Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Can Local Dressmakers Copy Garments?

(18 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 09-Jun-20 20:41:54

I had dresses copied when I lived in Shanghai. I had multiple versions of my good old M&S work dresses made.

It's almost worth going back just to go to the dressmaker. I loved it. Which fabric? How long?

I also like eShakti. I bought 4 dresses from them about a year ago. Two are lovely. Two I didn't like. I'd buy the two I liked again, in different colours.

Schnauzer1 Tue 09-Jun-20 20:29:57

If you have one to show a dressmaker, I don't see why they couldn't make one. There are lots of dressmaker/tailor shops around and they make made to measure clothes every day for customers.

craftyone Sun 07-Jun-20 19:34:44

have a look on amazon at style arc pattern. toni

Allegretto Sat 06-Jun-20 12:04:59

I recently bought a book of clothing patterns by Nani Iro. I got it on amazon. It has a range of dress patterns, including a cocoon dress.

trisher Sat 06-Jun-20 11:52:36

My mum had a dressmaker in the 50s and I had a couple of things made by her. She could make a dress similar to one you showed her. An essential part of the process was the fittings when the garment was adjusted to fit properly. I don't know if you will be able to find anyone like that now.

craftyone Sat 06-Jun-20 11:39:45

there are quite a few of uk indie patterns about, this sounds like the type of dress I have seen while pattern hunting. I believe you will find such a pattern. I only ever use indie designers these days

Alexa Sat 06-Jun-20 11:21:37

Thanks for the advice even though finding such a dressmaker seems improbable.

Alexa Sat 06-Jun-20 11:19:06

I donlt want an exact copy. What I have in mind is a dress style which I think is called 'cocoon'. It is almost but not quite straight up and down , has no waist seam and is wider at the hips than at the bust, but goes in again a very little at the lower hemline. There are two pockets inset into the side seams at hip level.

I have one one from Gudrun Sjoden.

Gelisajams Sat 06-Jun-20 10:48:27

There’s nothing to stop you cutting up an ‘old’ dress and using the pieces to make a new one.

craftyone Sat 06-Jun-20 10:26:19

you need a pattern drafter and it would be expensive. You cannot copy an actual dress exactly, it would be stealing copyright. You could perhaps take some pattern drafting classes online. No short cuts here and certainly not on the cheap. I can alter patterns but no way would do it for someone else, it takes a long time to get a perfect fit

Best to have a chat with a local dressmaker when able, good ones are few and far between

Alexa Thu 04-Jun-20 22:25:13

Alishka, In Gibraltar a Spanish dressmaker came to my house and made clothes for my little boys. She was good at it. Later she made two dresses for me in the style I described to her. I am now guessing I'd not find such here in England unless I am lucky enough to get a personal recommendation.

Alishka Thu 04-Jun-20 20:10:24

I had clothes copied for me in Singapore and here in Birmingham there was a tailor in the Bullring markets who was a dab hand at copying clothes too.

vegansrock Thu 04-Jun-20 11:16:04

It is impossible to patent a clothes design a you only have to change a pocket or sleeve and its a different design. High street shops are always knocking off variations of designer garments.

vegansrock Thu 04-Jun-20 11:14:22

Someone who can do pattern cutting can copy a design.

paddyanne Thu 04-Jun-20 10:58:33

My GF used to do this for my mother and her sisters in the 1930's ,She would see a dress or suit in a magazine and he would sit up all night and make it for her if she wanted it for the next day...he was a tailor ... and she was a spoilt girl

Ilovecheese Thu 04-Jun-20 10:40:41

If you mean are they capable of copying a garment, then yes they should be able to, it depends on their level of expertise.

OceanMama Thu 04-Jun-20 09:43:36

Not copy. That's like stealing intellectual property, but not sure what the name for it is, or if it's the same, for fashion designs. They can design something original for you in the style you like though.

Alexa Thu 04-Jun-20 09:30:30

I ask because I know just what cut of garment suits me and they are not easy to find commercially.