Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Stash. Own up if you have any stash of any sort

(112 Posts)
craftyone Sat 06-Jun-20 11:57:08

I have stash and it is one of my life pleasures to add to my stash.

Carillion01 Sat 06-Jun-20 14:45:42

Hello shysal, I know what you mean about card-making. Whenever I have a real urge to make more cards I 'bag' them up into groups of ten when I've finished them and give them as gifts to friends. I've tried decorating small shoe boxes to use as gift boxes for the cards.

I think I'm going to have a 'bucket' that I'll put all extra but usable bits of card stock in and see if my local primary school will accept the 'stash'.

3nanny6 Sat 06-Jun-20 14:56:35

I have many adult intricate colouring books those ones supposed to be for therapy. Lots of colouring pencils felt tips and those gel pens. All really relaxing when you start working on the books. Also stashed in separate big box is chocolate, loads of it all different sorts . My brother keeps buying the chocolate for me even I have said not to he still does it.
It is relaxing doing the colouring and eating some nice chocolate but I am cutting the chocolate out and replacing it with fresh fruit if I have got the will power.

GrannyLaine Sat 06-Jun-20 15:11:20

Ohhh yes! Fabric, wool, (large quantities of both) paper crafting......

phoenix Sat 06-Jun-20 15:20:02

Make up blush much of which is probably past its use by date, and won't be used anyway (seem to have given up on it!)

Really must go through it and chuck it out, however..........Please see my "Default setting" thread, explains it all .

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 15:21:54

Where's my post?
Perhaps on the wrong thread.

I found a nice box this morning when I was clearing out so transferred some of my yarn stash into it from another old box. It made me feel much better, admiring my tidy stash.

dontmindstayinghome Sat 06-Jun-20 15:28:54

No I don't have any stashes of wool any more, I had a ruthless clear out last year. All the old wool and spare knitting needles
went to the local knitting group who knit for various charities.
I only have the current wool I'm using to crochet shawls for the local baby bank.

I do have little stashes of cash around the place though!

Puzzler61 Sat 06-Jun-20 15:33:31

Is jigsaw puzzling a craft? If so I had 25 jigsaws at the last count. Some are Canadian, American, German and I can’t bear to part with any.
The scenes cover all occasions in the year like Summer, Winter, Halloween, Christmas and the pictures have been created by artists and are extremely attractive.

SueDonim Sat 06-Jun-20 15:53:28

Stashes? :looks at the clouds and whistles: grin

I have a sideboard cupboard full of quilting materials and a blanket box full of yarn and cross stitch and tapestry paraphernalia. I don’t like to speak of what’s behind the sofa.

rubysong Sat 06-Jun-20 16:01:46

Two chests of drawers full of fabric, a shelf of knitting yarn, card making stuff, jewellery materials and tools. I was getting through some of the fabric making scrub bags and masks but now the blithering sewing machine is on the blink!

H1954 Sat 06-Jun-20 16:05:41

Oh yes, I have a stash of fabric! Whenever I make a garment or a craft project I won't throw anything away........I keep every little piece of fabric.........just in case ?. It pays off too because my grandkids love to make collages so there's always lots of scraps to work with.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 17:10:07

Puzzler DH sent all his jigsaw puzzles to the charity shop and now wishes he hadn't as so many are out of stock online now.
I managed to order more but they're not cheap.

Puzzler61 Sat 06-Jun-20 17:31:42

Callistemon I noticed Amazon private sellers seemed to up their jigsaw prices 3-fold immediately people began shielding in early March.

Chewbacca Sat 06-Jun-20 17:39:35

Before I moved house I drastically cut my craft stash down to a more reasonable amount but nevertheless I've still got:

Enough knitting yarn to knit jumpers for me and the grandchildren until they start university. They're 3 and 7 now.
Papercrafting stuff that fills an entire wall of shelves.
Cross stitch fabrics, threads, hoops and assorted paraphernalia that if I live to 100, I'll never get time to complete.
Tapestry kits, fabrics, yarns and stretchers.
Fabrics for re upholstery and dressmaking projects - enough to fill a storage chest and more
China painting equipment but no kiln to fire them in

I'll start on it all one day.....

craftyone Sat 06-Jun-20 17:42:33

hehe, this is certainly making me giggle, reading about stash all over the place. I used to be sucked into qvc cardmaking kits and ended up with all sorts of everything to make cards. We decided to move and I sold a lot via ebay and gave an equal amount to oxfam. I still have some of the cards I made

I also collected bucilla craft kits and made several christmas stockings and managed to give them away.

Those of us with crafting and arty stash, we are the lucky ones, something to do every day, something that makes us happy in lockdown.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 17:43:28

I'd usually buy them from a shop or charity shop, never bought online before. Someone also lent him some.
The thing is, once he starts one he doesn't get much else done!

The Yorkshire Jigsaw Company were good and had stock.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 17:48:05

I was going to do the cross stitch kits I bought years ago with all good intentions but thought I'd use up the yarn stash first hmm

pensionpat Sat 06-Jun-20 17:52:45

Although my only craft is card making the stash mounts up. During lockdown I have managed to get rid of. Sorry, donate, a lot of it to a local support group who distribute it to the many children who need occupation. Win-win.

Framilode Sat 06-Jun-20 18:05:20

I always have a stash of wine.

Callistemon Sat 06-Jun-20 18:15:13

Framilode grin

And on that note, I must go and do something useful.
Like open a bottle of wine

Chewbacca Sat 06-Jun-20 18:18:12

Ah! Forgot the quilting stuff..... old shirts and bed sheets torn into strips for the Manx Log Cabin quilt that is 1/3rd finished.

A needle felting kit to make a fox.
Crochet hooks galore, which I've got in the divine hope that one day, I'll actually master how to actually do it.

Feeling a bit uncomfortable about all this stuff now I've seen it written down. blush

Greyduster Sat 06-Jun-20 18:41:55

Funny you should say that! DH was just asking me today why I keep piles of worn out clothing to cut up for making rag rugs when I haven’t had any of the rug making stuff out for over a year! I promised I would “do something about it”!
My biggest stash by far is all my fly tying stuff in the garage - tools, vices, boxes of hooks, silk threads, varnishes, whole capes of game bird feathers, different kinds of fur and hair (it occurred to me recently that I missed a trick throwing away all the hair that I’m sweeping off the bathroom floor when I kid myself I can cut my own!) and glittery artificial material that fish are not supposed to be able to resist (?yeah, right!). And then there are the boxes of flies resulting from all this labour of love.......!

Westcoaster Sat 06-Jun-20 20:27:41

I have stash! Managed to use up almost all of my wool stash during lock-down, but still have far far far too much card-making stuff and a fair amount of fabric I bought ages ago full of good intentions.

Actually got around to cutting out fleece jackets for the DGC last week so when the sun goes I'll probably head upstairs and get them done.
grin

grannyrebel7 Sat 06-Jun-20 20:43:09

I don't have a stash of anything, but my DH has a stash of Lloyd Grossman curry sauces! Every time they're on offer he buys a load. They're taking up all my cupboard space and I don't even like bloody curry!

Chardy Sat 06-Jun-20 20:48:04

Five or six big boxes of wool, one box of fabric and quilt batting.

threexnanny Sat 06-Jun-20 21:08:04

This is like an AA meeting for crafters!
I've got frightening amounts of knitting wool, embroidery silks, fabrics and endless haberdashery items, but I am seeing this period as my one chance to use a good amount of it. Hand made cards and gifts for all the family this Christmas. (whether they want them or not).
I'm very glad I didn't get rid of my stash as I had intended last year.