Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Blinds to stop light from open velux

(9 Posts)
WW010 Sun 14-Feb-21 14:24:27

minimoon like that idea! ???

MiniMoon Sun 14-Feb-21 12:43:13

That's a problem in the summer time. I too have the inset blinds, but the light pours in if the windows are open.
I have an eye mask hanging on the headboard for light warm mornings.
I never have found any other solution.

WW010 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:21:57

Found this. Think it’s a solution. ?.

WW010 Sun 14-Feb-21 10:32:13

Katie - thanks for the thought. we have concertina blinds attached to the frame which are fine with the window closed. But when the window is open the blind ‘opens’ with it thereby allowing light through top and bottom. The sun comes up facing our room and it cuts right through in summer. I need something to go across the reveal really (I Think?). So the window can open but the light is still blocked??

Thoro Sun 14-Feb-21 10:29:25

I’ve got ‘perfect fit’ blinds in my conservatory and kitchen door. They fit in a frame (purpose made) and would be perfect for a velux window.

Katie59 Sun 14-Feb-21 10:26:56

You can get folding concertina type blinds for conservatory roofs or even roller blinds fixed to the frame.

WW010 Sun 14-Feb-21 10:22:51

Thanks NellG. That’s something I hadn’t thought about! ?

NellG Sun 14-Feb-21 10:06:43

I have Venetian blinds with edges that are concealed in a frame. They attach to the window but I wonder if you got a bigger frame and attached it to the wall around the Velux it might work? I imagine you could use the same principle with the pleated type blind too. Curtains are possible, but would 'bag' a bit I think.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is a screen to stand in front of the window.

WW010 Sun 14-Feb-21 09:46:41

Hi. Does anyone have a good solution for blinds or even curtains that will allow us to open velux at night in our bedroom, but keep the early dawn light out. It’s particularly bad in summer when the light cuts through at 5am! We have blinds on the actual windows but of course when the window is open that doesn’t work?? They are at 45 degrees slant to the roof. I’ve wondered about curtains which fix somehow at the bottom ????