Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What do you do with all the lovely things that you make?

(124 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 15-Nov-20 15:16:47

Well I am presuming they are lovely!
The time spent making them can’t equate to the price that they could be sold for and not all of you want to have a stall at a craft fair. There must be a limit to how many cushions, tapestries ect. that you and your families want.
I’m asking as I’m expecting another * from my sister for Christmas. I want to shout “it’s just fabulous but I don’t want another one”!
The things she makes are really lovely, thank goodness, and I feel very ungrateful but I can’t help it.

Witzend Mon 16-Nov-20 18:38:57

Last year I made this Advent Calendar for little Gdcs - it’s huge, needs to hang on a door. I didn’t start it until mid September so was frantically knitting to have it ready for 1st December.

It’s an Alan Dart pattern by Sirdar, if anyone wants to know, and not difficult - just needs an awful lot of time!

Happysexagenarian Mon 16-Nov-20 18:14:26

Ooh what a clever lot you are! Some lovely work here.
I enjoy doing a variety of crafts but this year I've been making quilts for the youngest grandchildren. Just finished the last one. Also 'posh' Christmas stockings and quilted advent calendars which a friend is selling for me in her shop. Next Spring I may make a few cot quilts to sell as I think there could be a 'baby boom' next year! At the moment I'm making a Bucilla Christmas stocking for youngest grandson. When I've finished that I'll make my Christmas cards. It all keeps me occupied and out of mischief.

watermeadow Mon 16-Nov-20 18:10:30

Mats! Not meats!

watermeadow Mon 16-Nov-20 18:09:56

I make patchwork quilts entirely by hand. They take between one and two years each so would cost a fortune to buy.
I thought they were too old-fashioned for younger people to want so was delighted
when eldest daughter said she would love one. Her home is full of very expensive designer stuff.
I only make useful things, so don’t want an embroidered picture on every wall and lace meats on every surface.

Witzend Mon 16-Nov-20 18:04:07

@StephLP, I’ve used the patterns in Jean Greenhowe’s Christmas Special booklet, though the donkey is in her Christmas Treasures ditto.
They’re all quite easy to knit, no advanced skills needed, though obviously time consuming. As with all JG patterns, if you follow the meticulously detailed instructions exactly, they turn out very well.
Here’s a pic of my last set - the main figures are about 20 cm tall.

BusterTank Mon 16-Nov-20 17:48:17

I give them away either to charity or someone else who made need .

kathyd Mon 16-Nov-20 17:35:03

chattykathy

I forgot Ice Yarns Postage is high but if you work out the cost per skein it is still very good value.

kathyd Mon 16-Nov-20 17:32:13

chattykathy for yarn my go to online places are

Woolwarehouse
www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/yarn?brand_nav=42172&yarn_grouping=22788

Purple sheep
www.purplesheepyarns.co.uk/

Drops (fantastic free patterns here too)
www.garnstudio.com/yarns.php?cid=19

Woolwarehouse and Purple Sheep are outlets for Drops yarns and often have brilliant sales.

songstress60 Mon 16-Nov-20 17:19:34

I used to do crafts and I gave them to my workplace to auction for charity, and I have also drawn and painted. My paintings are on my walls in my house.

Blossoming Mon 16-Nov-20 17:08:01

biba70 Melting scrap into something usable isn’t simple if you’re a complete beginner. You’d need equipment and chemicals. There are quite a few YouTube videos, including this one below. Could you turn them into charms for bracelets or necklaces?

youtu.be/HOk3LnPDptg

Niamh5 Mon 16-Nov-20 16:46:46

Wonder if any of you would like to help us- estranged grandparents. We are hoping to make a quilt and just need squares with anything suitable i.e. broken hearts, forget me knots , broken ties etc. Have plenty of ideas, if anyone is interested please e-mail me for sizes etc.

knspol Mon 16-Nov-20 16:42:16

Really beautiful quilt Vegansrock.

Mistymoocake Mon 16-Nov-20 16:40:56

It was the first year I was going to have enough for a sale obviously never materialised. At the moment I am making
60 5d Crystal painting christmas cards. Mainly craft for weddings and new babies.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 16-Nov-20 16:38:35

If its food, no problem we eat it.

Newatthis Mon 16-Nov-20 16:30:22

I'm moving house (downsizing) and have accumulated so many things I have made over the years that have taken numerous hours to make. I think these days homemade items, as beautiful as they are, are not that popular anymore sadly - of course depending on what they are. I have donated those that I no longer want to charity in the hope that they will bring not only some money for the charity but some happiness to someone else.

PipandFinn Mon 16-Nov-20 15:30:32

I make my own facial serums/ cleansers/moisturiser etc with beautiful organic and natural ingredients and my daughter loves them and won't use anything else... I love seeing her face light up when I present her with a beautiful jar or spray......

CBBL Mon 16-Nov-20 15:09:13

I used to do lots of knitting, and made things for the children of my siblings, when they were small. Sadly, my mother was not very good at knitting, but would make garments and toys that the family genuinely didn't want (and I couldn't blame them!). I wouldn't want to be compared with her (despite a personal belief that "my" things are better) - so wouldn't offer them to anyone as gifts. I do wear my own creations though!

olliebeak Mon 16-Nov-20 14:25:26

I knit and crochet baby clothes.
Sometimes I make to order.
Other times, I make to donate to a 'Baby Basics' provision at the local Food Bank.
Other times, I make for selling at the charity shop that I volunteer in.

I've also made 'Twiddle Muffs' for the local Hospital - to help keep patients with dementia settled and content.

Chardy Mon 16-Nov-20 14:03:38

If you enjoy making baby blankets or quilts, there are over 100 baby banks who support families with little ones. All other baby crafted goods too are gratefully accepted.

To find one near you
www.goodtoknow.co.uk/family/where-to-find-your-local-baby-bank-458436

rocketstop Mon 16-Nov-20 14:01:05

What a lovely thread, you're all so talented, and all describing your makes, made me want to see and buy, it felt like I'd been around a Christmas craft fayre which I will miss doing this year ! I make decorated boxes from jewellery ones up to sort of biscuit tin size !

JaneRn Mon 16-Nov-20 13:40:56

I am full of admiration for the things you are all making, but however beautiful I would not want any decorative items. Every time I see a craft stall I think that those are the sort of things I am trying to get rid of! It is so easy to get your house cluttered with all sorts of knick-knacks which you would never have chosen but which have been given as presents and I certainly wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings although friends and family know my likes and dislikes. I donate unwanted items to charity shops who seem able to get rid of them.

I do a lot of sewing, usually curtains - since lockdown I have replaced nearly all throughout the house - plus cushions and dressmaking. The problem is that I shall soon have emptied my store cupboard. Any suggestions as to the best place to buy fabric on-line?

Vintagegirl Mon 16-Nov-20 13:16:17

Someone asked about where to source reasonably priced yarn.... Aldi and other discount shops are good but you need to keep an eye out as not regular stock.

polly123 Mon 16-Nov-20 13:15:35

I love making jewellery and painting so I have a couple of online shops where I sell them. I am always delighted when people are happy with their purchases. It gives me a lot of pleasure to know that my paintings are framed and appreciated by people.

grannybuy Mon 16-Nov-20 13:14:40

In the last few months I've knitted scarves to try out some cotton lace yarn, I've also made cardigans for 7 year old GD, and also crocheted amigurumi dolls for her and her friends. Each of the dolls, despite being small, took a number of hours.

Vintagegirl Mon 16-Nov-20 13:11:36

Some lovely ideas here.... am looking for inspiration. I make christmas/greeting cards the past few years. The designs vary and usually one is a 'stand out' so I take a photo and keep that. I have done some small knitting items but in covid times our local maternity hospital cant manage any more. I have done load of facemasks and now have some new fabric (online!) and will do some Christmas specials.

I have made soap with few added in extra ingredients (coconut oil/ essential oils) but am managing to get thru same myself as prefer a bar of soap. Also have made marmalade the way I like it using a tin of oranges. It seems to be used up too!