Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

DH has bought me a sewing machine for Christmas but I’m stuck

(24 Posts)
Kim19 Tue 12-Jan-21 18:25:42

Thank you all for YouTube suggestions. I have similar problems of ignorance and frustration but, in my case, with new iPad and 'smart' TV. Blimey!

Awelin Tue 12-Jan-21 18:19:59

Watch Yoytube

Calendargirl Tue 12-Jan-21 17:50:43

I did three agonising years of needlework at grammar school until, happy days, I was able to give the wretched subject up.

Don’t think I ever mastered the art of threading the machine, and as for actually making any sort of wearable garment......

???? If Only!

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-21 17:33:28

Another one to recommend YouTube, there will be seven fils to choose from for every problem, so if one isn't helpful, another one will be.

Find an online course on 'You and your sewing machine.' and similar. I often do classes, online and onsite at my local Craft School.

Urmstongran Tue 12-Jan-21 17:16:46

I can’t sew for toffee so I feel nervous for you!
Good luck.
?

Patsy70 Tue 12-Jan-21 17:11:52

How are you getting on with your sewing machine Cornishgreenhouse?

Susie42 Wed 30-Dec-20 16:29:37

I would suggest having a look at The Stitch Sisters website as they have some very good on line courses including a beginners class. You download these so you have them for reference permanently.

Also check the website for your particular machine as these are usually very helpful.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 19:33:26

Sewn for 60 years

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 19:33:09

I have seen for 60 years but recently bought a new machine.

I found it very difficult to thread and have spent a lot of time with the manual going through it step by step (several times).
I prefer written instructions to the pictures they give you now.

It took time and perseverance but I think I got there in the end. It's still not as easy as my old Singer.

I would try something out with cheap fabric or even old fabric from unwanted clothes first and practice.

Where did your DH buy it? Do they do online lessons?

fevertree Tue 29-Dec-20 19:00:45

There are also many blogs that include tutorials:

mellysews.com/learn-sew-free-online-course/

vegansrock Tue 29-Dec-20 18:58:15

Yes practice is the key , try straight stitching - maybe make a cushion or bag using Youtube. Don’t venture into garments until you have got the basics.

fevertree Tue 29-Dec-20 18:56:16

That should read ... sew a little bit, and I have joined...

hugshelp Tue 29-Dec-20 18:55:37

This might help

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD_KpZm7OaM&ab_channel=coolirpa

fevertree Tue 29-Dec-20 18:55:18

Hi Cornish - I could sew a little bit have I joined a Zoom sewing class during lockdown and I have surprised myself at the items I have turned out. Now there is no stopping me. Is there perhaps a sewing teacher in your area that would give you a few online lessons?

Good luck with your sewing.

Fernbergien Tue 29-Dec-20 18:54:39

Saw a simple child’s dress pattern on u-tube. Top was a t-shirt and material was sewn on to make skirt.

Elegran Tue 29-Dec-20 18:47:25

Threading it up seems complicated at first, but once you have done it a few times, you'll think nothing of it. If DH is "handy" with machinery, enlist his aid the first time round (but not if he is all thumbs with technology!)

When you think you have mastered threading up, get a scrap of material (an old pillow-slip?) and practice some straight rows of stitching, trying out the different stitches, tensions and so on. You will be sewing on two layers of fabric for your pinafore, so use double material.

My memory of starting out with a sewing machine is that the biggest hazard was that when I started to sew, the thread always leapt out of the needle with the first stitch and I had to rethread it. One machine I had would then tangle the end of the threads and refuse to do any more until that was sorted out - so make sure you leave at least 6 inch tails of top thread and under thread, tidied to the back out of the way of the stitching.

J52 Tue 29-Dec-20 18:32:32

Good advice from above posts. Great fun to have a sewing machine and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
I’d start practicing on some scraps, sewing straight lines and doing different stitches, if your machine has them.
How about making something simple like a face mask as a start.

MrsJamJam Tue 29-Dec-20 18:22:28

Definitely YouTube - it seems one can find the answer to almost anything! But when a class becomes possible do consider it. I learnt such a lot about what my machine can do.

Marydoll Tue 29-Dec-20 18:19:17

If you open You Tube and type in the model number of your machine, lots of videos should come up.
I broke the needle threader on mine and was told it couldn't be repaired. I went on You Tube, learned how to fix it and bought the spare part online for a few pounds.

Nannytopsy Tue 29-Dec-20 18:16:48

Use some scraps of fabric to practise and get used to it, before you start on your garment?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 18:11:12

Snap!!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Dec-20 18:10:56

Try you tube. I bet there is all sorts of stuff on there that tells you everything you need to know.

Genty Tue 29-Dec-20 18:10:48

Have a look on youtube theres bound to be a video to help you through the first steps.

Cornishgreenhouse Tue 29-Dec-20 18:07:19

DH has bought me a sewing machine for Christmas as a surprise. I’ve always wanted to sew little clothes for the grandchildren, but haven’t a clue how to begin. Even looking at the manual on how to thread the machine it all seems so complicated!
I would love to go to classes to learn but am self isolating so not possible at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas of what or how to start? I have bought a very simple pinafore pattern, but feel anxious as to making a start.
Any advice gratefully received ?