Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

2 more dog/cat blankets for Battersea

(17 Posts)
Purplepixie Tue 22-Feb-22 11:29:55

Thank you to you all for your lovely kind words. If anyone needs anymore instructions then please do not hesitate to PM me. Take care and stay safe.

Callistemon21 Mon 21-Feb-22 11:37:17

Well done - 100+ blankets! That is impressive.

Thanks for the instructions, too, Purplepixie, and the less sewing up the better!

I used to knit squares for refugees and send them away to be joined up by other patient people but I think the charity is no longer functioning.

Gwyneth Mon 21-Feb-22 11:32:52

Thanks for your instructions purplepixie much easier than squares which need sewing together. That’s the bit I hate doing!

Purplepixie Mon 21-Feb-22 11:08:05

I make mine with chunky yarn and DK (both acrylic) knitted together on a size 8mm knitting needle. When I first started to do them I used to knit squares in all different colours - they did look pretty but a nightmare to sew together. DH said that the dogs/cats wouldn’t notice the pretty colours. Now I cast on 23sts and knit long strips to look like squares in any colours that I have in my stash. They sew up so quickly with less ends.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 21-Feb-22 10:04:23

We have a rescue cat from Battersea and she came with a lovely blanket, wonder if it was of yours?

TillyTrotter Mon 21-Feb-22 09:55:33

Your lovely blankets will be much appreciated by the cats waiting for rehoming. They do love to “knead dough” don’t they?
I think the blankets are charming and you are a very generous person with 100 donated. Well done! ? ? ?

Witzend Mon 21-Feb-22 09:50:05

Can I ask, Purplepixie, what sort of yarn you use? It looks like maybe double strand DK? I’m using that for a ‘human’ blanket at the mo - I still have masses - so IMO it’d also be lovely and warm for furry ones.

nanna8 Mon 21-Feb-22 09:34:29

They are lovely,purple pixie. We have 2 rescue kittens and they love my hand crocheted blankets, gives them warmth and comfort and they like to knead them.

Shandy57 Mon 21-Feb-22 09:20:40

How lovely of you. I visited a student on work experience at Battersea and in the 90's they only had a concrete dip to lie in, these will be lovely.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 21-Feb-22 09:16:49

How lovely. They will give so much comfort. Made with love.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Feb-22 08:10:55

Oh they are lovely. Lucky dogs smile

Gwyneth Mon 21-Feb-22 08:07:42

What a lovely thing to do Purplepixie. I think I will make one when I have finished the jumper I’m knitting as I have a lot of spare wool.

Whiff Mon 21-Feb-22 08:07:18

Purplepixie they are beautiful. You are a multi talented woman. Do you teach arts and crafts? As you have the skills with craft as well as your beautiful paintings . Green with envy ?

Witzend Mon 21-Feb-22 08:02:41

A hundred! What an achievement. They are brilliant - and many thanks for reminding me about these - such a good way to use up a lot of my stash once current WIPs are done with.

Lauren59 Mon 21-Feb-22 05:06:16

That’s a beautiful gift of your time and talent! Thank you for caring about the comfort of the animals.

absent Mon 21-Feb-22 03:20:30

How lovely and how kind! I'm not sure that the dogs will be impressed by the colours because they see colours differently, but I am. One hundred is astonishing and I admire your commitment. I have had two rescue dogs and an almost unaccountable number of cared-for in my house feral cats. We're not, but we be could be sisters.

Purplepixie Mon 21-Feb-22 00:54:46

Hi, I have just finished two more dog/cat blankets for Battersea, a charity that I am very passionate about. So far I have made over 100 of these blankets for them. Thank you for looking.