Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting - Star motif in jumper

(14 Posts)
PinkCosmos Tue 15-Feb-22 09:07:23

Can anyone tell me the best way to knit a star into a jumper. I am knitting one similar to the image for my 2 year old GC and have never done it before. I doesn't give any clues in the instructions.

I have Googled but can't come up with anything.

What I was wondering is, do I do the bottom two points with two small balls of white and the triangle between those in blue with a small ball of blue.

I was thinking to do this until I got to the part of the star were there is no blue between the white then just use one ball of white for the rest of the star.

Or, should I carry the blue wool across on the bottom two points. I am worried that this will make it look pulled on the part between the points.

Or do I split the star vertically and use two separate balls for each half and cross the yarn at the back in the middle. I am favouring this approach as I think it may look neater when it is finished

Hope this makes sense and that someone can help.

Luckygirl3 Tue 15-Feb-22 09:11:27

I tell you what I would do - I would knit the front in stocking stitch in base colour, then darn the star shape in. There is a word for this that I have forgotten. Basically you use a large darning needle and sew the star in the same v-shaped pattern as the stitches.

Bit of a cheat - but it works. I did a whole Little Mermaid like this for DD3.

PinkCosmos Tue 15-Feb-22 09:32:36

Luckygirl - thank you. I know what you mean. I thought that method was called intarsia but (upon Googling) I have found out that this is the name for the method I am struggling with. I will try Googling intarsia. Might have a better result now I know the correct term. I was searching for 'knit a star motif in a jumper' - hardly anything came up hmm

I used to knit for my own children when they were young - 30 odd years ago and have just started again when my GC was born. I used to knit motifs then but I think they were much simpler with no gaps IYSWIM

I did think about darning the star over but the background I am knitting is dark blue and the star is white. I was thinking the blue might show through too much.

grandMattie Tue 15-Feb-22 09:34:26

The darning is called Swiss darning, I think. That’s what I’d do, rather than the more complicated intarsia.

PinkCosmos Tue 15-Feb-22 09:36:28

Thanks grandMattie. I am a bit rusty with the terminology at the moment smile

MiniMoon Tue 15-Feb-22 11:15:18

Here is a YouTube video demonstrating how to do intarsia. There are quite a few if you need any more help.

youtu.be/EzMEL2C7EHM

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Feb-22 11:31:36

Good, I’m glad I’ve read this, as I’m also struggling with a star and Christmas tree on a couple of Scandinavian blankets that I’m making for son and daughter. Thought about stitching the pattern on but now this has confirmed it for me.

Thanks.

PollyDolly Tue 15-Feb-22 11:36:56

Luckygirl3

I tell you what I would do - I would knit the front in stocking stitch in base colour, then darn the star shape in. There is a word for this that I have forgotten. Basically you use a large darning needle and sew the star in the same v-shaped pattern as the stitches.

Bit of a cheat - but it works. I did a whole Little Mermaid like this for DD3.

I think it is called Swiss darning but I could be wrong

PollyDolly Tue 15-Feb-22 11:38:13

Sorry grandMattie, that will teach me to read all the comments on a thread.

Allsorts Sun 20-Feb-22 08:19:59

That pattern is an old issue of Woman's Weekly if you can get a copy. I think it’s a great pattern. Knitted heart not a star but want to try to now.

Purplepixie Mon 21-Feb-22 00:55:54

I would Swiss darn the star on the front.

CraftyGranny Thu 24-Feb-22 12:59:36

I agree Purplepixie, Swiss darn the star.

AreWeThereYet Thu 24-Feb-22 15:19:12

PinkCosmos that's a lovely jumper for either a little boy or girl. In fact, without the star I think I would wear that!

Ali08 Tue 29-Mar-22 13:56:35

Yesterday, Him Indoors looked at me and said, with all seriousness, "I thought you said you couldn't knit!"
I was CROCHETING a little blanket for my DGD2s doll.
I did inform him, though, that I can knit - although it takes forever and a month of Sundays - but don't because of my thumbs, they hurt a lot, plus the time it takes, and everyone would be knitting for their own children by the time I'd gotten halfway through!!
I did not, however, tell him that what I'd been looking for had been 'Tunisian knitting', which is crocheting to us but knitting to them. Well, I didn't want to boggle his little mind any more than needed right then! ??