Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Finishing off linen seams

(14 Posts)
Irisheyes Mon 29-Mar-21 13:51:06

I have piece of linen and plan to make a shift dress. Ive already washed it and plan to make up a muslin first. My problem is how to finish off the seams as i don’t have an over locker. Ive discounted flat seams as rather bulky in places. Any ideas?

B9exchange Mon 29-Mar-21 13:56:55

I would use just an ordinary zigzag?

PippaZ Mon 29-Mar-21 15:49:10

I think linen is so lovely I would want to do run an fell seam or more likely a French seam. It would give you an heirloom finish.

Blossoming Mon 29-Mar-21 15:55:22

A French seam might be bulky, I’d fell them.

PippaZ Tue 30-Mar-21 10:51:07

That was my thinking too Blossoming and why I suggested both/either. It's also worth thinking about how they will look on the finished garment. A French seam will "look" like an ordinary seam and would be fine in some areas where there is no bulk, but a felled seam can add something to the look of the dress which you may or may not want in that place on the garment.

Aldom Tue 30-Mar-21 11:59:40

Would there be enough fabric to spare so that you can do a variety trial seams before actually making up the garment.

EilaRose Sat 03-Apr-21 10:20:50

Do you know anyone who owns an overlocker and could finish the seams for you? maybe look in Gumtree or Facebook for someone in your area who does alterations and they might finish the seams? Lastly, ask your local dealer if you could hire an overlocker?

Imho, fell or french seams will add to much bulk and could be uncomfortable in some places. A zigzag finish would be my last choice as it's not sturdy enough and won't stop fraying in the long term.

Good luck and hope you find a solution.

JaneJudge Sat 03-Apr-21 10:24:15

a french seam shouldn't be bulky if you trim it before sewing the second time

Nannarose Sat 03-Apr-21 10:35:58

I'd agree with doing trial runs - you will have enough scraps for that. Although I am cautious about fell seams, they can be a nice feature, and I think might work on a shift.
I agree that ordinary zig-zag doesn't really stop fraying.
I would consider a Hong Kong finish using the selvedges from organza, so they don't add any bulk.

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Apr-21 10:45:25

You need some Fray Stop. It’s a liquid specifically for fabric edges and also for gluing fabric together. I quote ‘for a permanent effect, Fray Stop can be ironed’.

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Apr-21 10:48:32

Just a thought, it might be easier if you apply Fray Stop to the cut fabric pieces before sewing up.

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Apr-21 10:51:41

Or iron strips of lightweight interface to the seams?

Susie42 Sat 03-Apr-21 11:48:23

I suggest using the overlock foot on your sewing machine. You should get a good finish on linen.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Apr-21 09:47:12

My “good” linens have run and fell seams whereas my cheap linens are simply overlocked-edge “butterfly” seams.