Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you interested in right now?

(100 Posts)
JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 14-Jan-21 06:43:29

May I ask you what your hobby is? I find myself being interested in different things, but I lose interest after several months of being into something, so I go through hobbies rather quickly. Right now I'm interested in photo montage learning and also got a book on coding (the one for beginners, of course, it just seems interesting to me to try). What are your current hobby or are you more stable and been doing something for a long time already?

Sarnia Tue 19-Jan-21 10:21:40

Researching more family history. I have been doing this for some years now. I put it all aside for a few months then have another burst of activity. I keep promising myself to learn cross stitch but I haven't got around to it yet. Home schooling takes up much of my day at the moment!

Witzend Tue 19-Jan-21 10:16:42

@Lupin, what you said about being unable to memorise pieces really resonated with me.

I took up the piano again after retiring - so quite a while ago now. I’d only ever passed grade 2 at about 10, so it was almost a case of starting again from scratch.
But I well remember memorising my exam pieces without even trying!

I’m now about G5 level and have set myself to master a Schumann piece I love, but oh, dear - I can practise the same few bars - slowly, as you’re supposed to - over and over and over, in the hope of remembering them, but it’s exceedingly hard going!
Press on though....

fevertree Sun 17-Jan-21 22:49:22

That's lovely, Rendella, so soft.

Rendella Sun 17-Jan-21 22:32:40

Watercolour painting is my favourite hobby. I like painting flowers particularly. Here is one of my recent efforts.

SuzannahM Sun 17-Jan-21 17:42:37

I've been printing off black & white family photos from my family history to make a black & white gallery going up the stairs. I bought a selection of cheap black frames some time ago in different sizes. The photos have names and dates printed on the bottom and now so it's just fitting them into the right size frames.

Cymres1 Sun 17-Jan-21 15:59:43

By the way, thank you for the heads up on Twiddle Muff patterns, I will share with my WI Whatsappers Group. Some crackin' crafters among them, needle-demons!

Cymres1 Sun 17-Jan-21 15:57:06

Like an earlier poster I do like my garden but the cold and, even more, the damp is off-putting. My long term hobby is handspinning, and I have too many wheels, and stashes of fleece and fibre, but they are lovely. I haven't done nearly enough lately, despite the online Zoom chat with our great Spinners, Weavers and Dyers Guild gang, because I have discovered an addiction to crime novels on Kindle. Never got into these before but now I confess I'm hooked. Strongly recommend Angela Marsons, Denzil Meyrick and Andrea Carter. Will have to try more audio books so I can spin and indulge police enquiries simultaneously - the only obvious solution.

KerryS Sun 17-Jan-21 13:34:56

Summer1 - I use Global Penfriends. Joined in 2020, and have penfriends in Canada, France, Germany, Australia and two in England. I've looked at a couple of other sites, but I find this one very good. You can message each other via the site, before you decide to pass on your email address, then you can exchange postal addresses. And it's free! I hope you enjoy penpalling - it's lovely to hear a letter from a friend dropping onto your doormat!

Witzend Sun 17-Jan-21 11:50:33

Talking of knitted vegetables, I’m reminded of a friend of a dd many years ago, who had to knit a basket of fruit and vegetables* for her GCSE Home Economics, or whatever they called it.

As the deadline was looming, then, there was a plaintive request relayed by dd - ‘Could your mum please knit me a lemon, because my mum can’t knit!’ ?

*One of which was a cauliflower - I was seriously impressed, since my sole effort to teach dd (at her request) had ended in furious frustration after barely half an hour - she’s never picked up a knitting needle since.

Cid24 Sun 17-Jan-21 08:40:02

I play my ukulele daily - it’s joyous and very calming to me. I also am a Lino cutter and printer and enjoy cross stitch too. I’ve done all these hobbies for some years now.

Jillybird Sun 17-Jan-21 02:09:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dinahlee Sat 16-Jan-21 23:16:18

I love all your photos of your makes I love knitting, machine dressmaking Diy too and generally re purposing things (big pile ready?) I’m doing a fund raiser for pancreatic cancer and another for abused family’s clearing out & selling on Ebay is another hobby of mine and I’ve just started up as a consultant for lovely skin care company & will be doing zoom pamper classes, its summing up the enthusiasm that I struggle with some days. My OH is still working in construction so sees other people I only see people on my walks but dont speak to anyone or I may glimpse a neighbour if I put rubbish out. Oh to be free! When will that be Xxx

Lupin Sat 16-Jan-21 19:36:20

I love playing my piano. I have a digital piano and headphones so no -one else is forced to listen. I was having lessons but various events have stopped that for the time being so I'm carrying on where we left off. I am a grade 6 to 7 and need to practice a lot. Once upon a time I could remember the pieces and could eventually play without the music, but find I can't do that now.
The other thing I am doing is to write down the memories I have of each grandchild - three boys - from when I first met them as babies, through how we played together, what they liked doing and some of the hysterical things they have said.
I will keep these memoirs with my things with a letter to say that they are not meant to cause cringing embarrassment but were written with love and affection for each boy to keep their childhoods in bright memory.
I am also a journal keeper in a page a day journal. Sometimes a page isn't enough and in these days of lockdown (apart from Trump, British and American elections, Boris and Brexit ) a page is too much.

Sheilasue Sat 16-Jan-21 19:02:12

never really had any hobbies like to embroider but it’s getting harder to find what I like to do, so I am having a break. I am reading, and finding new recipes.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 16-Jan-21 18:01:59

Thankyou Rocketstop, I may dig my felting kit out ?

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 17:42:44

They're such a good idea.
They really are relaxing.

Glad you're on the mend now. thanks

Skweek1 Sat 16-Jan-21 17:26:51

I spend several weeks in hospital before Christmas and one lady on the same ward had a twiddle muff made by her family. I'd never seen one, but all the other patients were admiring it. What a good idea - might try making a few myself!

Tickledpink Sat 16-Jan-21 17:15:07

I took up knitting 3 years ago and love it. I have art materials in the loft, (might go back to it one day) and a beginners crochet book to get my head round.

wetflannel Sat 16-Jan-21 15:30:15

I am currently knitting a sweater for OH, I also like crochet, quilting and card making. Have just started diamond art, it is very relaxing. I used to read a lot, not so much anymore. Like to pass the time doing arrow word and cross word books.

Unigran4 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:11:48

lovebeigecardigans1955 have PMd you.

Whiff Sat 16-Jan-21 14:49:20

Never used a tin of marmalade always use the fresh fruit, granulated sugar and water. And of course time.

Mistymoocake Sat 16-Jan-21 14:47:16

Notgoneyet All crafters have a few finish latter projects I have a last supper tapestry it's huge brought while still at school. Its in my finish when retired basket in 6 years

notgoneyet Sat 16-Jan-21 14:32:31

Wow I'm in absolute AWE of the amazing talents so many of you ladies have. I get really enthusiastic as starting something new but am very bad at actually finishing anything!

Mistymoocake Sat 16-Jan-21 14:26:46

I love all crafts but flit in and out of them as the fancy takes me although I have never got to grips with the sewing machine just straight lines is about what I have mastered
I made a double blanked in 6in crochet squares last year year
and all my Christmas cards were 5d crystal painting and I have just finished all my birthday cards for the year all written with the date in the corner for posting

Joesoap Sat 16-Jan-21 14:22:05

Please can you tell me what Swedish blankets are please I have lived in Sweden for fifty years and never heard of them!