Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

altering a neckline.

(14 Posts)
Fennel Sun 30-Aug-20 12:17:10

I agree with3xnanny that shirring elastic will only work with knitted fabric.I've done that with a few tops which have stretched.
Another idea is to make a 'dickey' - a sort of false blouse front.
But that would change the style altogether.

Callistemon Sun 30-Aug-20 10:22:54

I'm glad that others have found White Stuff necklines difficult.

And, in fact, despite the price, some of their goods are not good quality.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 30-Aug-20 08:38:20

I've also added pin tucks in the centre, perhaps 6 in all carefully spaced which seems to work fairly well.

Auntieflo Sun 30-Aug-20 08:31:11

I'm glad that others have found White Stuff necklines difficult.
I thought it was just me.

Recently I altered the neckline of one of their tops, by lifting the shoulder seams, and I have used both the elastic, and the pin tuck ideas,on other clothes.

Txquiltz Sun 30-Aug-20 05:46:16

The pants would probably turn out better if tapered all the way from crotch to hem. The crotch alteration would be minimal, but the actual seam for the alteration would increase as you moved down the leg. By starting at the knee you might easily find you had created a nice pair of jodhpurs!

vegansrock Sun 30-Aug-20 05:32:46

You could use lingerie elastic the one with the slight picot edging around the neckline to bring it in, but again it depends by how much. You could sew a bias channel inside the neckline and thread some 4mm flat elastic through and gather it up till it fits. Sew a small ribbon bow at the centre front and it will look like one of those peasant blouse necklines.

threexnanny Sat 29-Aug-20 19:10:08

I think the shirring elastic idea works well if it is a knitted fabric, but unlikely to look right if it is not - darts are much better.
Don't cut any fabric away on either garment until you have tacked it and tried on.

NotTooOld Sat 29-Aug-20 18:31:58

I've done the pin tuck idea, too. I think it would look better than the shirring elastic. Funny that someone mentioned White Stuff. I had two of their dresses a couple of years ago and found the necklines far too wide so I took pin tucks in the back of the neck. It worked well.

Callistemon Sat 29-Aug-20 10:57:37

I've taken pintucks in tops that have this problem. Three or five at the centre of the neckline.

I've done the same as Illte and did add some very tiny buttons where I pleated the neckline.
I put the pleats each side, off centre so it looks as if that's the design, above the bust line.
In fact, I have another one the same style to do, this thread has prompted me.

Alexa Sat 29-Aug-20 10:16:49

I have a cotton top two sizes too wide, and I put two large darts in the lower third of it to make it a cocoon shape. Very successful.

Elegran Sat 29-Aug-20 10:05:28

Or you could add a dart from the neck to an inch or so above each nipple. Put the top on inside out and pin them so that it fits better, turn it right way in and try it on again to check it looks right, even them up to match one another and sew them.

If you narrow thelower part of trousers, don't take all the extra off at the outsides of the legs, or it'll look odd (like jodhpurs) . Be guided by another pair that are the shape you want.

Illte Sat 29-Aug-20 10:03:42

I've taken pintucks in tops that have this problem. Three or five at the centre of the neckline. White Stuff often have this style.

Ive also lifted tops at the shoulder to bring the neckline up.

It really depends on the style of the original top.

Bathsheba Sat 29-Aug-20 09:37:44

Without seeing the top it's difficult to know what to suggest, but threading shirring elastic sounds a good plan - worth a try and if it doesn't work you can just remove it.

I have tapered trousers in from the knee, using a narrower pair as a guide - don't just eyeball it, as you could end up with them being too tight. If possible, just baste them and then try them on before trimming the excess fabric off. If OK, then stitch, trim and finish the raw edges properly.

travelsafar Sat 29-Aug-20 09:18:57

I have a lovely top which i can't wear as the neckline is too big. I had to get the next size up so i had room for the lower part of my body. Someone said that threading shirring elastic through the neckline would solve the problem. Anyone done this and found it works???

Also i have a lovely pair of cotton summer trousers which are too wide now at the lower part of the leg. Would i ruin them if i just tapered the leg from the knee??? I am trying not to keep replacing clothing which actually has nothing wrong with it and just needs a small alteration. smile