Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Headbands for Nurses.

(12 Posts)
Teetime Fri 10-Apr-20 12:01:50

Nurses here are wearing headbands with a button on each side to attach their mask to as the skin behind their ears is becoming sore with the constant rubbing of elastic from the mask. They are asking for more so if anyone is good at sewing and looking for a project I'm sure it will be appreciated.
They are also asking for drawstring bags but I'm not sure what they are for.

Teetime Fri 10-Apr-20 12:07:39

The drawstring bags are to take their used uniform home in for laundering.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 12:10:07

Their poor faces. It showed a pic in the newspaper yesterday of one nurse's face and it looked for all the world as though it was blistered. Not good when germs can enter sores.

These protective shields shouldn't be mass-produced on a " one size fits all " basis as it's obvious that everyone's a different shape. Goes for gowns too where there's too much slack and trousers trailing along floors.

Lucca Fri 10-Apr-20 12:22:48

Ellan the masks that my old school is producing at a rate of two hundred a day are adjustable for that very reason !
I’m very proud.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 12:52:27

That's good to hear Lucca, well done to them.

GagaJo Fri 10-Apr-20 13:53:16

Two of my previous schools are doing the same.

Greymar Fri 10-Apr-20 13:55:11

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. Not your lovely efforts. The 4th most wealthy country in the world?

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 14:06:57

Not when it comes to the health and welfare of its nursing staff, Greymar

JackyB Fri 10-Apr-20 14:50:46

My sister has been sewing the laundry bags and has been asked to do some scrubs. Not sure if the material is provided.

Lucca Fri 10-Apr-20 15:11:13

Times like this I wish I was more practical. I’m rather cack handed although I used to own a sewing machine.....

SueDonim Fri 10-Apr-20 15:48:54

There’s a much simpler way of easing the sore ears caused by masks. A paper clip! Definitely no sewing involved.

twitter.com/PVCLansdale/status/1242824382134857728

Txquiltz Fri 10-Apr-20 15:57:58

I have been making masks with ties instead of elastic. I make my own bias fold tape from fabric cut off grain, bind the top and bottom of the mask with plenty left over for the ties, and stitch the sides including the pleats. Seems to fit better than those with elastic.