Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Dying T-shirts but not Logos...

(17 Posts)
swiss2008 Fri 18-Jun-21 23:08:14

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me with a question, I'm going to dye two Abercrombie and Fitch T-Shirts navy blue as they have faded, but the logos are white, is there a way I can stop the dye taking to the logos? Vasaline has been suggested to me but I don't know how to use it...

Thank you in advance!

greenlady102 Fri 18-Jun-21 23:15:04

I think the idea is that you use the vaseline to coat the logo and keep the dye off. Personally I doubt that it would work. Actually I don't know of ANY method that I would guarantee to work...are the logos printed or embroidered? and what are the t shirts made of?...also what colour are they now?

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Jun-21 00:58:04

You need to know what the shirts are made of, ditto the logos.
You can only dye natural fabrics eh cotton.
If the logos are printed on, they more than likely won't take the dye anyway.
If they are embroidered with polyester they won't take the dye either.
For example - I have dyed several white denim jackets various colours successfully, but the manmade stitching resists the dye and remains it's original colour.
The vaseline idea will most definitely not work.
Good luck!

nanna8 Sat 19-Jun-21 01:50:36

I thought for a moment that the T shirt was dead in the uk as a fashion item!

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Jun-21 06:32:17

Vaseline is going to spread onto the cloth and make a mess.
It's just a soft petrol based product so if you need to hot dye it will just cause a greasy patch anyway. If you need a cold dye then I still think it will rub as you stir the cloth in the dye.

What kind of logo is it?

J52 Sat 19-Jun-21 07:06:10

You could cover the Logo in hot wax, as you would do when blocking out areas in Batik. The hardened wax areas do not take the dye when dipped. When the item is dry, cover with brown paper and iron until til the wax has melted away.
Instructions can be found on YouTube.

MawBe Sat 19-Jun-21 08:10:38

nanna8

I thought for a moment that the T shirt was dead in the uk as a fashion item!

gringrin
Sending sympathies!

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Jun-21 08:40:43

J52

You could cover the Logo in hot wax, as you would do when blocking out areas in Batik. The hardened wax areas do not take the dye when dipped. When the item is dry, cover with brown paper and iron until til the wax has melted away.

This of course is only useful for cold dying and even then it will crack.

You probably need a flexible resist..
And knowledge of the fibres involved.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Jun-21 09:22:39

J52

I think that op will be dying her shirts in the washing machine, not dip dying (obviously, I don't know, but that is the usual home dying technique)

swiss2008 Sat 19-Jun-21 14:50:08

Hello, thank you for your reply, they are navy but faded and the logos are embroidered white.

swiss2008 Sat 19-Jun-21 14:51:09

Sorry they are 100% cotton...

swiss2008 Sat 19-Jun-21 14:53:20

FannyCornforth

You need to know what the shirts are made of, ditto the logos.
You can only dye natural fabrics eh cotton.
If the logos are printed on, they more than likely won't take the dye anyway.
If they are embroidered with polyester they won't take the dye either.
For example - I have dyed several white denim jackets various colours successfully, but the manmade stitching resists the dye and remains it's original colour.
The vaseline idea will most definitely not work.
Good luck!

I know the shirts are cotton but not sure where I'd get the info about the logos, hopefully they're syntheitc!

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Jun-21 14:55:34

Hello again
They more than likely are.
Just go for it, is my advice!

swiss2008 Sat 19-Jun-21 14:56:08

NotSpaghetti

Vaseline is going to spread onto the cloth and make a mess.
It's just a soft petrol based product so if you need to hot dye it will just cause a greasy patch anyway. If you need a cold dye then I still think it will rub as you stir the cloth in the dye.

What kind of logo is it?

It's embroidered but I know know what it's made from, I did wonder about the Vaseline getting elsewhere and causing the dye not to stick...

swiss2008 Sat 19-Jun-21 14:57:06

J52

That's an interesting idea, sounds tricky but worth looking into thank you!

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Jun-21 23:26:09

I might be more inclined to try a gutta resist. It will soak better into the fibres of the stitching. It does depend how fiddly the logo is though, irrespective of the resist.

swiss2008 Wed 23-Jun-21 11:50:02

Thank you for all of your replies, ok so I contacted the manufacturer and they told me that their logo was cotton but I was still unconvinced, so I took the plunge and dyed them anyway, the good news is the logos didn't take the dye and are bright white so I suspect they are synthetic, all's well that ends well ;)