Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Vulva Sculpture

(56 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 05-Jan-21 11:58:51

What do we think?

news.artnet.com/art-world/right-wing-brazilians-mad-vulva-sculpture-1934737?fbclid=IwAR3eti2x-_6FjKjfxFTtivHeYMLX5orhgXLPRTUGlslTEX2rVE42t6lqKRU#.X_RFcd0bu3c.facebook

nadateturbe Tue 05-Jan-21 14:53:12

EllanVannin

Not right in the head.

grin

I despair too that anyone would call this art. But tbh I wouldn't have known what it was. hmm

BlueBelle Tue 05-Jan-21 14:56:03

Needs some Savlon

Puzzler61 Tue 05-Jan-21 15:03:00

It’s an eyesore, is my view. Belongs in an art institute.
I’d rather it was a bright red poppy.

henetha Tue 05-Jan-21 15:05:43

It's probably very itchy....
Yuk!

Greyduster Tue 05-Jan-21 15:16:02

Self portrait do you think? It won’t weather well!?

hollysteers Tue 05-Jan-21 15:16:30

I really like contemporary art, but that makes me feel a bit squeamish.
Also “open sore” is a horrible way to describe this part of our body.
As many artists look for the shock of the new, in that sense she has succeeded up to a point, but plonking vaginas around the place is nothing new.

GagaJo Tue 05-Jan-21 15:17:31

BlueBelle

Needs some Savlon

I agree. Think she needs to sit on a rubber ring!

Tangerine Tue 05-Jan-21 15:38:41

I don't think much of it. It's just attention-seeking.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 05-Jan-21 16:07:42

It’s not a vagina it’s a vulva. I like contemporary art because it challenges, and this certainly has the desired effect by the comments on here grin

Callistemon Tue 05-Jan-21 16:08:38

Blimey if mine was that colour I d be at the doctors

Bluebelle grin
It's not easy to see, though, unless you're a contortionist!

hollysteers Tue 05-Jan-21 16:11:26

The vulva is the exterior of the vagina Greeneyedgirl and this shows us the interior whether we wish it or not.

blondenana Tue 05-Jan-21 16:26:07

Horrible,i saw a programme on tv a few months ago where a woman was taking photos of womens vulvas for art, to show how different some were from others
It is displayed somewhere in an art gallery I think, all done in plaster,
I don't know why anyone would want someone taking photos of theirs blush

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Jan-21 16:27:20

... at least it's described as a vulva and not a vagina.

Elegran Tue 05-Jan-21 16:37:06

If that is a self-portrait, what has she been doing with hers?

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jan-21 16:46:39

It's a funny old world.
Warnings have been suggested before watching 'Grease', but go out for some healthy outdoor pursuits and find yourself looking at a giant fanny.

Nortsat Tue 05-Jan-21 17:05:38

It doesn’t appeal to me, I find it rather ugly.

I don’t like the colour, which could have many connotations. I don’t think it adds anything to the landscape.
I don’t like the image of openness /availability.

Septimia Tue 05-Jan-21 19:09:59

And what do you say when the children ask you what it is???

GagaJo Tue 05-Jan-21 19:15:53

Hahaha, MissAdventure.

Septimia, 'It's a flower!'

Callistemon Tue 05-Jan-21 20:00:36

MissAdventure

It's a funny old world.
Warnings have been suggested before watching 'Grease', but go out for some healthy outdoor pursuits and find yourself looking at a giant fanny.

Oh goodness, I knew I should have stuck to Dry January, I just spluttered wine all over me!!

grin

lemongrove Tue 05-Jan-21 20:08:55

Septimia

Blot on the landscape. Not environmentally friendly (that shape, won't it increase water run-off and erosion?). Not attractive. Can't think of any justification except for being controversial.

Plant some trees/flowers instead.

My feelings too.
Glad it was explained what it represented as just looking at the pic it reminded me of the aftermath of an volcano eruption.Strange bright colour.
Artists are often pushing the boundaries and a controversial bit of art gets them noticed.I can’t say it bothers me, and nobody has to go and look at it.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 05-Jan-21 20:12:14

I don’t see anything wrong in telling children what it is. Why are we so squeamish about women’s bodies I wonder?

Grannynannywanny Tue 05-Jan-21 20:19:46

In case anyone doesn’t notice it maybe they should have a sign saying This Way to Fanny Hill

Elegran Tue 05-Jan-21 22:33:48

If you were living in Edinburgh in the sixties, you would have seen that the area of sloping grass in front of the divinity college above the road up the Mound (which goes from Princes Street up to the Royal Mile) was at that time unfenced, and was very popular with students of all subjects as a place to sit around in the sun in summer, facing downhill to Princes Street. The fashion then was for mini-skirts, which caused those walking up the Mound to call that slope "Fanny Hill". No red plastic, though.

nadateturbe Tue 05-Jan-21 23:09:03

In case anyone doesn’t notice it maybe they should have a sign saying This Way to Fanny Hill

Very good grannynannywanny

Notinthemanual Wed 06-Jan-21 14:13:23

Greyduster My first thought was that it wouldn't weather well, too. Next was, who would get the job of cleaning it? Then, what sort of animals might make it their home?

Her placing was clever. She gets two 'showings' - on the hill and the reflection in the water.