Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing machine troubles.

(24 Posts)
wetflannel Fri 14-Aug-20 23:10:36

Hi lovely ladies in my computer,please help. I have a brother sewing machine but I have a problem,why oh why does my needle keep unthreading. I have tried the tension higher and lower, but it keeps happening and it's driving me nuts.angry

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 23:23:17

I'll be interested in the answers as I have a new Brother machine and the same thing keeps happening. It's very annoying.

Lexisgranny Fri 14-Aug-20 23:25:30

I had the same problem earlier this week. Tried the usual things as you did, then removed the bobbin and discovered a rogue piece of thread that had broken off, I also used a brush to dust for lint. I removed it, checked that the needle wasn’t bent bent and carefully pulled a length of thread, longer than I would normally use, through the needle. When I tried again, it worked. It’s ages since I have done any sewing, but needed some masks. I ran through everything I remembered from the time when I was a keen sewer. I have a two year old machine, but had lost the manual to add to my frustration. May be totally wrong abut this advice, but it may be worth a try.

Callistemon Fri 14-Aug-20 23:32:20

I have also broken about five needles despite following the instructions carefully.

My old Singer never had these problems until it gave up not long ago.

Feeling guilty as I recommended the Brother machine to another Gransnetter. It was all right at first for about two months.

Marydoll Fri 14-Aug-20 23:40:53

I had a similar problem with my Janone recently. I stripped it down and discovered a piece of broken (cheap) blush thread inside it.
It also had a fair bit of lint inside it.

I'm hanging my head in shame! However, it's going like a dream now.?

There are a number of help videos on You Tube.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 15-Aug-20 08:28:12

I assume when you start to sew you hold the thread down (bobbin and needle) to avoid the 'bird's nest' mess at the beginning of the seam.

Is the tension to blame? Type of thread compatible with the fabric? That's all I can think of - it must be very annoying.

Stansgran Sat 15-Aug-20 09:12:31

Every seam finished I carry on with a small square of two layers of material and snip off the original seam, then carry on from the scrap material. It saves the birds nest at the beginning. Some people who are serious quilters have two inch squares at the ready and end up using their thread savers as quilts! www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwir0pfp4JzrAhWASBUIHc6cApoQwqsBMAB6BAgKEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F325965847428884%2Fvideos%2F560998154404887%2F&usg=AOvVaw2N5cY67ecV0A-YPdlqgUyH

Stansgran Sat 15-Aug-20 09:13:21

Sorry about the length of the link

craftyone Sat 15-Aug-20 09:18:34

one problem could be that the lower tension is too tight, the space between stitches should be in between top and bottom. Do a sample run and look closely at the stitches. Either the bobbin is not releasing thread freely or the lower tension is too tight. Check the bobbin first, make sure that no thread or fluff is impeding the flow and ensure that you have cleaned and oiled the moving parts around the bobbin race

Next step would be to check that your needle is absolutely vertical and also check that there is no fluff impeding the top flow and that the top reel is turning easily

Stansgran Sat 15-Aug-20 09:22:52

And this is a bit tedious but she’s using a Janome machine so it’s worth ploughing through
youtu.be/XZMw5XtbfQ0

gillybob Sat 15-Aug-20 09:36:00

This is so spooky ! I have been making little curtains and tie backs for my granddaughter and I lost count of how many times I had to re-thread my Brother machine . The top thread just kept working loose and snapping . Like others I tried the tensioning and changing the thread (which was a fairly decent sort) . It was driving me nuts . Off to search YouTube .

Callistemon Sat 15-Aug-20 09:42:24

I spent the first month after buying it doing curtains and muttering a lot under my breath (well, perhaps a little louder!) because the thread kept snapping and I found threading up so difficult compared to my old Singer. You need three hands.

Then I moved on to making masks, more muttering and also snapped needles and now it's back in its case.

Yes, I had the instruction book propped up in front of me. It is too new to have accumulated fluff and the shuttle tension should have been set up properly.
Unfortunately the shop where I bought it has been shut because I would have taken it back for a lesson.

Lexisgranny Sat 15-Aug-20 09:48:56

Stansgranwhat a good tip with squares of cotton. I have literally gone over the years from making tailored jackets to now struggling with masks! My fingers feel like sausages when I sew, and threading the needle is something to be dreaded - a piece broke off the automatic threader at the beginning of lockdown. Haven’t the skill of my grandmother who used to take her machine to bits every year and oil it. I do have a Janome, so thanks for the link.

Ilovecheese Sat 15-Aug-20 10:49:58

You could try using a different size of disc to hold the thread on the spindle, if the disc is too big or too small it can prevent the thread from running smoothly off the spool. You should have two or three different sizes of disc included in the accessories.

wetflannel Sat 15-Aug-20 11:30:15

Thanks for the replies, about to remove bobbin etc and see if there are any stray threads or lint hiding. Another thing with my brother is the bobbin does not sit in a case like my old janone. Going to get hubby to do a mini service of it. With trepidation as machines and husband don't have the best relationship. grin

Marydoll Sat 15-Aug-20 11:51:34

Why don't you the mini service yourself wetflannel? I did, it's not too difficult, but I'm a bit of a geek, so was happy to have a go! ?

Stansgran Sat 15-Aug-20 13:48:11

Mr Tully in Sunderland has just talked me through most of what can go wrong with my Bernina when it was looping underneath but in the end it went in for a service which it hasn’t had for years and I’m back to feeling happy with it. He also suggested some needles called Handicapped as I was using metallic ones for everything because they had a big eye and my eyes aren’t What they should be anymore.

tiredoldwoman Sat 15-Aug-20 15:06:47

I dragged my not much used 40 year old Singer out to hem school trousers . The tension is playing up , I can't get it right at all AND the reel of thread that sits on the top keep pinging off and falling onto the floor !
I'm away to clean and oil it .

tiredoldwoman Sun 16-Aug-20 10:43:24

I did it !! It's running true and silent , all it took was patience, concentration, a wee paintbrush to clean and following rethreading steps on You Tube !
Hurrah , Sewing Bee here I come .

wetflannel Mon 17-Aug-20 21:25:58

Hanging my head in shame, gave my brother machine a good clean. I was shocked at the amount of muck there was. Used the nozzle on my hoover to suck out all the dust, and lint, then went in with a soft toothbrush. Finally gave it a drop of oil and it is now running smoothly. Must confess it's the first time I have ever dismantled bobbin casing and giving it all a clean.

Marydoll Mon 17-Aug-20 21:33:19

That's a few of us hanging our head in shame then! ?

Glad to hear its working. ??

grandtanteJE65 Mon 07-Sep-20 13:22:27

The newer Phaff machines have a nifty gadget that threads the needle, if anyone is thinking of buying a new machine.

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 14:17:05

My new Brither has a self- threading needle too.

I used different thread to do a small amount of sewing the other day and had no problems with unthreading, broken needles or ravelled threads.

The thread I used was quite old, although the same make and on a smaller diameter reel than I used last time (Gütermann's).

It's a mystery.

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 14:17:15

Brother!