Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Another ‘mindless TV knitting’ blanket, officially a stash buster, but….

(5 Posts)
Witzend Fri 22-Apr-22 08:07:11

I still have so much yarn to use up, but couldn’t face another blanket like the last - it took forever.

So I’m going to try one on a fatter circular needle, 8mm instead of 5, with a strand of chunky and one of DK, instead of 2 x DK.
So much for stash busting - I’ve just bought 3 big balls of chunky!
But first I need to knit a trial piece to work out how many stitches to cast on - rather fewer than the 220 last time, I hope!
Maybe this one might even be finished before winter, ?.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 22-Apr-22 08:35:15

I have a large amount of stash wool and I am trying to knit a rainbow of colours jumper for the winter. We both need good luck

OakDryad Fri 22-Apr-22 09:06:23

I’ve knitted designer Stephen West’s Garter Squish blanket several times.

Free pattern on Ravelry but essentially:

10mm circular needle
Worsted weight held double

CO 126 sts
K123, sl3 wyif

Repeat until size you want.

BO loosely (K2tog tbl, slip st back to left ndl) rpt

I made most of mine in Stylecraft Special DK blending a solid colour with a neutal to give a marled effect.

This creates a very soft squishy blanket about 120 cm wide. You could play around with stitch count, needle size and yarn weight for different sizes and firmness.

Witzend Fri 22-Apr-22 12:58:55

Thank you, *OakDryad’ but I have such a mass of different colours to use up, I think I’ll stick to my random 2 colour rows, ends made into tassels.

I just made a small trial piece, so it looks as if 180 sts (all garter st) will make a 5 foot wide (just over 150 cm) blanket. Then 3 sections of 24” each.
Should be a lot quicker to make than the previous one!

Gongoozler Fri 22-Apr-22 16:52:50

Have you thought of doing the one where you start with say 3 stitches and increase at each end of alternate rows? Then decreasing when you reach the required size (or get fed up). I find it useful for using up really small oddments if I’m making a “rainbow” blanket. Also it seems to grow quickly!