Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Making face masks

(25 Posts)
Rosiebee Thu 30-Apr-20 11:55:09

You Tube look for MSQ. Jenny Doan has a brilliant video on making masks with elastic or tape. I had a go and it turned out ok and then made another lined with vilene. Good idea to use flannelet for side nearest to face. She makes the point that they don't stop you catching it but could stop you spreading it.

Farmor15 Wed 29-Apr-20 15:42:42

I've just made a few using CDC method : www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html method for sewn ones.
I did a bit of experimentation and found that old, softer cotton fabric, cut on bias worked best for outside, with lining of old sheet fabric.

SirChenjin Tue 28-Apr-20 17:56:18

Scottish Govt advice as of today is that we should wear them in confined areas like public transport and supermarkets - not mandatory but recommended. The UK is now considering this.

I’ve bought a few with internal pockets for folded hankerchiefs and will wear them. They’re held in place with thin knicker elastic.

vegansrock Tue 28-Apr-20 17:51:37

Masks are not useless. They definitely lower transmission from an infected person ( who might not know they are infected) . In Hong Kong masks have been compulsory from the start. Very low infection rate. If masks are useless why do surgeons wear them?

craftyone Tue 28-Apr-20 17:47:36

what is wrong with catching a sneeze in a hankie? Everyone can feel a sneeze coming on

Masks are useless btw

goldenlady1 Fri 24-Apr-20 12:05:16

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEX2-n2Hc

start making them and fight the virus...

Alexa Fri 03-Apr-20 13:25:46

"using something that is slightly less than perfect but better than nothing."

Monica, that's good advice in most areas of life smile

vegansrock Thu 02-Apr-20 21:01:20

I have made several face masks using this pattern. there are different sizes so you can make it to fit snuggly round the nose and if you make the elastic tight there aren’t any gaps. Use 2 layers of tightly woven fabric with a non woven interlining, you can make a pocket for a filter. No it’s not for use in surgery, but it’s washable and prevents you sneezing over others, touching your face and it keeps your nose warm.
www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

Gingster Thu 02-Apr-20 20:19:33

Of course Monica, better than nothing

M0nica Thu 02-Apr-20 19:55:38

I am making masks for DH and I. I sneezed twice when shopping today and each time my mask contained it and stopped the aerosol reaching other people and, had I sneezed into my sleeve, stopped my transferring any virus or bacteria to the food and shelving if I reached up to get goods off a high shlf.

I wear a mask to do one shop in one shop. I then bring it home and wash it in very hot water. It also stops me touching my face.

I think sometimes, despite the critical nature of the crisis we face, there is a tendency to let the search for perfection to get in the way of using something that is slightly less than perfect but better than nothing.

Tweedle24 Thu 02-Apr-20 14:07:57

Lots of tips on Utube for making face masks but, please be careful. As BradfordLass says, they can be a breeding ground for bacteria, especially when they get moist. Be careful applying and removing as you will be touching your face. Wash hands before and after removal and dispose of safely.

I am sure no-one on here would do it but, I have seen pictures of masks and gloves dropped onto the ground outside shops after shopping.

Tea3 Thu 02-Apr-20 13:58:49

I hope that's an unworn thong you are talking about there Annsixty.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Apr-20 12:52:19

Just a reminder to follow WHO guidelines on face masks and other coronavirus precautions. There's a lot of conflicting information out there and the situation is evolving so please do keep your eye on the latest guidance and stay safe! flowers

Laughterlines Thu 02-Apr-20 10:09:27

My friend in Italy is making face masks for family with greaseproof paper and elastic bands and staple gun. Anything to relieve the boredom I suppose.

annsixty Thu 02-Apr-20 10:04:25

Sadly I can’t send videos on here but I received one showing how to adapt... a thong.
It fitted over the head covering the face and nose with the bit that goes at the front, leaving the cheeks (facial) and eyes free.
The bit of “string” goes over the head keeping it in place.
My “big knickers from M&S were useless.
Sorry to digress on a genuine question but couldn’t resist.

Alexa Thu 02-Apr-20 09:13:28

I imagine the basic shape is made by gathering or pleating the ear side ends of the rectangle of textile?

Barmeyoldbat Wed 01-Apr-20 11:34:34

I have made quite a few masks. I use very fine cotton and then back it with a man made fabric that hasn't been woven to act as the filter, I attach fine elastic either side to loop it over ears.

Alexa Wed 01-Apr-20 11:24:41

actually I thought thin elastic such as we used to use for knickers would be more convenient.

Alexa Wed 01-Apr-20 11:22:32

Thanks Farmor. I like making useful things. I thought if somebody was looking after small children and had to wear a mask , one made of amusing patterned textile would be playful.

Farmor15 Tue 31-Mar-20 23:29:41

From what I’ve read, masks can reduce the risk of an infected person spreading the illness.

Farmor15 Tue 31-Mar-20 23:27:36

Alexa - I think if you search for “woven tape” you should find something that suits.

Alexa Tue 31-Mar-20 23:23:10

I sometimes sneeze quite a lot and so a face mask keeps much of my snot from flying outwards towards others. I do of course have many snot stoppers and would like some to affix near to my face with tapes.

Esspee Tue 31-Mar-20 11:20:31

Not only are they useless but are breeding grounds for bacteria etc.
Unless you have a proper one (like a gas mask) don't wear one.

BradfordLass73 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:58:43

According to the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins Medical Centre, facemasks, unless they fit tightly against the skin, are worse than useless, giving a false sense of protection.

www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/the-right-mask-for-the-task.html

Locally, they are using all sorts of materials and elastic to hook over the ears - but I can't see the point.

Alexa Tue 31-Mar-20 10:21:35

Making face masks. Please how should I describe the tape I need for tying at the back or the head? It has to be washable and thin. I will have to send to ebay or amazon for it.

I have a lot of old pure silk scarves that will make very nice masks, and these are of course, already hemmed, and washable.