Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

OK, let’s hear about your ‘best’ UFO - (unfinished object).

(105 Posts)
Witzend Fri 13-Aug-21 09:46:21

Mine was the long black jacket I was knitting for a sister in the US, after she’d looked for similar while here, and had failed to find what she wanted.

I knitted the whole wretched thing - except for the ‘pick up and knit’ band all up one side, round the neck, and down the other.

Tried and tried, just could not manage it - even worse with black yarn, so hard to see the stitches.
Eventually gave up.
Luckily it was relatively cheap acrylic yarn - had to be easily washable since DSis puts just about everything in the tumble drier.

Callistemon Tue 24-Aug-21 14:56:55

Witzend

Rosiestocks and Callistemon, I dare say the main reason I don’t have unfinished N things, is because we have a very small garden and I would rather do absolutely anything rather than housework!

Witzend we do have quite a large garden but it does need some TLC at the moment too.

I give in if they get to double bed size, itsawelshthing.

Chardy Tue 24-Aug-21 14:53:19

Inspired by your thread, witzend, several years later, I've just completed 1 UFO. Thursday I'll start another.

Witzend Fri 20-Aug-21 16:03:43

However did I miss that one? ?
First prize to kathyd! ???

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Aug-21 08:24:49

Witzend

How long since you started it, Itsawelshthing? We need to know! I think BlueSapphire is the winner so far - 40 years - can anyone beat that?

A few of us, Witzend!

But kathyd is in a league of her own. grin

I might be able to beat all of you. I started a white lawn pintucked and embroidered christening gown, underslip, bib and bonnet for my pregnant friend 62 years ago. I still have it half finished and WILL finish it!

DanniRae Fri 20-Aug-21 07:52:05

Because of this thread I have allowed myself to take a break from a colourful scarf I am knitting - and start a winter hat for my grandson. I always felt I had to finish one thing before starting another but not any more!! grin

Itsawelshthing Thu 19-Aug-21 15:32:33

Witzend

How long since you started it, Itsawelshthing? We need to know! I think BlueSapphire is the winner so far - 40 years - can anyone beat that?

I started it in January 2020! None of my WIPs have lasted this long x

mamaa Thu 19-Aug-21 14:41:06

A smock top started in my needlework class at school probably around 1973, never finished it as I didn’t continue with the subject when selecting from O level options. It was purple, flowery with a square neck, well it would’ve been had it been completed!

Witzend Thu 19-Aug-21 12:54:57

Itsawelshthing Thu 19-Aug-21 07:46:22

King sized crocheted blanket. It's very heavy and I am only about 40% into it! I have no idea why I even started it because I have no motivation now. My current WIPs are socks, a hat, a scarf and I'm about to embark on a sleeveless cabled jumper which I will he steeking into a cardigan for my son.

Witzend Wed 18-Aug-21 12:40:17

Rosiestocks and Callistemon, I dare say the main reason I don’t have unfinished N things, is because we have a very small garden and I would rather do absolutely anything rather than housework!

Witzend Wed 18-Aug-21 12:35:20

Whatdayisit

BlueSapphire

The three cross-stitch cushion covers I made about 40 years ago still waiting to be made up into cushions....

??

Blue Sapphire would appear to be the winner so far!

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 16-Aug-21 14:48:25

Oh glad not just me that has unfinished crafting stuff. But I did decide in lockdown to finish a summer top I started about 4 years ago and got stuck with the pattern and put in a cupboard. I am very pleased to say I did finally finish it and pleased with the result so moving onto the next unfinished garment now......................

DanniRae Mon 16-Aug-21 14:10:33

Daisend1 - grin

Daisend1 Mon 16-Aug-21 13:55:41

Sijverbridge
Whose looking at the jumper ?grin

Linbap Mon 16-Aug-21 13:47:33

Thank you all! I'm relieved I'm not alone!
I had so many plans for things I would work on if we were snowed in for a few days....then we were stuck inside for a year.
I could have had a mountain of completed projects, right?
None. I have no idea what I did last year.

Rosiebee Mon 16-Aug-21 08:47:28

Despite all best efforts, a beautiful crochet cardigan from a supplement with a crochet magazine. Bought all the wool, lots of lovely colours, made up all the motifs only to realise the pattern was faulty. Rejigged it and made the extra motifs needed, but instructions then about putting it together were scanty and misleading. Eventually worked out a way only find the sleeves were ridiculously tight. Unpicked and put in extra panel to make them ok. God loves a trier, but it's been in the naughty corner now for ages as I try and work out the edging bands. Sailing through a blanket at the moment involving 3 types of mosaic crochet. I'm fairly new to this but the pattern is so well written it will get finished.

Whatdayisit Mon 16-Aug-21 07:14:17

BlueSapphire

The three cross-stitch cushion covers I made about 40 years ago still waiting to be made up into cushions....

??

Whatdayisit Mon 16-Aug-21 07:13:21

I started a lovely cross stitch of the world with various animals on when i was pregnant with ds. I went a bit wrong on the elephants trunk so a bit of a BUO too! More than two thirds done it is in my bag of great unfinisheds!
To be fair i have sufferred from carpal tunnel since pregnant with dd2 24 years ago and i have finished a lot of projects. But that is my piece that remains with the needle threaded ready to pick up at any point. DS will be 30 on Friday!

Moth62 Sun 15-Aug-21 23:11:29

Just weeks before she died suddenly, my mum started making me a very pretty cardigan in lavender wool. That was in 2009 and I still have the half-finished back and all the wool. It wouldn’t fit me anyway now, but I’m not a great knitter. Still, I can’t bear to part with it.

Pippa22 Sun 15-Aug-21 23:03:15

Well, thank you. It’s lovely but can’t see how we could have guessed that the mention of N word could lead to us guessing this !

Pammie1 Sun 15-Aug-21 19:16:58

I took up cross stitch 20 years ago and have progressed to quite large and intricate projects. However, a very large, poster sized needlework of a very pretty 1920’s ‘flapper’ defeated me. It’s gorgeous and I would love to see it framed and on the wall, but I worked and worked on it, and eventually gave up because it was just so big. Actually, I may dig it out now and have another look !!

BlueSapphire Sun 15-Aug-21 18:39:22

Yammy Sun 15-Aug-21 17:55:09

After much persuasion, I crocheted an Afghan blanket for my new Granddaughter. Wool had to be got from London online lessons followed as the pattern was not clear about the zigzags,
I finished the rectangle and it needed crocheting all along the four sides. It took ages.
The final finish was pompoms on the corners. I knew how to do them with two circles of card but no I would do them with the fancy gadget they suggested, another weeks work and just about to sew them on when I thought these are not safe for a new baby and put them in a drawer. So really the blanket was never finished. She found the pompoms in a drawer when she was old enough to thread them on a slide and put them in her hair. Never again.

Callistemon Sun 15-Aug-21 17:26:18

Rosiestocks

I've got an unfinished 'N thing' too. It's taken 5 years so far :-(

Oh, thank goodness, Rosiestocks grin

OldHag Sun 15-Aug-21 17:14:56

I think my oldest UFO is a nursery rug which I started when expecting my daughter, now 42! Thinking about finishing it form my GreatGrandson's nursery now, but he's due in October, so I can't see it happening!!