Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What's your least favourite sewing task?

(58 Posts)
Trisha57 Fri 06-May-22 19:47:01

For me it's hemming, not by hand (I avoid that like the plague) but on the sewing machine. I love putting together a pattern and learning new techniques and skills. But at the end of all that work, hemming is so boring and I just want to get it over with and have the finished garment. What about you?

Trisha57 Sat 07-May-22 09:33:35

I can knit a bit, but my mum was such a good fast knitter that it was always easier to get her to finish off anything I'd started! She was a court dressmaker before she had children, and I can still hear her in my head when I'm sewing saying "Don't bodge it!!!"

Esmay Sat 07-May-22 12:25:57

In the past -I've loved designing , choosing fabric and cutting out then main stitching it together-but I hate stitching in gathers on the machine .
In fact, I avoided them if possible !
I used to put pleats in rather than gathers .

I love hand beading and embroidery and prefer to make my own designs .

icanhandthemback Sat 07-May-22 12:32:48

I hate all the finishing off bits like the hemming. However, I have recently got into changing bought items into something I like better by redesigning them to suit and there isn't quite so much "finishing off."
I am very heartened by the many younger people who are really getting enthusiastic about making their own clothes. My daughter now makes most of her children's clothes including their underwear. She made me some undies for my Birthday and they were so comfortable.

Kim19 Sat 07-May-22 12:34:48

Any sewing is an absolute aberration to me. However I've always enjoyed joining up the knitted pieces. I did them as each piece was completed which made the chore less onerous and it spurred me on to garment comp!etion.

Witzend Sun 08-May-22 09:19:07

Callistemon21

Sewing up knitting.

At least I completed a task last evening that I had delayed doing.

I take it that wasn’t the N-thing, Callistemon21!

Callistemon21 Sun 08-May-22 10:30:01

No, it wasn't Witzend ?

But I will, I will, I will!

nanna8 Sun 08-May-22 10:57:50

Definitely sewing up knitting also. I sometimes make blankets and now I crochet them in long lines to avoid any sewing. I don’t like sewing on buttons, either.

Granny23 Sun 08-May-22 12:23:10

When my DDs were wee, I had a multi pattern which could be used for dresses, pinafore dresses, dungarees and hot pants. I made loads of these for the girls, sometimes matching, sometimes quite different as they could chose their own fabric. 'Fabric'usually sourced from charity shops. Fashions had changed and the shops had many full skirted dresses and skirts for next to nothing, each easily enough for two child sized garments. I preferred sewing to knitting as I could run up to dresses in an evening.

Now my arthritic fingers and poor eyesight make even threading a needle difficult but I still take up hems, sew on buttons and darn. Big obvious darns and patches are requested by the DGC and DGS must have the world's biggest collection of Hand Knitted beanie Hats.

Witzend Sun 08-May-22 13:09:19

I don’t mind sewing up knitting, but that’s largely because nothing very demanding is needed for the sort of things I make - just over-sewing or backstitch.

Yesterday I sewed up the R hand basket and attached the frill - still have to make mattress, pillow and bunny! I’ve promised a ‘litter’ of bunnies for a charity sale, but that won’t be until early September.

Callistemon21 Sun 08-May-22 13:15:02

nanna8

Definitely sewing up knitting also. I sometimes make blankets and now I crochet them in long lines to avoid any sewing. I don’t like sewing on buttons, either.

Have you tried the Continous Join As You Go method, nanna8?

I followed a YouTube video by Hooked by Robin and found it makes joining crochet squares enjoyable!

(Other instructors available)

Chardy Mon 09-May-22 10:35:32

Sewing up knitting and crochet. (I have a friend whose favourite task is sewing up knitting and crochet! And no I don't ask her to do mine!)

Purplepixie Tue 10-May-22 12:49:14

Buttons! I hate them because I have a button phobia! I feel sick just looking at them but I force myself to sew them on.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 10-May-22 16:47:56

I love sewing but I think it's the finishing off which I don't enjoy. So much is riding on it as it must be neat or it'll look like a sore thumb and spoil the entire look of the item. After all that effort it can be a bit of a let down so I tend to procrastinate.

grannyrebel7 Tue 10-May-22 16:53:33

I'm surprised anyone mends things these days. My sewing is restricted to sewing on buttons. I haven't made anything since about 1966 when I was in school!

Eloethan Tue 10-May-22 20:10:32

Sewing. Can't even sew on a button properly.

lixy Tue 10-May-22 20:17:31

Name tags in school uniform - seemed to go on for ever and I thought I'd done with it when the children left school. But then MiL moved into a nursing home...!

Callistemon21 Tue 10-May-22 21:05:53

lixy

Name tags in school uniform - seemed to go on for ever and I thought I'd done with it when the children left school. But then MiL moved into a nursing home...!

Oh, I forgot those!

I still have some in my sewing box although the "children" are in their 40s now

JackyB Wed 11-May-22 04:23:09

Threading the needle.

grandMattie Wed 11-May-22 05:51:16

Another one for sewing up knitting. I do it very well but loathe doing it,
Buttons also are a pet hate. Badly finished hems which need redoing on purchased garments? Ditto

Witzend Wed 11-May-22 10:49:51

Hemming by hand, especially the two sets of curtains I made for a dd. Never got the hang of doing it on the machine.

Buttons are tedious, too - esp. the fiddling little ones that come off dh’s shirts.
I don’t so much mind big ones. Once bought a cardi in M&S that was ruined by the most ghastly big buttons* - God knows what they were thinking of. I went straight to John Lewis’s haberdashery dept. for some infinitely nicer ones, and was happy to sew them on. Still wearing that cardi several years later.

*Brown plastic imitations of the leather ones you used to see on old men’s cardigans. Beyond hideous!

Shinamae Wed 11-May-22 10:56:21

Sewing?ironing?… i’m afraid I’m out ?

Yammy Wed 11-May-22 11:03:28

Mending things for DH that should go in the recycle bin. I don't know how he takes his jumpers off but he manages to get holes at the back or under the arms.
When I knitted I used to crochet the seams on the knitting or do chain stitch which seemed to work.

Blossoming Wed 11-May-22 11:22:49

JackyB

Threading the needle.

I feel your pain.

saltnshake Wed 11-May-22 11:30:05

Magic sewing - I put on a story tape or music and sew away. I am often surprised I have finished already. I have friends who make quilts but hate quilting large quilts, they now "quilt by cheque book".

Happysexagenarian Sat 04-Jun-22 17:05:26

Unpicking machine stitching.