Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

How much to charge?

(19 Posts)
Witzend Fri 15-Apr-22 10:37:33

In a month or two a friend will be holding a ‘garden sale’ in aid of a children’s cancer charity, sadly too close to home for friends of theirs.

There will be a toy stall, so I thought I’d make maybe 3 of these - I’ve already half finished the first (some may remember that I’ve made one before). The basket is about 6 inches long.

I know she’s bound to ask me how much to charge for them.
I’m well aware that the amount of work things have taken is of little account when selling crafts - if they’re priced too high they just don’t sell. It’s nothing to me, since none of the money will come to me, but what do you think? £6.50 or 7.50?
Too much/too little? No sense in having them left over at the end.

Shandy57 Fri 15-Apr-22 10:45:43

I appreciate the work you've put into this, and the price of the wool, but I think people like even numbers. It's difficult isn't it with everyone so conscious of money at the moment.

I'd get a choc bunny to hide behind the pillow in the basket, and charge £8.00.

Elizabeth27 Fri 15-Apr-22 11:48:15

I would pay £7.50, it is worth more but as you say, too high and it won't sell.

Redhead56 Fri 15-Apr-22 11:49:16

What a delightful little gift time and effort making it probably a lot more but £6 display it in some pretty wrapping.

ExDancer Fri 15-Apr-22 11:55:40

I'd pay £7.50 happily.
Its actually worth more as you say, bearing in mind the cost of the materials and the time and skill that's gone into making it.
Sadly it wouldn't sell for £10 unless you were in a very affluent neighbourhood, pity but true.

Esspee Fri 15-Apr-22 15:16:38

I would have thought it would sell for £10. It is really lovely.

Grannynannywanny Fri 15-Apr-22 15:23:21

They are lovely. Could she maybe sell raffle tickets for one of them eg £1 for a strip of tickets? It might bring in more cash that way.

crazyH Fri 15-Apr-22 15:26:07

£10

Nannagarra Fri 15-Apr-22 15:51:33

I think your bunny in a basket is absolutely delightful.
It reminds me of Maileg toys. Have you seen them?

Doodledog Fri 15-Apr-22 15:51:34

I would say £10 too, but as a knitter I know that a lot of work goes into these things, and never knit to sell, for that reason.

I think that when people think about buying gifts they think in round numbers for expected prices. You could offer one for £10 and two for £16, so that someone buying for two children doesn’t have to fork out as much. Everyone loves a bargain, and you would still be getting £8 each for the pair.

Happysexagenarian Sun 17-Apr-22 15:42:23

I agree with Doodledog, £10 each or two for £16. People are surprisingly generous when it comes to children's charities, especially cancer related. Again shoppers prefer round numbers, it's easier to hand over a note than count out change.

They're really delightful Witzend I'm sure they'll be snapped up.

Shelflife Tue 26-Apr-22 15:40:07

I am not a knitter but appreciate how much work has gone into this. Prior to reading any posts my immediate thought was £10. By today's standards this is not a great deal , I would be very happy to pay £10. It is all for a very good cause. You could always reduce the price if necessary - but if you need to do this I would suggest pounds only , no pence!

Shelflife Tue 26-Apr-22 15:41:33

Forgot to say , how delightful it is . Good luck.

Nannagarra Tue 26-Apr-22 15:51:01

Just a thought Witzend… having bought requested brothers for toys in the last few months, could you knit this in blue and sell the matching pair?

Witzend Tue 26-Apr-22 19:11:32

I might well make a blue one, Nannagarra - the plan is for maybe four, in different colours.
I don’t feel like making more, in case they don’t sell easily. But I thought 4 assorted ones would make a nice ‘bunny nursery’ on the stall!

If they do sell well, though (the charity sale isn’t going to be until early September now) I will probably make some more for Gdcs’ school Christmas fair.

Nannagarra Thu 28-Apr-22 10:42:39

Oh, they sound lovely Witzend. How can a “bunny nursery” not appeal? I’m sure they’ll sell well. Will you post your completed bunnies?

Bellanonna Thu 28-Apr-22 11:06:27

It’s delightful. I envy you your skill. I would charge £10. As someone mentioned, it’s for a children’s charity. I would readily pay £10, but agree you will need blue and white too. Best of luck.

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Apr-22 11:35:39

I think it's likely to sell better as a Peter Rabbit type gift than in pink as it will "distance" it from Easter - which as we all know has a link with both baskets and bunnies.
If I were to consider buying one I wouldn't want it to feel as though it was left over from Easter and that it was an acceptable gift (maybe with a little carrot?) at any time of year.
It IS really lovely and should be £10 i think - but I would definitely not put an egg in it.

Grammy666 Sat 16-Jul-22 07:31:09

Oh your Bunny is so sweet ..and an ideal gift for a new born ... Can you do Ebay ? ... or is there anyone who can put them on for you ... maybe the Charity ? ... Good Luck ...