Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitted Gift

(4 Posts)
ALT57 Fri 06-Nov-20 10:47:27

Thanks both, I do always put knitted garments into plastic bags. I have read if you put into freezer for a little while this will kill any germs.

I think because it is for a baby more caution is needed.

Farmor15 Fri 06-Nov-20 10:08:58

From what I have read, the virus doesn't survive long on fabric/wool, so it should be perfectly safe. If you wrap up and keep for a few days before sending, it would add extra safety.

There's a very interesting article about how Covid actually spreads, with excellent graphics here:
english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html

If you don't want to read it, this is the relevant extract:
..contaminated surfaces (fomites), although the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates that this is the least likely way to catch the virus, a conclusion backed by the European Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (ECDC) observation that not a single case of fomite-caused Covid-19 has been observed

Although early in the pandemic, it was thought that contaminated items could transmit the infection, current evidence is that this is very unlikely and airborne transmission is the main route.

Calendargirl Fri 06-Nov-20 10:05:20

If you put it in a clear plastic bag before wrapping it, the new mum can put it to one side for a few days and it will be fine. She can see what it looks like.
I wouldn’t worry at all.

ALT57 Fri 06-Nov-20 08:14:06

I would love to send a knitted (my knitting) gift to someone but feel worried about covid (I dont have covid or symptoms) it is for a baby

Advice very welcome
Thanks