teaches knitting, weaving and sewing to boys and girls. The elder one surprised the teacher at age 5 by being very competent at simple sewing as her grandma had taught her ?

Callistemon Fri 01-May-20 22:38:20

None of my DC knit or crochet although I remember my mum teaching the older ones. I taught DGS to knit, he picked it up very quickly but then announced it was boring and would rather play outside.
The DGD don't knit; if we were all in lockdown together perhaps I could have taught them. DGD1 can sew a bit but isn't that interested.

DD1 is excellent at sewing, quilting etc.
I've only just learned to crochet.

Westcoaster Fri 01-May-20 21:39:54

My daughter wasn't interested in knitting although was good at cross-stitch. 6 yr old DGD got a knitting set from someone at Christmas and by some miracle has actually learnt how to knit. Unfortunately her knitting is here and she isn't!

storynanny Fri 01-May-20 21:08:17

Can’t remember a time when I didn’t knit crochet and sew so I must have been quite young
My three sons were not interested and my grandchildren are still quite young
My eldest grandson showed interest and I started to teach him to knit but after a few days he lost interest! He was about 7 I think I wouldn’t start earlier than that

JuliaM Fri 01-May-20 20:40:49

My Mother and School both taught me to knit, although Mother could never realy get on with Crochet, which was taught to me at High school. I Taught all five of my Daughters as Children, but only one of them has carried the hobby on till now. None of them Crochet. Some of my Grandchildren can do simple knitting, but they do enjoy other needle crafts, mainly learned from Arts and Crafts lessons at primary school.

Witzend Fri 01-May-20 18:54:04

My Gdd1 had a First Knitting set for her recent 5th birthday and is very keen to try, but my dd hasn’t a clue! I’ve sent a little video and I know there’s YouTube, but I do wish I could be there to help her. ?
She also had a First Sewing set - items with ready-punched holes to sew up, and took to that straight away.

littleflo Fri 01-May-20 18:50:10

My grandson and granddaughter do a bit of crochet when they come to me. They make chains and then we turn them into something else.

Purplepixie Fri 01-May-20 16:44:28

All 4 of my grandkids can knit, all taught by me. Infact the youngest aged 10 has just finished a scarf ? during the lock down with her mam and sister. 3 of them can also do cross stitch and I think they are neater than me. One of them aged 12 wants to learn how to use the sewing machine. That's once this lock down has gone. I think all children should be taught some sort of craft.

Craftycat Fri 01-May-20 13:04:27

Neither of my DGD can knit.
I am still getting over the experience of trying to teach my eldest DGD how to cross stitch! Admittedly she is a total nightmare as she never listens but I was a gibbering wreck at the end & she had only managed 3 stitches without me having to unpick them!
Her cousin will probably be easier to teach when the time comes- if I can put myself through it again.
I have taught 2 of my DGS to cook (quite challenging dishes too) with no problem at all.

M0nica Mon 03-Feb-20 16:25:33

DD is a skilled knitter, crocheter, needlewoman and any other craft she cares to take up (envy, envy). She knits for herself and other members of the family. This year I got 2 pairs of fingerless gloves in my stocking and DDiL got a beautiful multi coloured sweater.

We have taught DGD to sew and she has made clothes for herself and was given a sewing machine one christmas. Her Year 7 teacher was very impressed. However we tried to teach her knitting but she was too impatient.

Davida1968 Mon 03-Feb-20 16:00:38

grannyactivist, I think that's superb zebra! Respect!

Witzend Mon 03-Feb-20 15:56:18

My dd who never learned to knit (no patience!) thinks I ought to teach Gdd, but she’s still only 4, will be 5 in April, and I think it’s too young. I was thinking 6 at least. Anyone had any success with a younger one? I don’t mean anything fancy, just a few basic rows of ‘in, over, through, off’.

Cabbie21 Sat 28-Dec-19 18:31:13

I tried to teach both my daughter and my granddaughter to knit without success. I do all the sewing for her (mending and name tapes) . Today I commented that she and the children could learn to sew for themselves. Her response was to say that if she took up the challenge, then I must learn something new too.
I wonder what to learn?

Witzend Sat 28-Dec-19 17:57:29

Dragonfly, I don’t think either of my dds really know how to sew on a button, either. Nor mend a hem, though I’ve tried to show them more than once.

And this despite at least a year of sewing lessons at senior school. Both dds loathed it, but I can’t see that they ever made anything useful, and I don’t recall them being taught any really useful basics, like buttons and hems. Why on earth not I can’t imagine.

My son in law stitches on his own buttons, or they would never get done. But then he’s the type who will tackle just about anything.

grannyactivist Sat 28-Dec-19 15:02:33

This is one of my son's creations, I think it's crocheted rather than knitted though.

Esspee Sat 28-Dec-19 13:15:03

The school my granddaughters attend in California teach knitting and sewing from about 6 years old. (both boys and girls). The eldest had already been taught to sew by me from about 3 years old and she impressed the teacher by nonchalantly threading the needle and tying a knot when they started.
Her father was taught to sew at secondary school here in Scotland. To my shame I had not thought to impart this very basic life skill and had always done it for him. Seeing him sew a button on with no suggestion that it was women’s work was a wake up call for me.
OH was in the military and is offended if I offer to do any sewing required.