Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Using up scraps

(10 Posts)
JackyB Tue 11-Aug-20 18:04:32

The thread on where to store handbags, mentioning dust bags for the good handbags, has given me another idea for my decluttering project.

I have loads of old sheets, towels, shirts, tee shirts, etc, which I have been collecting to make into cleaning rags.

I am really not very good at crafts but got a lot of satisfaction from making a whole bunch of cleaning cloths by running round squares with the overlock machine. I now have neat piles of uniform sized cloths in a variety of colours.

Some of the old things are too nice for just cleaning, though, and I have had ideas for simple items to make from these:

Aprons, bibs, face flannels from towels which have frayed edges, shoe bags, dolls' clothes, other accessories for dolls, bean bags (the kind you throw) and a smock for DGS for painting, as he starts school after the summer.

By the time I've done more of that, maybe my sewing skills will have improved and I can start on some "proper" needlework.

I have 4 huge washing baskets full of old sheets, etc, What else can I use them for?

Luckygirl Tue 11-Aug-20 18:17:36

Are they usable? I have just put lots of bed linen onto freecycle. Seems a shame to cut them up if they can be used.

I finished up with all the bed linen from my parents and from my OH's parents when they died and they have just been sitting in the airing cupboard for years - I am moving soon, so out they have gone! I hate to tell you, but some of my scrap material has also gone!!

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 11-Aug-20 19:21:36

You could turn some of the sheets into pillow cases, even for under cases.

I used a lot of mine as linings for tote bags, laundry bags, shoe bags etc.

Elegran Tue 11-Aug-20 19:45:23

You could use some of it as backing for Foundation Piecing patchwork like this www.youngquilters.org.uk/resources/stitch-and-flip-using-foundation-piecing.html This is not quite the same as Foundation Paper Piecing - what a minefield of names all these techniques are.

JackyB Wed 12-Aug-20 08:47:22

The sheets are partly from my Mil where she had already sewn them together at the edges, the middles having worn through. They are 100% cotton.

Pillow cases? When tidying away some bedlinen yesterday I realised that I have literally dozens of them! They will be joining the collection.

Linings is a good idea, though, and lining patchwork is also an obvious solution I hadn't seriously thought of.

I have done patchwork using paper as a backing material and will have a look at Elegran's suggestion.

FindingNemo15 Wed 12-Aug-20 09:04:14

Animal rescue homes are always looking for sheets, towels, etc., but not duvets or pillows!!

MerylStreep Wed 12-Aug-20 09:15:12

JackyB
You hint that your sewing skills aren't very good. But you have an overlocker. Apologies if I've got that wrong.

Bathsheba Wed 12-Aug-20 09:35:06

How about making lots of drawstring bags in different sizes, to use as gift bags instead of buying wrapping paper - we should all be finding ways to avoid all this single-use stuff. You could add embroidery or appliqué to the bags, or decorate them with fabric pens.

Opal Wed 12-Aug-20 10:27:13

Little Dresses for Africa is a UK charity that asks for dresses to be made from pillowcases, and then sends them to Africa for little girls from poor families. The pattern is so simple, just a hem and a couple of straps, and the charity provides a template on their website. They also ask for Sanipads. Please check out their website for more details.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 20-Aug-20 10:20:53

You could make a rag rug from small scraps if you've the patience - just knotting required, although it needs a canvas base and these can be a bit tricky to get hold of.