Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

The Great British Sewing Bee

(239 Posts)
Millie22 Fri 22-Apr-22 10:54:41

? Sewing Bee is back ? next Wednesday with a new presenter.

henetha Thu 30-Jun-22 10:21:06

What a good final that was. They are all brilliant. I was surprised that Brogan didn't quite reach her former standard, but understand now I know she is pregnant.
I do hope there is another series soon.

TillyTrotter Thu 30-Jun-22 09:58:03

Annie was the deserving winner and all 4 were worthy finalists.
The outfit with the feature bow at the back - wow!
I too thought Brogan lost a bit of her enthusiasm but now, knowing she is pregnant, it’s not so surprising.
Maybe she didn’t want to win.
The made to measures are always the most exciting pieces, I hope next year they stop the middle challenge of making something from nothing. (A hammock was one of them during this series ?)

Visgir1 Thu 30-Jun-22 08:52:17

Lovely, program, agree Annie correct choice last night but the others did fantasticly well.
Yep Brogan went off the boil, technically good but no variation

The Bow on Annie's Jumpsuit, definitely a winner for Esme, I knew she was a Legend but I don't know much about her.
Think I might get her book as well.

Looking forward to next year's series.

DanniRae Thu 30-Jun-22 08:29:33

Not long now till I get Esme's book for my birthday (tomorrow!) and I can't wait to read it! My daughter is going to read it after me.
Really loved the final - watched it this morning as Mr R didn't want to watch it with me. (He's a strange one and has no interest in sewing grin) I didn't mind who won - except Brogan (sorry Brogan) - and was delighted for Annie!

Sparklefizz Thu 30-Jun-22 07:36:32

I thought Annie's jumpsuit definitely fitted the "red carpet" brief whereas Debra's didn't. As Debra said herself, she was making it for her model to wear on her hen night in Blackpool. I wanted Annie to win as I said upthread. She produced some wonderful pieces.

Perhaps Brogan wasn't feeling too well ... she recently announced her pregnancy.

It's been a brilliant series. According to Esme's book she is still partying with Joe.

Joseanne Thu 30-Jun-22 07:27:18

I think Annie made the most progress throughout the programmes, and coupled with her sense of style, was destined to win.
I'd like to have been in that close knit band of four friends at the end. Such nice people and very supportive families too.
Esme is an interesting person with her stories from the past.

Calendargirl Thu 30-Jun-22 06:17:45

Brogan seemed to lose interest somehow

I think it was because she knew she shouldn’t really have got into the final. The judges ought to have eliminated her last week.

grannydarkhair Thu 30-Jun-22 01:17:21

Although I would have loved Debra to win, I think Annie definitely deserved first place. That bow was amazing. Debra’s jumpsuit wasn’t really catwalk worthy, although it was the most wearable of the four. I don’t think Brogan deserved to be in the final, her style/taste never really developed throughout the series.

CaravanSerai Wed 29-Jun-22 23:37:21

I am so glad Annie won. The Bowie jacket, the crossover evening gown, the origami dress and now the fab jump suit. It looked fantastic on her model. She was the most consistent in the final challenges and always met the brief.

Debra and Man Yee's amorphous dresses were so good too.

It's been an excellent series and I shall miss it.

Parsley3 Wed 29-Jun-22 23:33:56

My recording cut off just before the made to measure challenge.....thank you Wimbledon...... but I managed to find it on iPlayer. Annie’s big bow was a show stopper. I wished that Man Yee had not chosen that colour as her jumpsuit would have looked stunning in, say, black.

Deedaa Wed 29-Jun-22 23:23:39

And two babies!

grannyactivist Wed 29-Jun-22 23:09:52

I liked all four finalists and admire their creativity, however I was rooting for Annie and Man Yee and was unsurprised that Annie won - though there was nothing to choose between the two of them.

It was the bow that won it of course!

Grandmabatty Wed 29-Jun-22 23:04:54

I'm glad Annie won. I thought Man Yee might swing it but Annie's jump suit was very dramatic. Brogan seemed to lose interest somehow.

annodomini Wed 29-Jun-22 22:29:23

That bow won it for Annie! Esmé's reaction to it said it all!

Casdon Wed 29-Jun-22 22:21:24

I actually preferred all Man Yee’s outfits to Annie’s tonight, but I’m pleased Annie won because she’s produced some excellent outfits over the weeks, and she’s so modest.

Chardy Wed 29-Jun-22 22:18:47

To see them all helping and supporting each other this week (and last too) was as lovely as their work. Probably the best show as the series.

aggie Wed 29-Jun-22 22:14:54

It was a well deserved win , all her garments were great tonight

GrandmasueUK Wed 29-Jun-22 22:11:54

That jumpsuit of Annie’s was gorgeous. So pleased she won. Love watching the catch-up with the other competitors. Spent my time saying “Aw” at each one, especially at the babies ones!

BlueBelle Wed 29-Jun-22 22:04:55

I was routing for Annie and Man wee
Both did very dramatic jump suits Annie’s looked lovely on her model
I think Brogan went off the boil the last few weeks and the other lady’s was more ordinary

Beautful Wed 29-Jun-22 22:04:08

Calendar girl

Agree on both of your points !

Well done Annie you deserved it !!!

Calendargirl Wed 29-Jun-22 21:59:13

Pleased Annie won.

Was finding Brogan’s voice increasingly irritating.

GrandmasueUK Wed 29-Jun-22 21:32:35

I’ve read Esme’s book and loved the relationship she has with Joe Lycett. I like the finalists but I do get a bit fed up with partners/parents/children saying: “it will boost their confidence if they win/they don’t know how good they are.” Well, up to a point they must believe they are in with a chance of winning. I wonder when people had to win any sort of competition to make their family proud of them as well. Were they not proud of them before?

Deedaa Wed 29-Jun-22 21:30:45

Bloody BBC doing it again! They must know months ahead when finals like tonight are going to be on!

I love Esme and loved her book. She made me feel a real stick in the mud. There she was in the 70s living in squats while I was getting a house and a mortgage! I wonder if she seems a bit quieter now Joe's gone. She is very good friends with him.

BlueBelle Wed 29-Jun-22 21:15:22

I couldn’t find it fora few minutes as my TV guide on screen was still giving it for BBC1

Calendargirl Wed 29-Jun-22 21:03:54

Not good if you’ve set it to record.

Move Wimbledon to BBC2, for goodness sake.