Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting with very fluffy yarn - any experiences?

(11 Posts)
Witzend Thu 09-Jul-20 08:23:08

I’ve finished the fluffy white brim of no. 1 hat - just waiting for non-fluffy red chunky to arrive. Fluffy was much easier on fat needles, I soon got used to it, but still glad the brim is just garter stitch.
In the meantime, on with the other C-word projects. Nice to have plenty of time for once - previously I’ve been going hell for leather because it seemed all wrong to start them before at least September.

readsalot Tue 07-Jul-20 13:14:31

I prefer fluffy yarn to eyelash yarn. After a couple of rows you get used to it and can see the stitches easier.

Namsnanny Mon 06-Jul-20 10:55:43

I think white fluffy and red non fluffy is a better 'look' than all fluffy witzend.
In my minds eye it will look less fussy.

Put up a photo when it's done if you can?
smile
I'm looking forward to knitting again. I've been busy with other crafts/jobs for a while.

Witzend Fri 03-Jul-20 18:12:04

I think I used black ‘eyelash’ too, @Namsnanny, but only for the moustache of the Alan Dart pirate I made for Gds. Certainly wouldn’t want to make anything bigger with it.

I previously found fluffy white virtually impossible on no. 11 needles - it was for a mini polar bear insert for a huge Advent Calendar - Alan Dart again.
In the end I gave up and just knitted him in standard cream DK - he turned out fine.

Namsnanny Fri 03-Jul-20 17:45:03

That sounds a good compromise Witzend. I've developed an allergy to fluffy wool so it's a nono for me.
But I did knit with some eyelash wool and that was a nightmare if I went wrong!
It was black too so bit of a strain on the eyes!

Witzend Fri 03-Jul-20 12:49:02

Thanks v much, everybody.
It’s a project for later in the year (Santa hats for 3 Gdcs), but I’ve given the fluffy white for the brim a trial run- not too bad on fat needles, but all the same I think I’m going to do the red bit in standard chunky! Fluffy red chunky is still sold out anyway.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:45:53

They say, I don't often knit myself, that fluffy yarn is easier to work with if you pop it into the freezer first.

Sounds rather chilly to work with to me, but perhaps there are knitters who know if it works?

Witzend Wed 03-Jun-20 21:48:53

Thank you both. I always have to look anyway, but it seems that I shall have to be extra careful.

25Avalon Wed 03-Jun-20 13:56:42

I have knitted with Cuddles. It is lovely and soft when it knits up but I found it quite difficult to knit with in that if I made a mistake I found it very hard to undo and put right.

annodomini Wed 03-Jun-20 13:47:41

Some time ago, I made a fluffy crop top for DGD and didn't find it specially difficult. I can usually knit without looking all the time, but with fluffy yarn, I had to keep an eye on it. After all that, madam didn't like her top very much and I only saw her wearing it once!

Witzend Wed 03-Jun-20 12:41:30

I did try this once before, a very small item on 3 mm needles and had to give up and make it in standard DK - too hard to see the stitches.

Have now seen a pattern I’d like to make later on for 3 Gdcs, but it’s in all fluffy yarn (King Cole Cuddles) but chunky and on much bigger needles. Reviews of the yarn are mixed, some say fine, some say hard to work with.

I’ve ordered just one ball of the yarn to try out - one of the colours I’d need is out of stock anyway.
Has anyone found it was all right after a bit of practice?