Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Hand sewing masks

(25 Posts)
Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 13:54:54

Is it possible ? I know I could buy them but I’m thinking lockdown boredom....

Westcoaster Tue 03-Nov-20 13:57:19

Yes, I found an easy free pattern online to make ours. I'm sure it was by Burda and came in a few sizes from kids to adults. Had to make it even larger for DH right enough to cover his nose and chin!!! grin

chelseababy Tue 03-Nov-20 14:52:54

The WI have a free shaped pattern online. You can print off the instructions and template.

Hithere Tue 03-Nov-20 14:55:20

The pattern of the plate is the best.
Get a plate - 8 inch circumference for kids, 9 inch for older kids, 10 or 11 for adults...

The fit is great

Ramblingrose22 Tue 03-Nov-20 15:01:34

Does anyone know where to get flexible nose-wires to insert in the top of the mask? It would be easy to do if making them yourself.

This would stop people having their glasses steam up.

Lexisgranny Tue 03-Nov-20 15:02:33

Amazon did have them

Septimia Tue 03-Nov-20 15:17:59

I've been making hand sewn facemasks for a while. The first ones didn't have nosepieces but I subsequently found a source of them on Amazon.

Mine are rectangular, the size varying for adults and children. the adult ones are, I think, 6inches by 9inches (Imade a template, so have forgotten!). They're 3 layers - cotton, vilene interfacing, cotton - sewn inside out with a gap to turn them through the right way, elastic sewn in place between the layers. Then I turn them through and stitch round the outside again. The family seem to like them and I've sold a few in aid of our church.

shysal Tue 03-Nov-20 16:47:56

There are lots of nose wires for masks on Ebay. I found the wider aluminium ones the best. The ones I used have a self adhesive backing, but I left the protective film on and they were fine, withstanding lots of washes. Some of the cheaper ones have actual wire which can poke through so need the ends bent over before inserting.
I have just made a batch of masks in Christmas fabrics for charity.

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 22:32:40

Shysal are those hand sewn?

Blossoming Tue 03-Nov-20 22:47:55

I’ve hand sewn a few, just got some Christmas themed fat quarters to do a few more ?

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 22:50:37

Fat quarters ??

Blossoming Tue 03-Nov-20 22:57:15

Fat quarters are bundles of close weave cotton squares sold for making patchwork, You can buy them at any craft store or places like Etsy. They’re about 18 inches square so ideal size to make a couple of masks.

Blossoming Tue 03-Nov-20 22:58:21

Patchwork quilts, that should say!

Lavazza1st Tue 03-Nov-20 23:05:44

Yes and theres great fabric at Spoonflower and a half price fat quarter sale that I took advantage of. I used a pattern that I bought on Etsy ( a fitted facemask) and elastic from Hobbycraft.

Ive never bought a facemask and sew them for all my family. I dont enjoy it but I do it so they are safe and also its nice to have cool fabrics that they love.

Lavazza1st Tue 03-Nov-20 23:17:14

If you don't want to buy a pattern, this looks good www.madebybarb.com/2020/03/25/diy-fitted-face-mask/

My friends love facemasks from Redbubble and I've seen some amazing designs. I've been tempted a few times and may give in as I like the festive ones and am bored of sewing now

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 01:39:09

Lavazza1st

If you don't want to buy a pattern, this looks good www.madebybarb.com/2020/03/25/diy-fitted-face-mask/

My friends love facemasks from Redbubble and I've seen some amazing designs. I've been tempted a few times and may give in as I like the festive ones and am bored of sewing now

Nice pattern but it does require a seeing machine!

shysal Wed 04-Nov-20 09:38:52

Lucca, I used a sewing machine, but hand sewing is perfectly doable. I use 8 inch squares of fabric X 3, joined top and bottom on wrong side, turned and a 1/4 in channel sewn along top for the wire, then pleated to approc 3 inches depth. Lastly I use a piece of fabric 2 x 4 to bind each raw edge, forming a channel for the elastic, which I knot and pull through to hide.
Here is a close-up of one. I use expensive (in this case Liberty) fabric for the front and cheaper plain fine cotton for the two inner layers.

Tweedle24 Wed 04-Nov-20 09:46:12

I have made lots, in different designs, but used a sewing machine. I knew WHO recommends three layers but now Patient Access does too. I had an email about it this morning, You can use a very lightweight iron on interlining for the third layer.
Lots of Youtube instructions online

PamelaJ1 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:12:03

Ramblingrose22

Does anyone know where to get flexible nose-wires to insert in the top of the mask? It would be easy to do if making them yourself.

This would stop people having their glasses steam up.

I have to use medical grade disposal masks at work.
I’ve cut the pocket with the wire in and sewn them to my fabric masks. (Keeping them in the pocket) they seem to withstand washing

rockgran Wed 04-Nov-20 10:46:38

I've made dozens for family, friends and charity. Lots of different ideas on youtube. I use a pipe cleaner for the wire. Perfectly washable.

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 10:52:06

@Lucca to be honest I wouldnt trust hand sewing.... Sorry. Unless your stitches are amazing, mine arent.

Another tip is use florist ribbon for the nose wires...

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 10:54:50

I also carry a zipper pouch so I can put used masks in when I'm out and also have clean masks in a different zippered pouch. I have different prints and it makes a horrible thing seem a bit nicer. It almost feels special to have special zippered pouches in pretty prints. I like cherry blossom fabric and also snowflakes as I'm getting festive soon. I cheated and bought some zipper pouches at Redbubble when they had a sale.

Rosiebee Thu 05-Nov-20 14:23:05

Hobbycraft do a couple of free patterns online. I've used the shaped one and made lots for family and friends. I transferred the diagram to a piece of flexible plastic, cut it out and drew round it onto the fabric. Very simple designs but very effective. Also bought the elastic from Dunhelm in their Haberdashery Dept when everywhere else had run out. Off now to cut out some more shapes.

Alima Thu 05-Nov-20 14:42:22

I hand sew all mine, CBA to get the machine out. I second the mask made by using a dinner plate as a template. Seems to fit much better than the hammock style.

Lucca Thu 05-Nov-20 15:05:14

Shysal thank you