Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Hand sewing a quilt

(10 Posts)
Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 17:04:06

Does anybody do this? I know we have some talented quilt makers, but I’m not sure if you use machines. I have quite a large stash and fancy having a go at a quilt. I can’t use a sewing machine so wondered if anybody has any tips.

grandMattie Sun 18-Apr-21 17:09:59

I would help if I could but decided I loathe hand quilting. You need a frame - I use a tapestry frame which means I can only quilt smallish pieces at a time.
Look on “Denman at Home” website for help with machining, patch working, etc. I know it’s a WI thingy, but you can use the £5 per hour classes even if you’re not a member.
Good luck.

Peasandcues Sun 18-Apr-21 17:16:17

www.instructables.com/Hand-sewn-Scrap-Quilt/

I have a half finished hand sewn quilt,OP, I used this rather helpful link. I hope that works for you. I can use a sewing machine but quilts look so much nicer when hand sewn and it is possible to hide the imperfect stitches.

vegansrock Sun 18-Apr-21 17:17:16

Do you mean hand piecing the quilt top and then hand quilting it? That will take a long time, but people do it. I have machine quilted the patchwork top, and hand quilted the final piece before. It does give a nice effect, but you do need a quilting frame. Maybe look for a class once they are up and running or have a look at YouTube

Ilovecheese Sun 18-Apr-21 17:20:40

No reason why you shouldn't hand sew a quilt. That's how they used to be sewn after all. It will just take longer but that is not neccessarily a bad thing as hand sewing is such a relaxing and therapeutic occupation.
When it comes to the actual quilting, that is stitching the three layers together, I hand quilt my quilts using a circular frame about 12 inches in diameter, I enjoy it.
I have to warn you though that quilt making is extremely addictive!

JackyB Sun 18-Apr-21 18:49:42

I have been watching several Youtube videos on quilting, although I never do any myself. Of course, they all use machines, but I have seen them use a spray glue to stick the three layers together to prevent them sliding about when doing the quilting, which I think would be a great help if you intend doing it by hand.

They always warn to open all windows before spraying. This video demonstrates a few useful techniques, especially for a larger quilt.

youtu.be/I0j7u8bGW7A

dahlia Sun 18-Apr-21 19:03:36

In the 1970's I made a patchwork quilt by hand and my dear Mum ran the machine along to do the actual quilting. It was admired the other day by our granddaughter. I prefer hand sewing, it can be very soothing!

Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 19:15:12

Thanks all for your replies. Peasandcues that looks really helpful.

I can’t use a sewing machine due to various impairments, but I love hand stitching.

Ngaio1 Sun 18-Apr-21 19:19:58

I made a double quilt many years ag by hand. My daughter is requesting that |I do one for her \I didn't use a frame. It was handy to carry pieces around in a shoe box and, because it was in portable pieces, I could take it with me when going to a friend for coffee.

EilaRose Tue 27-Apr-21 08:41:36

Nothing to stop you hand sewing a quilt but it will be a big job, maybe plan a lap quilt, then if you are still loving it, extend as you go. A wall hanging or framed quilted panel is another option for a first project.

While I do lots of machine sewing/quilting, some years ago I made a hand quilted, wholecloth jacket and the quilting alone took 450 hours and that didn't include assembling the jacket when the quilting was completed. You will need wax (to coat the thread), small 'quilting' needles, good quality thread, several thimbles of varying sizes and sharp thread snips.

My finger tips used to bleed even though I used leather thimbles and I found it worked better if I changed fingers to give the bleeding ones a chance to heal but by the the other fingers were now bleeding. I used to tape my finger tips under the thimbles but of course, the needle eye end would still penetrate. It was a painful project but I persisted, thanks to help from my family as some household chores just weren't possible.

Don't let this put you off though, I only mentioned this to give you an idea of what to expect. Most of all, have fun because you will have a nice quilt at the end.