Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

To make stuff with scissors

(7 Posts)
Alexa Wed 06-May-20 10:40:05

For example I like shirts but not their cuffs which even rolled jup are bulky and useless. So I cut them off above the wrist opening. Unhemmed they don't fray too much. I also have some shirts with sleeves entirely removed as like my open front cardigans, and sleeves are a nuisance when working with water.

My latest alteration, last night actually, was to cut off the hood and sleeves, and slice up the entire front, cardigan -wise, of a long cosy soft fleece that I wanted to wear in bed on top of my t shirt, as the night had turned cold almost freezing.

Elegran Wed 06-May-20 11:26:04

I have a pair of trousers which used to belong to my dear late husband, who was at least six inches taller than me. I wear them for gardening, but had to roll up the hems as they were always getting muddy. Then I took the scissors to them and sliced them off at ankle level. Much better!

Witzend Fri 08-May-20 20:53:26

During the last very hot summer, when short of cool enough tops, I dug out a very thin cotton beach cover-up in a white self-check - sort of mid-thigh length - which I hadn’t worn for years and v likely never would again. Cut it down to make a longish top, hemmed the bottom, wore it loads - brilliant!

Alexa Thu 14-May-20 10:13:44

I have done likewise, Witzend.

Yesterday I cut the sleeve ends off a denim parka which I fancied might be more useful as an almost-waistcoat, so I could wear it indoors over a t-shirt. It still looked all the wrong shape for me, so I binned it thus now easier to decide what to dress myself in.

Alexa Thu 14-May-20 10:15:20

PS I did however cut the sleeve ends off a long zip up hoodie and I am pleased with the result it now slips on easily over a t-shirt.

JoyBloggs Thu 14-May-20 11:37:33

I have an ongoing patchwork quilt project, started in the 1970s when I was first married. My MiL made one and I thought it was lovely so, inspired by this, I started my own. She taught me how to do it using traditional hexagons. MiL is long gone but I have inherited her quilt. Mine is a real hotchpotch of 'stuff'... children's school uniforms, DH's smart business shirts, flowery cottons from clothes worn by dear relatives long gone, and even scraps from a maternity smock I made for myself over 40 years ago. Every so often it is brought out and we remember the people and the stories behind the fabrics. It wouldn't win any design awards but it is meaningful and precious to our family.

Anyway, back to the OP... on the subject of scissors - whenever any cotton clothes wear out, I always find an area eg the back of a shirt which is not too worn, and chop off a piece to add to the quilt. I have quite a few bits 'pending' and instead of sitting here I should go and fish it out and get on with it! I doubt it will ever be finished by me, but maybe the family will pick it up when I shuffle off. Who knows, it might still be 'work in progress' long into the future.

Alexa Thu 14-May-20 19:13:38

Joy Bloggs , your patchwork of memories is a material thing this is not something most people could claim