Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Jumpers for chickens!

(16 Posts)
Witzend Sun 01-Nov-20 09:22:12

Another way to use up some of my stash,
I’d never heard of these, but dd and family will be acquiring some (probably) ex battery hens soon, and apparently the poor things often have no feathers, or hardly any, so need something warm until they grow new ones.

Luckily my brother and SiL kept chickens for years, so a v useful source of advice.
Here’s the pic I found courtesy of Mr Google!

FannyCornforth Sun 01-Nov-20 09:25:22

Yes. I know someone who has ex battery hens.
They look awful when you first get them, the poor little thing.
It beggars belief that they still exist - I thought that everyone bought free range now?

Davidhs Sun 01-Nov-20 10:28:58

Some hens are kept in “Enriched” cages but most are kept in open Barns or free range. Most will have reasonable feathers, when you get them the will probably moult and grow a new set, just keep them in a draught free hutch that the fox cannot break into.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 11:16:15

That picture brightened my day, Witzend, whether or not you decide to knit the jumpers.

Witzend Sun 01-Nov-20 11:21:28

I actually have some hen-coloured yarn, too (a sort of russet) - probably enough to make one, anyway.

Dd has just told me that because of lockdown they might not be able to collect the hens in late Nov. as planned, but presumably it’ll happen some time during the cold months anyway, so I might as well get going.

If they end up not needing them, I’ll donate them to the battery hen rescue association, or whatever they call themselves.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 11:45:59

They look like a cross between Cissie and Ada and fat parrots.

grin

Witzend Sun 01-Nov-20 13:10:32

Who are Cissie and Ada?? ?

My bro and SiL used to have chickens called Sharon and Tracey!

FannyCornforth Sun 01-Nov-20 13:25:44

Cossie & Ada were parodies of Northern working class women, played by Les Dawson and Roy Barrowclough.
They would gossip over their garden wall, and there was much hoiking of bosems. smile

Witzend Sun 01-Nov-20 13:54:32

Ha, thanks ? - must have been on during the many years when we were living in Foreign Parts.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 14:38:52

Thanks, FannyC

Witzend check out Cissie and Ada at the doctor's surgery on YouTube.
I can't seem to do a link at the moment.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Nov-20 15:17:22

Love Cissie and Ada. I think I've watched all their sketches.

dinks13 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:27:12

What a beautiful thing to do witzend. Hope your dd gets her hens as soon as possible.

Parsley3 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:37:40

Cissie and Ada, now that brings back memories. My grandmother looked like one of them.

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:56:25

DD2 has just lost her last batch of ex battery hens, the feathers will regrow quite soon though.
However, you will probably get some hens who will pick on the others and try to pull out what few feathers they have left, I’m not sure if a coloured jumper would make this worse?
Plus they might get their claws caught in them, or hooked up on some fencing, I can foresee all kinds of scenarios where the jumper might be a hazard.

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 02-Nov-20 10:59:15

Sorry it sounds in my previous post as though despite losing DDs. chickens to foxes their feathers will regrow. (Duh)

I meant that your battery hens feathers will soon regrow.

And most of the hens are very gentle and friendly.

Although most people , hopefully, buy free range eggs, manufacturers of all kinds of food products go for the cheapest eggs available, sadly these are battery produced eggs. Such a shame,

Witzend Mon 02-Nov-20 12:06:00

Well, apparently the hen welfare trust says no to jumpers, dodgy if they get wet and could catch on something. Just as well I hadn’t started one!

More twiddle muffs, then.