Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Stranded knitting.

(4 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 04-Dec-20 14:26:27

I recently came across this, possibly on a knitting site on facebook and it looks wonderful, similar to fairisle knitting i believe. Its brilliant for striped jumpers. Once i have cleared some of my knitting projects i have promised my self to have a go.

LadyGracie Fri 04-Dec-20 15:09:05

Something I’ve never been able to master. Good luck and I hope you’ll let us see some of your endeavours.

Mogsmaw Fri 04-Dec-20 15:31:12

Stranded knitting is knitting with more than one colour in a row and carrying the unused yarn across the work, usually the back. Fairisle is a particular type of stranded knitting but people often call all stranded work fairisle.
It’s technically no harder to knit with multiple colours than with one, the trick is in getting the length of the strands right.
Give it a go, practised makes perfect and there are loads of tutorials on YouTube etc.
If I can give you tip I have learned over the years, traditional fairisle is knitted with all wool “Shetland” type yarn and it’s very forgiving on tension issues. I knitted a tam with 13 colours and it looked ok, but when I dressed it over a plate as directed it is beautiful flat and even. Clearly knitted by someone much better than me!

Witzend Mon 07-Dec-20 16:22:09

I did my first little bits of stranded knitting last year - 24 pockets of a huge Advent calendar with all the numbers knitted in. TBH I’d thought that anything like that would be beyond me, but once I’d transferred the charts - row by row, very laborious! - to a sheet of paper, saying, 3 red 8 gold, 3 red, etc., it worked fine - much to my surprise!