Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Marriner Yarns - Crochet

(6 Posts)
UserNamesAreOverrated Wed 13-Apr-22 16:36:04

Are the Marriner crochet patterns written in US or UK crochet terms? My pattern calls for dtr clusters which I'm happy with but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

All help gratefully received. I did email Marriner using their contact form but it bounced back as Undeliverable (which doesn't inspire me all that much).

Ailidh Wed 13-Apr-22 16:54:59

What are the other stitches listed?

My rule of thumb is that if any pattern includes SC, then it must be in US terms, as it doesn't exist in UK terms.

TR and multiples thereof are trickier, because they could be either but HDC is a good US marker too, as UK would normally give that as HTR.

OakDryad Wed 13-Apr-22 18:28:58

I agree with Ailidh on pattern terms. Marriner are based in Cardiff. I see that their heavier yarns are called chunky. A US company would usually say bulky so I would hazard an assumption that your pattern uses UK terms.

Chardy Wed 13-Apr-22 18:54:43

Ailidh

What are the other stitches listed?

My rule of thumb is that if any pattern includes SC, then it must be in US terms, as it doesn't exist in UK terms.

TR and multiples thereof are trickier, because they could be either but HDC is a good US marker too, as UK would normally give that as HTR.

Yes, definitely

MiniMoon Wed 13-Apr-22 19:55:32

I looked up mariner crochet patterns and since the yarn they suggest is DK I would expect these are UK crochet terms/patterns. The US doesn't have DK, their equivalent would be light worsted.

UserNamesAreOverrated Thu 14-Apr-22 07:35:07

Thank you all very much! I'm relieved because I love the pattern and it will be a cinch to crochet but will look good - provided I'm getting it right.

I'll use UK and again - thanks!